what mask do I buy to protect against coronavirus?

Windows95
Go to solution Solved by Blade of Grass,

Gonna lock this cause it’s obviously very out of date. 
Please use the COVID mega thread 

17 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

You can still find on amazon many masks with amovible filters for ~30€. You can change the filters easily and you can buy more filters separately

The UV sanituzer won't work. You'll need to change the filter.

WHY?

It's a PARTICLE filter. So UV sanitizing won't remove the particles, even if it kills the germs. And you can't "wash" the filters either.

so which one would u recommend? amazon link? are they hepa filters?

it would still be good to put the thing on an uv machine IMO..before touching it with your fingers and stuff

you go on any amazon website delivering in your country.

You type "N95 or N99 mask" in your language.

Take your pick.

An NO, they are not HEPA filters.

71TgLg0-m-L._SL1500_.jpg

2 hours ago, circeseye said:

i have this ww2 gas mask id use if it was in my area lol

A joke, but should you ever need such...

Does it still seal?

Will the straps keep holding?

Do you know how to put it on so it can seal?

Are you clean shaven, freshly shaven and have a receding hairline?

Does it filter droplets?

Does it filter aerosols?

Is the filter intact or will it pass what its expected to filter?

Can you buy replacements?

Will any biologicals trapped by the filter die or thrive & multiply?

Good luck with that if you do ever need it...

5 hours ago, Windows95 said:

so which one would u recommend? amazon link? are they hepa filters?

it would still be good to put the thing on an uv machine IMO..before touching it with your fingers and stuff

I've googled around amazon.it, but I've found only crap

However I would like to know how do you get to know if a mask is an original one or it's just some crap with something printed on to bring up the value 

5 minutes ago, greenmax said:

You buy no mask, dont be scared, unless you are in Asian countries.

Well if you live in Italy, mostly likely you might shit in your pants 

1 minute ago, Xvaster said:

Well if you live in Italy, mostly likely you might shit in your pants 

No! No! No!

Fecal Transmission...

You be quarantined fast! While they do the tests.

2 hours ago, Canoe said:

A joke, but should you ever need such...

Does it still seal?  yes

Will the straps keep holding? yes

Do you know how to put it on so it can seal? yes

Are you clean shaven, freshly shaven and have a receding hairline? nope would have to shave the beard

Does it filter droplets? yes variety of filters

Does it filter aerosols? yes variety of filters

Is the filter intact or will it pass what its expected to filter? yes

Can you buy replacements? filters yes, intact functioning masks are harder to come by as years go by

Will any biologicals trapped by the filter die or thrive & multiply? the filers would have to be destroyed

Good luck with that if you do ever need it...

answers up top.....honestly if super worried or paranoid. newer fully functional masks even full head instead of just face, can be gotten online or surplus stores.

4 minutes ago, Eschew said:

Hello, has anyone suggested:

shopping.jpeg.772d1410f2522bbd788f63d1c25a1376.jpeg

If your at ground zero for asian virus, then that would suffice..... maybe.

18 hours ago, Cora_Lie said:

you go on any amazon website delivering in your country.

You type "N95 or N99 mask" in your language.

Take your pick.

An NO, they are not HEPA filters.

71TgLg0-m-L._SL1500_.jpg

why not hepa? afaik hepa are the best filters

and whats better 95 or 99

5 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

why not hepa? afaik hepa are the best filters

HEPA: High-efficiency particulate air

It's made of paper fiber-glass. I don't want that near my  mouth and my lungs.

To learn more about respiratory filters: https://www.osha.gov/dts/shib/respiratory_protection_bulletin_2011.html

5 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

and whats better 95 or 99

95 means 95% particulate filtration.

99 means 99% particulate filtration.

9 hours ago, Cora_Lie said:

HEPA: High-efficiency particulate air

It's made of paper fiber-glass. I don't want that near my  mouth and my lungs.

To learn more about respiratory filters: https://www.osha.gov/dts/shib/respiratory_protection_bulletin_2011.html

95 means 95% particulate filtration.

99 means 99% particulate filtration.

im gonna buy an air purifier and ive read hepa is the best, but apparently not safe for mask

10 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

im gonna buy an air purifier and ive read hepa is the best, but apparently not safe for mask

*SIGH*

"name your search engine" is your friend...

https://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/AirQuality/IndoorAir/Fiberglass

How can fiberglass affect my health?

When a person inhales fiberglass, larger fibers may be trapped in the upper airway. Smaller fibers may be inhaled deep into the lungs. Inhaled fibers are removed from the body partially through sneezing or coughing, and through the body’s defense mechanisms. Fiberglass that reaches the lungs may remain in the lungs or the thoracic region. Ingested fiberglass is removed from the body via feces.

Short-term Exposure

Direct contact with fiberglass or breathing airborne dust containing fiberglass may irritate the skin, eyes, nose, and throat. The symptoms of irritation are often nonspecific, temporary, and may include itching, coughing, or wheezing. High levels of exposure to airborne fiberglass may aggravate existing asthma or bronchitis-like conditions.

http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/factsheets/fiberglass.htm

How can fiberglass affect my health?

Health effects from exposure to fiberglass can be different depending on the fiber size and type of exposure. Larger fibers have been found to cause skin, eye and upper respiratory tract irritation. There are other possible health effects:

• A rash can appear when the fibers become embedded in the outer layer of the skin. No long-term health effects should occur from touching fiberglass.
  • Eyes may become red and irritated after exposure to fiberglass.
  • Soreness in the nose and throat can result when fibers are inhaled. Asthma and bronchitis can be aggravated by exposure to fiberglass.
  • Temporary stomach irritation may occur if fibers are swallowed.

Little information is known about the health effects caused by small fibers. Smaller fibers have the ability to reach the lower part of the lungs increasing the chance of adverse health effects.

People who work with fiberglass or who have worn-out duct work lined with fiberglass in their homes or workplace may have long-term exposure to fiberglass. There is no evidence that fiberglass causes cancer in people. Animal studies have shown an increased risk of cancer when fiberglass fibers were implanted in the lung tissue of rats, but these studies are controversial because of how the fibers were implanted. Based on these animal studies, the International Agency for Research on Cancer has classified some fibers used in fiberglass as possible human carcinogens (cancer causing agents).

As I said: I don't want fiberglass anywhere near my mouth or my lungs... ^o^

1 hour ago, Cora_Lie said:

*SIGH*

"name your search engine" is your friend...

https://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/AirQuality/IndoorAir/Fiberglass

http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/factsheets/fiberglass.htm

As I said: I don't want fiberglass anywhere near my mouth or my lungs... ^o^

HEPA filters are used in hospitals in air purifiers, its safe

On 2/16/2020 at 9:53 AM, Canoe said:

And yet a study found that for hospital staff wearing any mask or respirator (as in, N95, N99, N100), they all resulted in equal protection against SARS (another coronavirus), reducing infections in staff by 85%.

Yeah N95 respirators are supposed to be pretty good because I read it was recommend for use when an area is affected by wildfires to avoid smoke and ash inhalation.

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

21 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

HEPA filters are used in hospitals in air purifiers, its safe

Well... Please, help yourself and breathe through a HEPA filter less than an inch from your mouth ?

But then why ask questions if you already decided the right answer?

On 2/26/2020 at 2:39 AM, Cora_Lie said:

Well... Please, help yourself and breathe through a HEPA filter less than an inch from your mouth ?

But then why ask questions if you already decided the right answer?

HEPA filters are safe, at least in air purifiers, IQair is used in tons of hospitals. In China (and increasing in any city) not using an air purifier in your room is a mistake. Now, specifically used in a mask, I dont know because I havent researched this. Could you point me to your data to prove why you are this paranoid about HEPA filters? if they weren't safe, why are they used in all hospitals?

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/health/2020/02/27/coronavirus-beards-CDC-prevent-shave/stories/202002270116

"In an updated FAQ as of a couple weeks ago, the CDC stated it does not recommend the use of respirators outside of work. It also does not recommend the use of face masks to protect yourself against the coronavirus unless recommended by your doctor.

“A facemask should be used by people who have COVID-19 and are showing symptoms,” the CDC wrote. “This is to protect others from the risk of getting infected. The use of facemasks also is crucial for health workers and other people who are taking care of someone infected with COVID-19 in close settings.”"

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

17 hours ago, Windows95 said:

HEPA filters are safe, at least in air purifiers, ...

Correct. In air purifiers.

17 hours ago, Windows95 said:

... Now, specifically used in a mask, I dont know because I havent researched this. Could you point me to your data to prove why you are this paranoid about HEPA filters? if they weren't safe, why are they used in all hospitals?

It has been explained to you why they are not safe to use on your face. It is the way they are constructed. There is no "data", HEPA filters are installed in a housing that protects them from harm while they are doing their filtering, so they aren't damaged. You can repurpose a small HEPA filter into a portable pack with an air line to your face. One doctor has done this to provide positive pressure filtered air to a hood for his face.

Masks/respirators are designed to be worn on the face. Depending on the specific way each is constructed, they can tolerate different levels of flexing without fracturing and letting what they are meant to filter through. Read their specifications and their instructions for fit & use.

Filter specifications like N95, N99 and N100 are very specifically described. Links in this thread are a starting point. Go read.

You're better off protecting yourself with nutrients. Your body can protect against anything if it's given what it needs to do so. Use nutrient-dense vegetable powders like wheatgrass and chlorella. If you're especially paranoid, throw in something like liposomized vitamin c. You'll be fine.

Surgeon General wants everyone to stop hoarding these

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti