what mask do I buy to protect against coronavirus?

Windows95
Go to solution Solved by Blade of Grass,

Gonna lock this cause it’s obviously very out of date. 
Please use the COVID mega thread 

19 hours ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

You're better off protecting yourself with nutrients. Your body can protect against anything if it's given what it needs to do so. Use nutrient-dense vegetable powders like wheatgrass and chlorella. If you're especially paranoid, throw in something like liposomized vitamin c. You'll be fine.

[citation needed]

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

23 hours ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

You're better off protecting yourself with nutrients. Your body can protect against anything if it's given what it needs to do so. Use nutrient-dense vegetable powders like wheatgrass and chlorella. If you're especially paranoid, throw in something like liposomized vitamin c. You'll be fine.

1 hour ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

[get it yourself]

false claim unless cited

1 hour ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

[get it yourself]

Points docked for not following proper APA/MLA citation format.

Tut, tut. ?

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

33 minutes ago, Canoe said:

false claim unless cited

Then don’t follow it ?

2 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

Then don’t follow it ?

If was true, you'd cite it...

2 minutes ago, Canoe said:

If was true, you'd cite it...

If you cared, you’d look it up yourself. I, personally, do not.

Just now, BecauseICanTBH said:

If you cared, you’d look it up yourself. I, personally, do not.

Yet, you posted it - without a cite.

False unless cited.

Well becauseicantbh is not all wrong, the Coronavirus is more lethal to weak people. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

18 hours ago, williamcll said:

Well becauseicantbh is not all wrong, the Coronavirus is more lethal to weak people. 

As long as you keep fairly active you should be fine even if you do get it. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

• 3 weeks later...

I should have bought a mask when it was still possible. fucking hell

• 10 months later...
On 2/28/2020 at 8:04 PM, Canoe said:

Correct. In air purifiers.

It has been explained to you why they are not safe to use on your face. It is the way they are constructed. There is no "data", HEPA filters are installed in a housing that protects them from harm while they are doing their filtering, so they aren't damaged. You can repurpose a small HEPA filter into a portable pack with an air line to your face. One doctor has done this to provide positive pressure filtered air to a hood for his face.

Masks/respirators are designed to be worn on the face. Depending on the specific way each is constructed, they can tolerate different levels of flexing without fracturing and letting what they are meant to filter through. Read their specifications and their instructions for fit & use.

Filter specifications like N95, N99 and N100 are very specifically described. Links in this thread are a starting point. Go read.

Funny how this thread looks in perspective. Now LG has released a mask with HEPA filters:

https://www.lg.com/hk_en/puricare/lg-ap300awfa

Filters are "H13 HEPA Filters". So im assuming these safe to use? What makes them safe to use if people here said HEPA aren't safe to use near your face? Everyone that dennied use of mask was also wrong about use of HEPA filters?

I can pick one of these for 150€, pricey but maintainance is safer than ffp2 masks which I need to go on a train filled with people. Also I wouldn't suffocate wearing the mask because this mask filters out air and allows fresh air on it while ffp2 are too closed and regular ones are just useless. So this looks like the best solution so far. Anyone has one?

My 2 complains would be that it weights 130g, so not sure how comfortable that will be, then having a battery next to your face im not sure how safe that is.

Protect who?  Home made masks generally don’t protect YOU from getting corona.  What they do do is protect others. This is why everyone wears one. It’s not your mask that protects you it’s other peoples masks. And since according to everyone but you you are other people you wear one too.  It’s not about protecting your tissues so much as reducing contaminated atmosphere which has the knock-on effect of protecting your tissues.  

To actually protect yourself personally from infection in an already contaminated atmosphere is apparently possible but is a massive PITA. N95/kf94 masks THAT FIT CORRECTLY are one basic step then Theres the face shield which protects your eyes. The virus needs to get to something wet.  Eyes apparently count. Skin is a barrier, but you can pick up virus that settles on skin and possibly transfer it (there’s this lesson using glitter which explains how stuff can transfer this way) so decontam is a complete wash of everything.  Full suits are mostly used so clothes under them can remain in contaminated.  It becomes a question of which is the bigger PITA along with specifics from the glitter lesson.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Buy Razer Project Hazel RGB.

lol jk thats just a concept now.

Heres a tip: Don't buy N95 masks they're not even breathable and you don't need them unless you work as a full time covid doctor. Git standard masks instead

Cool meme inside:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

ifyoucanreadthisthenyour vision is remarkable

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Protect who?  Home made masks generally don’t protect YOU from getting corona.  What they do do is protect others. This is why everyone wears one. It’s not your mask that protects you it’s other peoples masks. And since according to everyone but you you are other people you wear one too.  It’s not about protecting your tissues so much as reducing contaminated atmosphere which has the knock-on effect of protecting your tissues.  

To actually protect yourself personally from infection in an already contaminated atmosphere is apparently possible but is a massive PITA. N95/kf94 masks THAT FIT CORRECTLY are one basic step then Theres the face shield which protects your eyes. The virus needs to get to something wet.  Eyes apparently count. Skin is a barrier, but you can pick up virus that settles on skin and possibly transfer it (there’s this lesson using glitter which explains how stuff can transfer this way) so decontam is a complete wash of everything.  Full suits are mostly used so clothes under them can remain in contaminated.  It becomes a question of which is the bigger PITA along with specifics from the glitter lesson.

see post above

On 3/2/2020 at 6:36 AM, Lord Vile said:

As long as you keep fairly active you should be fine even if you do get it. 

Depends.  There are a lot of mitigating factors that people don’t understand very well.  Immunosuppression and inflammation response are well known one that is fairly obvious, but there are a bunch of things that can affect that which make the presence of either kind of invisible.  Advanced weight, age, and smoking status all can affect one or both of those things.  One of the tricks appears to be avoiding a cytokine storm.  Knowing whether you will have one is still not very predictable though.  Very generally good health and youth (being under 40 so your endocrine system is still at “youth” levels) help with that.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, MS-DOS said:

Funny how this thread looks in perspective. Now LG has released a mask with HEPA filters:

https://www.lg.com/hk_en/puricare/lg-ap300awfa

Filters are "H13 HEPA Filters". So im assuming these safe to use? What makes them safe to use if people here said HEPA aren't safe to use near your face? Everyone that dennied use of mask was also wrong about use of HEPA filters?

I can pick one of these for 150€, pricey but maintainance is safer than ffp2 masks which I need to go on a train filled with people. Also I wouldn't suffocate wearing the mask because this mask filters out air and allows fresh air on it while ffp2 are too closed and regular ones are just useless. So this looks like the best solution so far. Anyone has one?

My 2 complains would be that it weights 130g, so not sure how comfortable that will be, then having a battery next to your face im not sure how safe that is.

Different countries and different professions have different classification systems.  I’m not familiar with what the H means.  The word HEPA I am familiar with. HEPA is actually the methodology used to create the filter.   N95 masks are usually HEPA, though they can be “sieve” type, for want of a better word. KF94 for example follows the South Korean classification system.  In construction in the USA niosh 95 or 100 would be the requirement.  Niosh100 were traditionally bright pink because it defined them as being useful for asbestos removal.  Bright pink is no longer reliable though because some asshat noticed people were buying masks that were bright pink and though “well I’ll just make my useless masks no one wants bright pink too”. All this actually did was make the asbestos safety system unreliable.  It never had anything to do with the actual color.  At this point finding which manufacturers violated construction safety standards to make a buck  and having them flogged would be satisfying but not actually useful.

Edited by Bombastinator

On 1/27/2021 at 11:02 PM, Bombastinator said:

Different countries and different professions have different classification systems.  I’m not familiar with what the H means.  The word HEPA I am familiar with. HEPA is actually the methodology used to create the filter.   N95 masks are usually HEPA, though they can be “sieve” type, for want of a better word. KF94 for example follows the South Korean classification system.  In construction in the USA niosh 95 or 100 would be the requirement.  Niosh100 were traditionally bright pink because it defined them as being useful for asbestos removal.  Bright pink is no longer reliable though because some asshat noticed people were buying masks that were bright pink and though “well I’ll just make my useless masks no one wants bright pink too”. All this actually did was make the asbestos safety system unreliable.  It never had anything to do with the actual color.  At this point finding which manufacturers violated construction safety standards to make a buck  and having them flogged would be satisfying but not actually useful.

In any case. How would LG release a mask if the HEPA filters on it were bad for your health?

3 hours ago, MS-DOS said:

In any case. How would LG release a mask if the HEPA filters on it were bad for your health?

My memory is LG is South Korean so they most probably use the South Korean classification system.  They’re also international though so who knows?  As for would a for-profit company release a useless product that effectively kills people? If they knew they could get away with it, sure.  It’s happened before.  

On 2/3/2021 at 3:18 AM, Bombastinator said:

My memory is LG is South Korean so they most probably use the South Korean classification system.  They’re also international though so who knows?  As for would a for-profit company release a useless product that effectively kills people? If they knew they could get away with it, sure.  It’s happened before.  

man are you serious? south korea isn't some random shithole, regulations are in place, they are experts in pollution

i assume they will test it because they said they are going to get covid19-protection certification

2 hours ago, MS-DOS said:

man are you serious? south korea isn't some random shithole, regulations are in place, they are experts in pollution

i assume they will test it because they said they are going to get covid19-protection certification

Lolwut?  How does that have to do with anything I said?

On 1/27/2021 at 3:16 PM, MS-DOS said:

see post above

The thread jack direct I guess.  Korea was an example that is different from the American is all.  I don’t know a thing about what h13 means.  You’ll notice it’s not a quote.  There’s all kinds of weird crap in this thread about wheatgrass and megadose vitaminC and other old 1970’s era long ago debunked things.  Step one would be finding out what h13 even is.  Google might.  It’s good for things like that.  $150 is a whole lot of money.   I have read that one way valve masks are actually sort of evil because they DONT protect others at all, and can even make things worse.