What do you use to clean your monitor?

Statik
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

a soft cloth, made ever so slightly damp, in the sense of using a spray bottle up in the air, and sort of flinging the cloth trough the mist.

if it's only a little spec just a soft cloth and some elbow grease may be best, fold over the cloth a few times so it's thicker (= softer), and gently rub until the spec fades.

for monitors (in my opinion) cleaning is always a case of starting with the softest means, and only increasing if needed. i've totally cleaned LCD's with a rag with kitchen de-greaser, but that's only in the cases where it was absolute necessity, and ofcourse with great care to not damage anything. there's certain cleaning chemicals you should 500% avoid, but a lot of them are actually fine. (dont take this as me suggesing you try this.. its a last resort measure)

What do you guys use to clean your monitor? I noticed a little spec of something on my UWQHD, and want to be very careful with how I clean it.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Well, dabbing with a slightly damp cloth and drying with a microfiber cloth does a good job usually

I also use a dusting rag to make spots like those easier to see

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

a soft cloth, made ever so slightly damp, in the sense of using a spray bottle up in the air, and sort of flinging the cloth trough the mist.

if it's only a little spec just a soft cloth and some elbow grease may be best, fold over the cloth a few times so it's thicker (= softer), and gently rub until the spec fades.

for monitors (in my opinion) cleaning is always a case of starting with the softest means, and only increasing if needed. i've totally cleaned LCD's with a rag with kitchen de-greaser, but that's only in the cases where it was absolute necessity, and ofcourse with great care to not damage anything. there's certain cleaning chemicals you should 500% avoid, but a lot of them are actually fine. (dont take this as me suggesing you try this.. its a last resort measure)

Just now, weeblord said:

I've yet to clean my laptop, but isopropyl alcohol on a cloth *should* work.

that is absolutely way too freaking overkill for a display...

Since I have cheap monitors, I use a slightly damp rag.

If I had an expensive monitor, I would probably use a microfiber cloth to be safe.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

Clean cloth with nothing on it for most of the grime, little bit of water (make it every so slightly damp) for the harder to get rid of dirt.

Emphasis on the clean cloth part.

You don't need any solvent most of the time and water is not needed for what is usually the culprit of a dirty monitor; dust and fingerprints.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

My wife. No idea what she uses, but always looks very nice. 

She says I eat food like a starving freaking dog and shits flying everywhere lol.

I use the swiffer duster to remove the dust (i use it for all peripherals) and then i spray (just a bit) on a sponged microfiber cloth a product to clean Windows (idk if it works for mac too) and i start to clean the screen. if the other part of the monitor is not clean (usually after swiffing them they are) like when my sister spilled a cup of coffee (in Italy coffee is espresso so is not a lot of coffe) i use Winnie's that is a product from the dictator of china   made from plants and 100% biodegradable and i spray it on the sponged microfiber cloth and i start to wipe all the mess that MY SISTER has done.

Just a microfibre cloth and a small amount of water. I read that the cleaning sprays that you use aren't that great, they also take off the anti-glare coating from the monitor / tv if you have that.

I've never cleaned my monitor. I lift up my keyboard and sneeze on the underside of it, so nothing ever gets on my monitor to make it dirty. 

The bottom of my keyboard has taken more sneezes than I can count.

To dust my screen I just use a face cloth or whatever.

As others have mentioned.

Damp soft cloth and nothing

more. No cleaning chemicals. LCDs have porous surfaces which chemicals can damage, so dont use them.

Unless the display has a glass front, dont use chemicals.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |