At what Price Headphones offer good price/sound quality value?

220VoltsallCore

You should decide on a budget first, because technically free headphones from the trash that work in one ear are the best price/performance.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Highly doubt you will find any sort of list like that for headphones as audio quality is highly subjective. Everyone's ears are different. Getting, say, 10 people to agree on sound quality at any given price point would be damn near impossible.

4 minutes ago, Ramrod126 said:

Highly doubt you will find any sort of list like that for headphones as audio quality is highly subjective. Everyone's ears are different. Getting, say, 10 people to agree on sound quality at any given price point would be damn near impossible.

is there huge differce in audio quality after like 100$?

1 minute ago, Dinesh1 said:

I honestly wouldn't know. I've never spent over $100 on a set. I would imagine there is a huge difference between say, 100 and 500 but I bet not much between 100 to 200. That is just a guess though.

There's even a huge difference between $100 headphones and $100 headphones. After deciding on budget, you should think about just what you intend to use them for and what type of device(s) you'll be using it with.

The higher the budget, the more detail you'll want to go to.

i just got about 80$ from my dad.

if there is great differnce i wait for next time he gives money and buy one for around 200 

as others have mentioned value is hard to define for headphones so you wont find a list like this.

personally i have stopped using actual headsets years ago because their sound quality is so much worse compared to regular headphones.

when i did this i also looked up if i can get replacement parts if i need them and this is why i decided to buy the Beyer dynamics DT770 pro.
If you check their website you can see that you can buy almost every part of the headphones individually if something breaks, i now replace the cushions about every two years and beside this i needed no other replacement parts till now.

to get a good microphone i added the mod mic V3 to it.

1 hour ago, Dinesh1 said:

i mean a list for headphone like this

Screen Shot 02-10-20 at 10.32 AM.PNG

Userbenchmark is trash, stay away from it.

Also, do what feature do you want? Like should they be over the ear or earbuds? Do you want them to have a microphone? Do you want controls built into the cable?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, Ramrod126 said:

I honestly wouldn't know. I've never spent over $100 on a set. I would imagine there is a huge difference between say, 100 and 500 but I bet not much between 100 to 200. That is just a guess though.

I think you're right. $150ish to $290ish is a weird lala land for popular headphone manufacturers, many of them try to avoid it.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

I think you're right. $150ish to $290ish is a weird lala land for popular headphone manufacturers, many of them try to avoid it.

I payed 90 bucks for my current headset. That is about 70 dollars more than I had ever spent before and the difference is incredible. But I bet if I went another 70 to 140 the difference would be negligible. I know there are huge differences between brands even at the same price point but I am talking in generalities here.

6 hours ago, Ramrod126 said:

I payed 90 bucks for my current headset. That is about 70 dollars more than I had ever spent before and the difference is incredible. But I bet if I went another 70 to 140 the difference would be negligible. I know there are huge differences between brands even at the same price point but I am talking in generalities here.

From personal experience, there is a pretty big difference if you just find the right pair for your ears. Shure SRH440's are 99 bucks and to my ears sound a lot better than HyperX Clouds. the Clouds aren't bad, it's just that the SRH440s are better for merely 10 more bucks, with much clearer overall sound, especially in the bass department, and is a little more balanced. some prefer lots of bass and the SRH440's are not for those kinds of people, but then you can instead grab a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40X. they sound very similar to M50X but cost less. a good deal of bass, sparkly highs and alright mids. too much bass and highs for me though. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

10 hours ago, Dinesh1 said:

At what Price Headphones offer good price/sound quality value?

I'd imagine the price you pay for what you're wanting in said headphones. My $5.00 set of headphones lacks some features my $50.00 set of headphones don't but both provide quality sound at a superb value.

9 hours ago, Dinesh1 said:

Depends on how much you spend over a $100 but people have often debated where diminishing returns hits. But like any hobby it's a hatter of fact that is accepted. I've tried a lot of cans and bowing this fact I still consider headphone like focal utopias or LCD 2cs for the future.  You just need a price range and how much you are looking to spend and then we can work with it. 

6 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Depends on how much you spend over a $100 but people have often debated where diminishing returns hits. But like any hobby it's a hatter of fact that is accepted. I've tried a lot of cans and bowing this fact I still consider headphone like focal utopias or LCD 2cs for the future.  You just need a price range and how much you are looking to spend and then we can work with it. 

80$

Not only the sound is important, the comfort is also important. You don't want a good headphone that has horrible comfort like it will hurt your head and ears after a few minutes or an hour.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

36 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Formusic or gaming or both? If for music what do you listen to?

Both

10 hours ago, Dinesh1 said:

100 to lets say 200 is a similar difference as 200 to 500 IMO, doubling your money seems to yield similar results, atleast in gear i've tried. But going from 500 to 1000 is a 500 difference, whereas 100 to 200 is only a 100 difference. Yay to diminishing returns.

For anything over 1500 (or there abouts) it's gonna take alot more money to get decently better sound. Going from my friend's about 75k setup to my 7k setup is a similar difference between the 100 and 200 pair of headphones, go figure. Just my two cents. You do not need to spend tonnes of money to get good sound.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

11 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

You do not need to spend tonnes of money to get good sound.

You got that right...

And if you choose the Coral Orange color over Black, it's only $49.99 instead of $59.99. A no-brainer imo. I mean come on, it's Coral Orange. Ya' gotta like the "sound" of that color. ?

Just look how cool this dude looks wearin' em'...

coral1.png.jpg.ec05b3b4403f0c54a4e6b78c8e1babd1.jpg

coral2.png.jpg.fdfd4b44e1eb09e8013eae0d2aa25a89.jpg

Indulge in a marvelous bass-driven high fidelity sound experience without interruptions and fitting right in with Patrick Star for just fifty bucks.

You also gotta need to know more about audio. Some headphones may look nice and all like the Beats Solo 3 but if the audio sucks big time, then it's a waste. Brands like Beyerdynamic, AKG, Sennheiser and others that are pretty underrated/not well-known makes nice headphones that actually sounds great. For example, when I first got my Marshall Mid, I liked it a lot and then when going to Beyerdynamic DT880, it's a world of difference and they were almost equal the price, just only €10 difference. But one thing I do not like the DT880 (250ohm) is a very strong "hiss", that sounds like spikes to brain. This is usually refered as sibilance and treble Treble-sensitive people like me can't handle hiss and others like @rice guru can handle it. If you have some headphones that you want and there are forums that has owners of these headphones, you can ask them or search for reviews. And in the end of the day, it comes down to opinions and preferences. (And budget too of course)

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

4 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

You also gotta need to know more about audio. Some headphones may look nice and all like the Beats Solo 3 but if the audio sucks big time, then it's a waste. Brands like Beyerdynamic, AKG, Sennheiser and others that are pretty underrated/not well-known makes nice headphones that actually sounds great. For example, when I first got my Marshall Mid, I liked it a lot and then when going to Beyerdynamic DT880, it's a world of difference and they were almost equal the price, just only €10 difference. But one thing I do not like the DT880 (250ohm) is a very strong "hiss", that sounds like spikes to brain. This is usually refered as sibilance and treble Treble-sensitive people like me can't handle hiss and others like @rice guru can handle it. If you have some headphones that you want and there are forums that has owners of these headphones, you can ask them or search for reviews. And in the end of the day, it comes down to opinions and preferences. (And budget too of course)

I will say I have specific treble sensitivities specifically at 7.8-9 k 10k is alright and can habdle a little spike ther.  but I also have a well paired amp which calms the treble a bit that really helps my abitlity to handle sharper sound headphones

1 hour ago, Dinesh1 said:

Both

for $80 I found great for musinc and gaming are takstar pro 82 which cooler master made a headset out of the cooler master mh 751. they took the takstars and made it a headset anf took out the bass ports, super comfortable pretty good for modern music like hip hop, k pop, or pop, even metal and rock. and has has pretty decent imaging for the price.