At what Price Headphones offer good price/sound quality value?

220VoltsallCore

I find we see great returns up to that 80-100 dollar range where you have things like the SHP9500, 7506, etc. Then it levels off for a bit till the 150ish range for stuff like the HD559. After that I feel like its a slow slide to the $200 range with the DT990, 599, AKG 7xx, etc. And THEN I think audio tends to drop off a giant cliff on quality. I honestly get very little difference (other than cosmetic and feel) from a $2,000 pair of Hifiman as I do the HD599.

Anyway, the sweet spot for me tends to be the $80-$200 range. You can find some decent stuff cheaper and I am sure some specific "for this purpose" stuff more expensive, but in general I think that is your safe bet.

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

You can try superlux 681 and 668b for around $30 or $40.  They are cheap cheap.  Apparently, the highs sound kinda nasty but they become pretty good for the money if you use an Equalizer to lower the highs

3 minutes ago, Matacks said:

You can try superlux 681 and 668b for around $30 or $40.  They are cheap cheap.  Apparently, the highs sound kinda nasty but they become pretty good for the money if you use an Equalizer to lower the highs.  Also consider mono price modern retro.  For $30.

13 minutes ago, Matacks said:

You can try superlux 681 and 668b for around $30 or $40.  They are cheap cheap.  Apparently, the highs sound kinda nasty but they become pretty good for the money if you use an Equalizer to lower the highs

If your going for those a Koss porta pro, kph 30i or a akg k240 are much better choices imo

4 hours ago, rice guru said:

If your going for those a Koss porta pro, kph 30i or a akg k240 are much better choices imo

This is great I've never heard of those.  

Though I wonder what the difference is between Superlux 681 and akg k240.  They look the same but different colors.  According to rtings review the 681s are better than k240

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/akg-k240-mkii-vs-superlux-hd-681/387/471

I have a pair of Sony MDR-XB500 headphones. They have great earpads, great sound quality, and have lasted me for 10 years, including time spend in warzones as well as time` in the oil patch once I got out of the military. They cost a bit in the western world ( $353 atm... I bought mine in Dubai for less than $100 US), but from a bang-per-buck perspective, you can't beat $35 per year for high quality headgear.

19 hours ago, rice guru said:

I will say I have specific treble sensitivities specifically at 7.8-9 k 10k is alright and can habdle a little spike ther.  but I also have a well paired amp which calms the treble a bit that really helps my abitlity to handle sharper sound headphones

Which amp do you use to handle the spikes in the brain?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

3 hours ago, CTR640 said:

Which amp do you use to handle the spikes in the brain?

I use a liquid spark which has some treble roll off used to have to eq my 990 but not after using this amp