YouTube is complaining about firefox/iPhone

Bombastinator

So I got this banner in YouTube saying I needed to update my browser to one of a selection because they were going to stop supporting it.  One of them was firefox so I updated firefox to the version they linked but I’m still getting the banner.  It’s weird.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

hmm interesting.  Im on firefox and havent seen it.

Might be an iPhone thing.  I’m on an iPhone7 atm.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

40 minutes ago, FibonKylix said:

Why are you using the Firefox browser to view Youtube content on an iPhone? Hahaha

Because google blocks safari all over the place and they do such a very good job that many sites simply won’t work with safari even though they open with Firefox and I won’t be a google herd animal to be milked and slaughtered without a fight.

Hahaha

But to watch youtube on a mobile device you use the youtube app, not a browser in the first place...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Is your iOS up-to-date? Third-party browsers on iOS have to use the Safari's engine per Apple's rules.

🙂

34 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Is your iOS up-to-date? Third-party browsers on iOS have to use the Safari's engine per Apple's rules.

There was an OS update newly available.  Just installed it.   Wasn’t there a few days ago.

UPDATE: updated to 13.3, no change.

Edited by Bombastinator
Update

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So I got this banner in YouTube saying I needed to update my browser to one of a selection because they were going to stop supporting it.  One of them was firefox so I updated firefox to the version they linked but I’m still getting the banner.  It’s weird.

Same issue with my Ipad. It uses Ipad OS and the newest version

On 2/7/2020 at 3:35 PM, Bombastinator said:

Because google blocks safari all over the place and they do such a very good job that many sites simply won’t work with safari even though they open with Firefox and I won’t be a google herd animal to be milked and slaughtered without a fight.

Hahaha

..... there is a Youtube App... Again why are you using a browser to watch Youtube content???

37 minutes ago, FibonKylix said:

..... there is a Youtube App... Again why are you using a browser to watch Youtube content???

Because I don’t like google and if I hit a link to a video in a browser it doesn’t open the app it opens a browser window.  In an unrelated note why on earth should I HAVE to use a special app to watch YouTube?! It’s not frocken Netflix.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Because I don’t like google and if I hit a link to a video in a browser it doesn’t open the app it opens a browser window.  In an unrelated note why on earth should I HAVE to use a special app to watch YouTube?! It’s not frocken Netflix.

Not using the YouTube app on a mobile platform

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.

On 2/6/2020 at 7:18 PM, Bombastinator said:

I checked my iPad (aka iPad 3) and Firefox on it does not come with any warning.

Keep in mind that iOS devices older than the iPhone 6S and 5th generation iPad are officially "retired" so that OS updates will not be forthcoming. So even if you have Firefox or Chrome on them, on iOS these browsers are required to use the Safari webview, so they will not work on servers that support only TLS1.3, as TLS1.3 was only added in iOS 12.2.

Seeing as how 75% of the ciphers for TLS1.2 were considered weak and disabled by a lot of web servers who jumped on the http-anywhere bandwagon, it would not surprise me if Google is going to turn off all the old ciphers and TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 on Youtube. They've been keeping TLS1.0 and 1.1 alive entirely for obsolete Android phones.

41 minutes ago, GenericFanboy said:

I'd die if i had to use the browser on my phone. Its the most obnoxious thing i've ever done

I get that.  Phone browsers just aren’t as good. I actually find the keyboard issue to be the worst part myself but I can see how even without that it could be too aggravating.  I find I don’t mind it that much simply because of the portability advantage.  A phone browser still kicks the pants off Netscape and I used that happily for years.  Perhaps my standards are low.

49 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Not using the YouTube app on a mobile platform

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.

I understand there are reasons people think that.  I’ve got the app.  There didnt used to even BE a YouTube app though.  YouTube didn’t need one at all.  Still doesn’t.  It works fine in a browser except for these warnings.  Artificial obscelescence.

9 minutes ago, Kisai said:

I checked my iPad (aka iPad 3) and Firefox on it does not come with any warning.

Keep in mind that iOS devices older than the iPhone 6S and 5th generation iPad are officially "retired" so that OS updates will not be forthcoming. So even if you have Firefox or Chrome on them, on iOS these browsers are required to use the Safari webview, so they will not work on servers that support only TLS1.3, as TLS1.3 was only added in iOS 12.2.

Seeing as how 75% of the ciphers for TLS1.2 were considered weak and disabled by a lot of web servers who jumped on the http-anywhere bandwagon, it would not surprise me if Google is going to turn off all the old ciphers and TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 on Youtube. They've been keeping TLS1.0 and 1.1 alive entirely for obsolete Android phones.

It’s a 7s

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I understand there are reasons people think that.  I’ve got the app.  There didnt used to even BE a YouTube app though.  YouTube didn’t need one at all.  Still doesn’t.  It works fine in a browser except for these warnings.  Artificial obscelescence.

They've had an app for a long time, back before iOS 6 it even came installed .. as default.

But IIRC they wanted to do things Apple wouldn't let them, so they ended that deal & moved on by making it a normal downloadable app.

Not saying Google wouldn't like you to use their app, Chrome and all of the other services they offer.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

iPhone browsers all run Safari engine. Which is a bit funny given WebKit is what all Google's shit is based on now (Google's Blink is a fork of Apple's WebKit). Don't ever remember seeing this warning. Has this been only happening very recently or for a while?

5 hours ago, FibonKylix said:

Browser is better. I hate youtube and twitch app

Same for the fact that I'm blocking everything Google with "No G" block list in NextDNS on my iPhone and only have exclusion for Youtube video in most basic form, no account/login, just search and watch. Which I do via browser coz I don't use their stupid app(s).

It doesn't matter if you're on iPhone or Android, Youtube is worse on a phone than using the app in my opinion, except for Firefox on Android with an adblocker because some videos have a bunch of ads not just an ad that plays before the video. Although I don't quite get not liking Google to the point of avoiding the apps yet still using their services.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

iPhone browsers all run Safari engine. Which is a bit funny given WebKit is what all Google's shit is based on now (Google's Blink is a fork of Apple's WebKit). Don't ever remember seeing this warning. Has this been only happening very recently or for a while?

Only saw it the other day.  I dunno if it’s even a real thing or just BS from google.  Google seems to be attacking Apple in subtle under-the-table ways where firefox will work to load a website but safari proper breaks for some reason.  This is especially odd if safari and google are using the same engine.