is it worth upgrading to m.2 with my mobo?

nelska

ATM I'm running from a sata 3 ssd. Capped at 6gbps but my pcie slot supports x3 on the b250 pc mate.. so the right m.2 would literally be 5x faster..? Correct? I can't go wrong.. just wanted to double check before I went out and bought one.. thanks

not sure what generation a b250 m.2 slot is...or if it matters.  I'd add a m.2 just so you can increase the entire bandwidth of your pc's drives.  Installing games on your fastest drive (m.2) and leaving your OS/apps on the sata SSD should see an improvement IF your drive was the bottleneck before.

Just be aware that there's also m.2 SATA SSDs, which aren't faster. You need an NVMe one. It's mostly worth it when loading large files.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

If you expect 5x faster OS, thats not how it works.

Only if you will copy large files like movies for example, you will notice the extra speed of NVMe.

M.2 won't give you a realized faster gaming experience (load times) than SATA SSD, that you'll really notice.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

If you expect 5x faster OS, thats not how it works.

Only if you will copy large files like movies for example, you will notice the extra speed of NVMe.

But if I boot from m.2 it'll be on a device 5x faster than that of a sata 3 device?

Just now, Lorant said:

M.2 won't give you a realized faster gaming experience (load times) than SATA SSD, that you'll really notice.

I dunno 5x faster is 5x faster lol unless I'm missing something here haha

3 minutes ago, nelska said:

I dunno 5x faster is 5x faster lol unless I'm missing something here haha

Yes, you're missing the part of how write/read speeds work.

While the M.2 NVMe is capable of being 5x faster, it will be that fast only in a very specific scenario, which is a large file transfer (sequential speeds). For having game or OS load stuff faster, you care about random write/read speeds which is significantly lower and usually only about 10MB/s to 30MB/s faster than a normal SATA3 SSD.

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Yes, you're missing the part of how write/read speeds work.

While the M.2 NVMe is capable of being 5x faster, it will be that fast only in a very specific scenario, which is a large file transfer (sequential speeds). For having game or OS load stuff faster, you care about random write/read speeds which is significantly lower and usually only about 10MB/s to 30MB/s faster than a normal SATA3 SSD.

K. That's kinda what I meant but still I think it's worth the upgrade it's all confusing transfer speed details and stuff.. watch this for example lol

Physical and protocol standards

your title seems like a question but your posts seem like youre decided no matter what people told you.

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

Just now, Neftex said:

your title seems like a question but your posts seem like youre decided no matter what people told you.

Lol! I didn't hear anything about it being not.. doable lol.

2 minutes ago, nelska said:

K. That's kinda what I meant but still I think it's worth the upgrade it's all confusing transfer speed details and stuff.. watch this for example lol

Physical and protocol standards

We've seen that and a few dozen others, as well as used both.

Burst speeds are similar, NVMe can sustain that for much longer.  But that much longer is when using huge ass files, not OS files or game files.  

So realistically all SSD's will perform similarly in Windows and Games.

3 minutes ago, Lorant said:

We've seen that and a few dozen others, as well as used both.

Burst speeds are similar, NVMe can sustain that for much longer.  But that much longer is when using huge ass files, not OS files or game files.  

So realistically all SSD's will perform similarly in Windows and Games.

Ahh now your speaking English. Still not sold tho haha!

11 minutes ago, nelska said:

Ahh now your speaking English. Still not sold tho haha!

By all means buy what you want, I can only relay my experiences.

Enjoy either way, bye.

If anything mine seems just a tad slower. But my bottom barrel ssd was quite fast to boot. I’d add another one but don’t wonna effect my gpu. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

46 minutes ago, nelska said:

But if I boot from m.2 it'll be on a device 5x faster than that of a sata 3 device?

Sata HDD yes, but Sata SSD not much difference.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

NVMe is faster, but you only get to see those speeds when the task calls for it

most modern NVMe sticks usually advertise their sequential speeds, which usually means large file transfers and reading large files, like:

• watching a pretty high bitrate video
  • gigapixel photos
  • copying large zip files, or just many files at once
  • any program handling large datasets

for other things like:

• your OS
  • program loading and operation
  • web browsing
  • file search
  • pagefile

those are random reads and writes, and those universally takes more time to complete (even optane, but much less so)

so the question is what programs are you running?

(games are almost always random)

I'm just trying to find the quickest boot drive but you are making it sound like it's just a zip file transferring device lol. So even if I got one I prob wouldn't want to boot from it. Since I do have an SSD.