proof that push pull config make a big difference

Enochian

Hey Guys, 

Maybe some of you will find that useful if you thinking about adding more pull fans or something to your build. 

I have an obsidian 1000d with :

8 ll120 fans in front in push

2 on back in pull

3 on top pushing trough a radiator and 2 pulling from it 

1 for drive bay. 

Recently one of my Commander pro died so the 2 back fans , 2 pulling fans from radiator and 2 front pushing fans were not working. 

I have several temp probes and one of them is in the middle of the case, near the mobo, just to see the general temp inside the case. 

When i could only use 1 commander pro, while waiting for the rma of the other the temperature after long gaming sessions were going around 30 / 31 C

When I added the second commander and all the fans came back to life the temps in the same scenario are peaking at 24 / 26 in the Case, so of course all the fans are quieter. 

I think this shows nicely the difference. 

Have a good weekend. 

i7-8086K, Strix Z370E-Gaming, G.Skill Trident 32gb 3000MHZ CL 14, Strix 1080 Ti OC, Corsair HX1000i, Obsidian 1000D, Corsair Hydro X custom loop, 13x Corsair LL120, Corsair Lighting Node Pro, 2x SSD Adata SU800 3DNand - 1tb and 128gb, 1Tb WD Blue, Cable Mod Full Cable Kit, Monitor Asus XG27VQ 144Mhz Curved

29 minutes ago, Enochian said:

-

After distilling the post, I understand this actually has very little to do with push or pull and more to do with having most exhaust airflow help the case ambient. This of course is a valid statement, but I would be surprised if anybody had been debating for the contrary.

35 minutes ago, Enochian said:

8 ll120 fans in front in push

WHAT ? *looks up pictures* Holy fuck, it's not a computer case, it's a computer house lol. Anyway, i do agree that push-pull are definitely works, in my case it helps to get lower noise levels with the same airflow, but you almost certainly need a good quality fans for that if you aim for the low noise setup as me (i use eLoops, stock Corsair ML fans were way too noisy).

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

10 minutes ago, Juular said:

WHAT ? *looks up pictures* Holy fuck, it's not a computer case, it's a computer house lol. Anyway, i do agree that push-pull are definitely works, in my case it helps to get lower noise levels with the same airflow, but you almost certainly need a good quality fans for that if you aim for the low noise setup as me (i use eLoops, stock Corsair ML fans were way too noisy).

With that number of fans i got the ll120 spinning at around 700 to 800 rpm so they are arlmost dead silent event with the ammount of them. 

and also..for me its really the perfect case :)

20191122_210405.jpg

20191122_210435.jpg

i7-8086K, Strix Z370E-Gaming, G.Skill Trident 32gb 3000MHZ CL 14, Strix 1080 Ti OC, Corsair HX1000i, Obsidian 1000D, Corsair Hydro X custom loop, 13x Corsair LL120, Corsair Lighting Node Pro, 2x SSD Adata SU800 3DNand - 1tb and 128gb, 1Tb WD Blue, Cable Mod Full Cable Kit, Monitor Asus XG27VQ 144Mhz Curved

If fin stack is super dense and thick, push pull is useful. Otherwise, you'll see very minimal gains...

45 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

If fin stack is super dense and thick, push pull is useful. Otherwise, you'll see very minimal gains...

Minimal gains in what? I'd think noise normalized temperatures would be much better on push pull configs on low fan speeds.

3 hours ago, Jeppes said:

Minimal gains in what? I'd think noise normalized temperatures would be much better on push pull configs on low fan speeds.

Well, my comment still stands correct. Having low fan speed is essentially the same as having denser or taller fin stack. It just means air will move slower through the fins, volume of it will be lower and as a result, cooling capacity will be lower. It's just a ratio of air movement. How that happens is almost irrelevant. It's either with low fan speed or with dense fin stack. You can have a very dense fin stack and if you slam some Delta fans with 10.000 or 15.000 RPM, it'll work just the same with single push fan setup.

In the end it's also down to fan design. I have a relatively thick radiator with my Cooler Master Nepton XL cooler and I run a single push fan setup. It is a very high static pressure fan and I made sure fan frame seals well against the radiator using custom made "washer" from clear plastic that sits between fan and radiator, filling the gaps between both. This is quite important and very little talked about detail with radiators. If you fit one of those fans with slim anti vibration frames that have a lot of empty space instead of square frame, you'll be losing a lot of pressure through those holes.

I like Push/Pull. Works great, especially if you can do it with your case fans :D

The rears are exhaust, top front and 3 fronts are intake..

Edit:

I'm using different ram.

001.JPG

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

Is your gpu cable going in between the fan frames ? :D what size are the top fans?

Yes it is, 5x 120x38 1x 140x25 and 1x 92x38.

On 1/27/2020 at 5:18 PM, freeagent said:

Yes it is, 5x 120x38 1x 140x25 and 1x 92x38.

how is the rpm and sound on the small ones?

I have an old Noctua LNA on it and it is getting 5v for 1800rpm, nice and quiet. At 12v 3900rpm it’s pretty effing loud. But at 12v it can move a lot of air. More than my 120s. I run it slow because any faster than 1800 revs and it starves my gpu. As it is right now is perfect for my setup.