Does Ethernet cabling through wall jacks cause higher latency?

MrDaniel1010

Does Ethernet cabling through wall jacks cause higher latency than running a wire directly to the PC? I'm wondering how to get the lowest and most stable ping connection to online games like Rainbow Six Siege for my friends and I. In the end, we can only do so much because of Windstream, but anything helps. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, DBCheese said:

Does Ethernet cabling through wall jacks cause higher latency than running a wire directly to the PC?

No.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

31 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

No.

So, latency would only occur through the wall if the connection was damaged somewhere, right? Or misassembled 

1 minute ago, DBCheese said:

So, latency would only occur through the wall if the connection was damaged somewhere, right? Or misassembled 

No. If the cable or any of the wall-jacks were damaged, you'd get connection-issues, not latency. Your ethernet-connection might also get degraded to only 100Mbps or even 10Mbps from gigabit-speed.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Last question ?: Common sense tells me that less connections and less physical cable from the modem to PC results in faster ping/connection. Does this make any competitive difference online?

1 minute ago, DBCheese said:

Last question ?: Common sense tells me that less connections and less physical cable from the modem to PC results in faster ping/connection.

Your common sense is wrong. Cat5e-cable, for example, is rated for gigabit-speeds up to 100 meters -- anything less than that won't affect signal-quality and won't change your ping, latency or bandwidth. Technically the more wall-jacks and other kinds of connections you have along the way the more degraded the signal becomes, but if your PC shows the connection as being gigabit, then obviously it hasn't degraded enough to matter.

WereCatf is correct in basically every regard. The speed at which a packet gets transmitted across a wire is so fast that the distance doesn't really matter. Ping really increases with the more network hops and switches it has to go through before reaching the destination. Wall jacks won't increase ping but poorly assembled ones can still cause network issues.

Also don't take WereCatf's attitude personally. This is basically her personality. :D

11 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Also don't take WereCatf's attitude personally. This is basically her personality when it comes to people asking "stupid questions". :D

Eh, I didn't even consider OP's questions all that stupid; I can totally understand why someone could think cable-length or such would increase latency or such. I just...well, I just tend to answer questions -- good and bad ones -- in a rather terse, factual manner and I waff around topics less than neurotypical people.

Also, it's fun to see that I've made an impression around here, even if it's a rather questionable one ?

16 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Eh, I didn't even consider OP's questions all that stupid; I can totally understand why someone could think cable-length or such would increase latency or such. I just...well, I just tend to answer questions -- good and bad ones -- in a rather terse, factual manner and I waff around topics less than neurotypical people.

Also, it's fun to see that I've made an impression around here, even if it's a rather questionable one ?

I'm pleasantly surprised. I did not anticipate a friendly response.

And, I mean, if we wanted to get REALLY technical there is a increased delay with a longer cable but when the difference in delay between a 1m cable and a 100m cable is still sub-1ms the difference is just not worth considering. It's a difference so small it'd only really impact things like high-speed trading at stock exchanges and most of those setups use fibre. Gaming & streaming wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I always considered there was more behind your personality it's just the particular choice of words I've seen you use over the past couple years could be interpreted more than one way:

1. Very direct and concise. (Good for people who TLDR)
  2. Kind of rude and standoffish.

Maybe it's just me (usually is)...

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I always considered there was more behind your personality it's just the particular choice of words I've seen you use over the past couple years could be interpreted more than one way:

1. Very direct and concise. (Good for people who TLDR)
  2. Kind of rude and standoffish.

Maybe it's just me (usually is)...

I have Asperger's syndrome, being very direct and terse is a common symptom. And yes, it's extremely common for neurotypical people to feel offput and consider us rude; neurotypical people often read more into what we say than what we actually do, like e.g. they think they're seeing some kind of attitude behind our words, when we are actually just answering a question or listing facts with no attached attitude or emotion to it.

TLDR: no worries, am used to it. I seem more rude than I actually intend to.

28 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I have Asperger's syndrome, being very direct and terse is a common symptom. And yes, it's extremely common for neurotypical people to feel offput and consider us rude; neurotypical people often read more into what we say than what we actually do, like e.g. they think they're seeing some kind of attitude behind our words, when we are actually just answering a question or listing facts with no attached attitude or emotion to it.

TLDR: no worries, am used to it. I seem more rude than I actually intend to.

You confirmed the theory I've had which I never planned on having answered. Now all I need to find out is if the other girl I'm thinking of here on the forum has a similar circumstance or if she's really just rude. ?

Don't let it bother you. We all have problems. I seem more self-centered than I intend to be.

Also, sorry OP we kind of hi-jacked your topic. :P I'll stop.