cheap server for personal use - HELP

branb

i need a pretty cheap server but ive never actually built a server before so i dont know if i need a special power supply or something could somebody please help pick out like a part list much appreciated.

7 minutes ago, branb said:

i need a pretty cheap server but ive never actually built a server before so i dont know if i need a special power supply or something could somebody please help pick out like a part list much appreciated.

Welcome to the LTT forums! Any computer can be used as a server, even your phone, what dictates the design and setup of a server is the task(s) that one would want to perform on said server and the reliability that such task(s) dictate. If you want help assembling a server, there are two things we need to know: What is your budget? and: What do you intend to do with this server?

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

A server could be built entirely from desktop parts. It's just not the standard in the enterprise to do so. Fine for home use it just depends on what you plan for the server to do and if it will be handling anything important.

So long as it's a reputable brand with good components any PSU will do. You don't need a Zippy brand mini-redundant PSU.

25 minutes ago, branb said:

just tell ur requirements, and budget, and people over here are very good at this stuff. You will be guided by them :D

what makes a computer a server, is just the OS/software most of the time.  

My build

Ryzen 5 2600 @3.95ghz

Cryorig M9a

Gigabyte x470 Ultra Gaming

Gigabyte RX 590 @1720mhz

2x8 Corsair LPX Vengeance 2933

ASUS Wireless card

EVGA 650GQ

Cougar MX330G

WD Blue SATA SSD 500GB

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

A server could be built entirely from desktop parts. It's just not the standard in the enterprise to do so. Fine for home use it just depends on what you plan for the server to do and if it will be handling anything important.

So long as it's a reputable brand with good components any PSU will do. You don't need a Zippy brand mini-redundant PSU.

yeah i know but i need the extra cores and ram

48 minutes ago, RAGNES7 said:

just tell ur requirements, and budget, and people over here are very good at this stuff. You will be guided by them :D

i dont need an os i just need 2 cpus preferably xeons and everything else i dont know the form factors

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPlex-9020-MT-Intel-i7-4790-3-60GHz-16GB-DDR3-1TB-HDD-WIN10COA-No-OS/264592664294

Add some drives depending on your use case.

https://www.amazon.com/SK-hynix-Gold-500GB-Internal/dp/B07SK5BNM1/

If you're looking for storage, you can't beat the value of shucking the WD 8TB drives.

https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Desktop-Hard-Drive-WDBWLG0080HBK-NESN/dp/B07D5V2ZXD

Unless you specify what you're actually looking for your hardware to do and the profile that you're looking for it to fit, "cheap server for personal use" means something like the above. Cheap, capable hardware being used as a server.

Or to me, it means what I built which is an X58/LGA1366 machine built out of spare parts I had laying around with a brand new PSU and a mix of new drives, used ones of my own and a couple $5 500gb drives from a local recycler. It also includes a bunch of ram that I got from a garage sale, a cpu that lived in my flash drive bowl for a year and a SM951 128gb NVMe that cost me about $15 total including the adapter off amazon which I knocked the green drive activity LED off of using a flathead screwdriver.

6 minutes ago, branb said:

yeah i know but i need the extra cores and ram

All depends on your needs. If you want something cheap you can look into retired Supermicro servers on ebay.

Single socket, Dual socket, some Quad-Socket.

Redundant PSUs.

Support for 32GB or 64GB sticks of RAM.

However much power you need eBay will hook you up cheap. :D

3 minutes ago, Slayer3032 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPlex-9020-MT-Intel-i7-4790-3-60GHz-16GB-DDR3-1TB-HDD-WIN10COA-No-OS/264592664294

Add some drives depending on your use case.

https://www.amazon.com/SK-hynix-Gold-500GB-Internal/dp/B07SK5BNM1/

If you're looking for storage, you can't beat the value of shucking the WD 8TB drives.

https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Desktop-Hard-Drive-WDBWLG0080HBK-NESN/dp/B07D5V2ZXD

Unless you specify what you're actually looking for your hardware to do and the profile that you're looking for it to fit, "cheap server for personal use" means something like the above. Cheap, capable hardware being used as a server.

Or to me, it means what I built which is an X58/LGA1366 machine built out of spare parts I had laying around with a brand new PSU and a mix of new drives, used ones of my own and a couple $5 500gb drives from a local recycler. It also includes a bunch of ram that I got from a garage sale, a cpu that lived in my flash drive bowl for a year and a SM951 128gb NVMe that cost me about $15 total including the adapter off amazon which I knocked the green drive activity LED off of using a flathead screwdriver.

its going to be for mostly game servers with some web application hosting

3 minutes ago, branb said:

its going to be for mostly game servers with some web application hosting

What kind of game servers, minecraft has very different resource requirements than say a source engine game. Other game servers for some terrible reasoning don't support linux like space engineers or wreckfest and will happily demolish any resources allocated to them. Secondly, how many of them? If you're planning on having say 10 empty servers and only plan on playing one at a time with friends, that needs far different resource requirements than say someone who's planning on running 5 full 64 slot servers or something.

As far as web hosting, that can wildly vary as your needs might be anywhere from very bandwidth heavy to cpu heavy or so lightweight that it could probably run off of a low power ARM device.

If you're just wanting to get into rackmount and server hardware as a hobby, that's fine. That's buying hardware for having the hardware though and as much as you can afford/best bang for your buck is usually what you would be looking for.

1 minute ago, Slayer3032 said:

What kind of game servers, minecraft has very different resource requirements than say a source engine game. Other game servers for some terrible reasoning don't support linux like space engineers or wreckfest and will happily demolish any resources allocated to them. Secondly, how many of them? If you're planning on having say 10 empty servers and only plan on playing one at a time with friends, that needs far different resource requirements than say someone who's planning on running 5 full 64 slot servers or something.

As far as web hosting, that can wildly vary as your needs might be anywhere from very bandwidth heavy to cpu heavy or so lightweight that it could probably run off of a low power ARM device.

If you're just wanting to get into rackmount and server hardware as a hobby, that's fine. That's buying hardware for having the hardware though and as much as you can afford/best bang for your buck is usually what you would be looking for.

its more just to have i sometimes just get into random hobbies that need to be run on a server its more just to have probably more minecraft oriented though

If you can handle the noise, it sounds like a used Dell r7xx series would fit your needs. 

5 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

If you can handle the noise, it sounds like a used Dell r7xx series would fit your needs. 

X2 look at a poweredge R710 it seems to be the sweet spot, 6 3.5 spinners dual xeon cpu's loaded with ram muliple pcie slots and configurable, relatively quiet and can be had for a few hundred dollars ready to go mine is currently an unRAID backup server and works well nice to have iDRAC on board for remote access

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

A tower server like the HP ML350 G8 would also be a good option. They are becoming rather cheap while offering much improved performance and efficiency over the ancient G6/G7 servers and the Dell R700/710 and tower equivalents.

If you don't need remote management, you can get by with a DIY solution with a cheap board from
AliExpress and a used Xeon E5v2 CPU, an HBA and a case.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

any gen 7 or newer HP server will be up to the task...more cpu cores the better...more ram the better.  I bought a HP DL380 G7 with 2x 5690x (12c/24t total) with 144gb ram delivered to my door for $450 2 years ago...so you could find same for probably less now.  I think most any SSD will work with gen7 and newer HPs too.

On 1/14/2020 at 8:03 PM, branb said:

its more just to have i sometimes just get into random hobbies that need to be run on a server its more just to have probably more minecraft oriented though

Then as far as that goes, the best CPU available at the moment is a destop Intel 9900KS  (although the Ryzen 3800, or any I7 since skylake would work quite nicely, and depending on the size of the server many slower chips may also work) as Minecraft Java servers currently only take advantage of a single core thereby they care more about per core speed than the overall speed of the processor, which is why even large servers such as 2B2T run on some variant of the 9900K.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!