Powerline connection very weak

Abominablespongecake

I have recently had a new son, Yay me! My old "office" used to containing my desktop has now become his room. I now have a compact wall mounted desk in my bedroom which i love. The only issue is that the powerline ethernet connection is now orders of magnitude weaker than before any suggestions?

Essentially i have some older version of this: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9156900

One plugs into the back of my router and one plugs into the wall near my PC from there i can draw ethernet for my desktop.

This always has been the set up but now after moving rooms it has gone from being 20Mbps to ~1Mbps. 

Since i cannot move the room my desktop is used in, are there any suggestions you can make?

I can hardwire a LAN cable from the modem or use a wireless card in my PC, i just don't understand why the drop has occurred.

the new location is most likely on a different circuit breaker.

i'd suggest looking for hardwire, or if that fails wifi.

Powerline although a nice attempt as a solution for people who can't get a Ethernet cable somewhere in their home is in many situations a poor performer. It depends on your home wiring as to how well it'll work and it looks like you drew the short straw.

If you can run Ethernet to the room without too much hassle that's your best option. Otherwise 5.0GHz Wi-Fi would be the best second if you can get a good signal.

I assumed this was the case. Shame it has always worked for me in the past for many years at many different houses. Had to happen eventually :)

4 hours ago, Abominablespongecake said:

I assumed this was the case. Shame it has always worked for me in the past for many years at many different houses. Had to happen eventually :)

Maybe the adapter is an older model? Because the newer stuff from what I have read is a bit better as it can use all 3 wires. That also assumes that your homes wiring is relativly new and is done to code. 

If you have a basement or crawl space then running ethernet is easy. You could also try to do it in the attic, just watch your step. If push comes to shove you can run it outside. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Definitely would run ethernet cable!

Hardware>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wireless.

More than likely, just like the other guys, you're on a different circuit which causes issues with connectivity and latency. 

"Soli Deo Gloria"

IT Technician by trade. Computer/Network equipment enthusiast!

Gaming PC: 

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (Stock Core Clock)
  • XFX RX 590 FATBOY 8 GB (Stock Core Clock)
  • Asus ROG Strix B450-F Motherboard
  • Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2x8) kit 3200 Mhz RAM
  • 512 GB Intel 660p M.2 NVMe SSD (Boot & Current Games)
  • 3 TB Toshiba HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Data)
  • 2 TB Seagate HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Backup)
  • Corsair CX650M PSU
  • NZXT S340 Elite Case
  • 24" AOC C24G1 1500r Curved Gaming Monitor 144hz 1080p
  • Turtle Beach Stealth 450 Gaming Headset
  • Corsair K63 10-Keyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX)
  • Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse, Razor Death Adder
  • Win10 Home

PC Part Picker Link