The I of the tiger - Intel CES 2020 with NUCs and Athena

williamcll

Sorry for posting this myself but I could not find a link to discuss this particular video please merge it in case there already is one thanks. 

Intel missed the point on this one.. they want to become apple and produce an out of the box experience so that they don't have to compete with individual manufacturers... but it's stupid... this nuc card though is not entirely garbage..

It's marketing is just wrong...

It would be a perfect solution for a system on a system rig for example you have your full fledged gaming rig and you want a second system to handle secondary workloads (e.g twitch streaming rig/capture device,NAS/media server, firewall/addblocker,rendering machine etc) but you dont want to spend extra money on a secondary power supply a secondary case etc and it all will fit neatly inside your current case and beef up its looks + who doesn't want to see a TON of I/O behind his/her main rig? :P 

So it saves space, money and looks more elegant :P

P.S the title of the video is a clickbait imho since the razer modular case has nothing to do with this simple aluminium box which only has a handle I mean lol....

I think they hit the spot.

Would like to see a laptop chassis with slot like that and then when you want to use it at home, take it out of laptop and put in that enclosure to use discreate GPU

Just now, Likwid said:

I think they hit the spot.

Would like to see a laptop chassis with slot like that and then when you want to use it at home, take it out of laptop and put in that enclosure to use discreate GPU

Nope because a) its impossible to do that (too power hungry and too bulky to fit in a laptop 

b) You already can attach your laptop to a discrete graphics card so why to use this? 

also why to use a laptop if you gonna have this plugged on it? as a second system on your laptop ? for desktop I can understand this that's why I mentioned but having two systems in a laptop is just too much

1 minute ago, papajo said:

Nope because a) its impossible to do that (too power hungry and too bulky to fit in a laptop 

b) You already can attach your laptop to a discrete graphics card so why to use this? 

also why to use a laptop if you gonna have this plugged on it? as a second system on your laptop ? for desktop I can understand this that's why I mentioned but having two systems in a laptop is just too much

a) I think it's using laptop CPU

b) You missed my point , 2 types of chassis, one with slot for GPU other with screen, battery and keyboard.

If it was slimmed would do the trick

-Topics merged-

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 hours ago, papajo said:

Sorry for posting this myself but I could not find a link to discuss this particular video please merge it in case there already is one thanks. 

Intel missed the point on this one.. they want to become apple and produce an out of the box experience so that they don't have to compete with individual manufacturers... but it's stupid... this nuc card though is not entirely garbage..

It would be a perfect solution for a system on a system rig for example you have your full fledged gaming rig and you want a second system to handle secondary workloads (e.g twitch streaming rig/capture device,NAS/media server, firewall/addblocker,rendering machine etc) but you dont want to spend extra money on a secondary power supply a secondary case etc and it all will fit neatly inside your current case and beef up its looks + who doesn't want to see a TON of I/O behind his/her main rig? :P 

P.S the title of the video is a clickbait imho since the razer modular case has nothing to do with this simple aluminium box which only has a handle I mean lol....

This is kinda what the old pci ones were. Full length pci cards with a whole PC on them.  There were additional complications iirc.  They were meant to put in enterprise stuff, but could be put in a box very much like the one pictured.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 1/7/2020 at 12:49 PM, Deli said:

$1700 for the PCIE card? Intel is trying to do an Apple.

They're probably overestimating the demand for something like this. I simply do not see who this is targeted to, though it might be targeted at Korean PCBang (PC Cafe) type of setups where a bunch of identical machines are needed and will likely never be upgraded once installed.

However I'm skeptical of even that. 

Apple's stuff is essentially complete when you buy it. This is not.

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

This is kinda what the old pci ones were. Full length pci cards with a whole PC on them.  There were additional complications iirc.  They were meant to put in enterprise stuff, but could be put in a box very much like the one pictured.

which ones are you talking about? I remember only the naked PCB and the boxed ones 

Really exciting to see Xe out in the wild! It seems promising, and I hope they get off to a good start as they become a 3rd player in the GPU industry. Also, I hope this means the end of iGPUs that can't play any demanding title! :)

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

4 hours ago, papajo said:

which ones are you talking about? I remember only the naked PCB and the boxed ones 

I don’t remember the model.  The one I saw was a naked full length card.  It came in a box with a PSU at the back and a small board on the bottom, so it might be considered a boxed one.  Depends on definition of terms.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 hours ago, papajo said:

Nah. This is a solution looking for a problem. Same with the early release if Optane. This is currently compute/server orientated, but they are trying to rush to consumer market for the extra cash, throughput and market share. Possibly only as an early adoption footing to get some manufacturers on board... that could be a good thing (as with Optane).

So yes, this is a clunky and less than idea implementation (those airflow designs REALLY need the GPU/CPU airflow on opposite sides [independent], or facing sides [combined], not both blocking each other with the PBC and case!).

This could be a nice form factor, with options (socketable versions etc), but really really needs more refinement before becomes standard.

On 1/9/2020 at 12:05 PM, TechyBen said:

This is a solution looking for a problem. Same with the early release if Optane

I dont see similarities with optane. 

Optane nvmes may not have been an ideal solution for the problem they tried to solve (especially the cheaper ones) but success or in this case failure of implementation doesnt change the fact that there was a problem (big chunks of data that need to be used frequently or on a daily basis that can not be stored due to cost/size limitation of current SSD/nvme solutions therefore you store it to a high capacity HDD and use the NVMe as a cache in a consumer based scenario this applies e.g for a Steam library mine for example is about 4TB and I would need a fortune to put that in nvmes ) 

But I agree that for some reason they didnt get the usacase scenario for the PCI nuc and marketed solving a useless problem like why to buy this thing instead of making an mini ITX with desktop grade MoBo/RAM etc 

There is only one usecase scenario on enthusiast/hardcore consumers and that is to have a second system inside your desktopcase to take of the workload of your main system (so that you can game for example without any sacrifice in performance) and thereby save some money (because you dont have to buy an additional PSU/Case to house it separately ) and space. 

2 hours ago, papajo said:

I dont see similarities with optane. 

Optane nvmes may not have been an ideal solution for the problem they tried to solve (especially the cheaper ones) but success or in this case failure of implementation doesnt change the fact that there was a problem (big chunks of data that need to be used frequently or on a daily basis that can not be stored due to cost/size limitation of current SSD/nvme solutions therefore you store it to a high capacity HDD and use the NVMe as a cache in a consumer based scenario this applies e.g for a Steam library mine for example is about 4TB and I would need a fortune to put that in nvmes ) 

But I agree that for some reason they didnt get the usacase scenario for the PCI nuc and marketed solving a useless problem like why to buy this thing instead of making an mini ITX with desktop grade MoBo/RAM etc 

There is only one usecase scenario on enthusiast/hardcore consumers and that is to have a second system inside your desktopcase to take of the workload of your main system (so that you can game for example without any sacrifice in performance) and thereby save some money (because you dont have to buy an additional PSU/Case to house it separately ) and space. 

No. Optane failed all of those at that price point. A SSD would do the same, except the patents on the software made it not worth implementing 99% of the time (see storage spaces/AMDs offerings or just pain old hybrid HDDs).

This NUC is for development/developers. But they are trying to cash in (unlike the other nucs that came as barebones mini systems). This has a use case scenario, but kludges the design. Optane had no use case scenario, for a good design of memory (until we use it for cold booting/power out safety/cheap RAM/SSD cache). (Literally, an SSD of twice or 3 times the size costs less than Optane. ?‍♂️)

PS, NVME is also best for concurrent/parallel access, not sequential, or better for latency, not also/just throughput. So an Optane for Steam is overkill, when a cheap SSD and a cheap storage management software would do the trick.

I guess it could be used as a separate streaming PC, but streamdecks/GPU streaming exists, so seems pointless. For developers VMs exists, so seems pointless. But for real deep programming/testing, yeah, having dedicated hardware is nice... and those *already exist*. ;)

6 hours ago, TechyBen said:

I guess it could be used as a separate streaming PC, but streamdecks/GPU streaming exists, so seems pointless. For developers VMs exists, so seems pointless. But for real deep programming/testing, yeah, having dedicated hardware is nice... and those *already exist*.

exactly but none of those can be installed in your main PC's motherboard it needs separate space in your desk, separate PSU and separate case that's why I think the only reason to buy this nuc is that you can install it on your main system saving space and money

On 1/11/2020 at 2:36 AM, papajo said:

exactly but none of those can be installed in your main PC's motherboard it needs separate space in your desk, separate PSU and separate case that's why I think the only reason to buy this nuc is that you can install it on your main system saving space and money

Yeah, but most people buying systems with zero knowledge, will drop this in a basic walmart PC without the PSU to power it. XD

So you still end up with it only being worth it for developers/programmers.

So... I read through this thread and it seems like Intel didn't do anything at CES that AMD will care about. Therefore, it's likely that Ryzen prices will remain the same for a while.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

Hmm........I sense a new sub-$1000 value gaming laptop war brewing ~ starting with Vega and Ice Lake graphics in May.

Linus may want to do a comparison review when these hit shelves in May ~ maybe titled "Handy Tech: An 8 CORE laptop for $599"?

Acer Swift 3 (Core i7-1065G7):

• $1200+ (Core i3 model starts at $699)
  • 13.5-inch 2256x1504 display (3:2 aspect ratio) 
  • 4-Core/8-Threads @ 3.9Ghz
  • 64EU Iris Plus iGPU
  • 16GB LPDDR4X RAM
  • up to 1TB PCIe 3.0 M.2 SSD storage
  • Wi-Fi 6 & Bluetooth 5.0
  • Machine learning edge-selection (in Photoshop & similar applications)
  • 720p webcam
  • USB-C Thunderbolt 3 port on all models
  • 56Wh battery
  • Magnesium Alloy chassis
  • 2.62 pounds

Acer Swift 3 (Ryzen 4700U):

• $599
  • 14-inch 1920x1080 display (16:9 aspect ratio)
  • 8-Cores @ 4.1 Ghz
  • Vega 7 iGPU (50% better performance via higher sustained clock speeds)
  • 16GB LPDDR4X RAM
  • up to 512GB PCIe 3.0 M.2 SSD storage
  • Wi-Fi 6 & Bluetooth 5.0
  • 720p webcam
  • USB-C Gen2 Port, HDMI, 3.5mm jack
  • 50Wh+ battery?
  • Magnesium Alloy chassis
  • 2.65 pounds

More Coverage & Info:

Then Navi vs. Tiger Lake/Gen12 next year. ;)