Are all iso files equal?

Gamer Schnitzel

I have a very old Windows 10 install USB that I got when I bought Windows 10.

Obviously since then they released loads of new updates.

If I make a USB with a new Windows 10 iso will it contain all updates already so I don't have to install updates?

Updating obviously leaves trash files. It would be more efficient to install it up to date so I want to know

Unless there is some hardware restriction or other need for an old build, ALWAYS get the latest version of windows.  Security FTW.

4 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

If I make a USB with a new Windows 10 iso will it contain all updates already so I don't have to install updates?

The ISO Microsoft provides is likely only the release version the latest Windows 10 build they're offering. You'll very likely have to install updates.

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

The ISO Microsoft provides is likely only the release version the latest Windows 10 build they're offering. You'll very likely have to install updates.

You can download the ISO with latest cumulative update, November update namely, of course you'll have to get smaller updates that were live after that but you save a biiig chunk by going for the latest ISO available.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Yes if you have an original ISO that will be for the 2015 version.  There have been many updates since then (probably coming to around 10 now roughly) and if you download a new ISO it will be of the latest version, avoiding the need to run multiple updates.  You may still have minor updates to run as these change each week, but you will not have to run a major "Feature update", which I believe is what you're wondering about.  In fact, if you install the original version, you won't even be able to update because Microsoft considers it no longer supported.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

You can download the ISO with latest cumulative update, November update namely, of course you'll have to get smaller updates that were live after that but you save a biiig chunk by going for the latest ISO available.

Part of me doesn't think they do that because public software releases, at least if you're observing good software development practices, require you to do a regression test for each release.

But then again, maybe they release the Media Creation Tool with a "you better know what you're doing" disclaimer.

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Part of me doesn't think they do that because public software releases, at least if you're observing good software development practices, require you to do a regression test for each release.

But then again, maybe they release the Media Creation Tool with a "you better know what you're doing" disclaimer.

That's for home users, essentially the guinea pigs, they don't care. For business-critical applications they have LTSB.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Always use the latest version, which you can download directly from Microsoft. I have installed Windows 10 more times than I can remember, and every time I had to use an older version, especially REALLY old versions, because it was all I had, it's always a pain in the ass to get it fully updated to the latest version, once installed.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

11 minutes ago, Bruno_A said:

Always use the latest version, which you can download directly from Microsoft. I have installed Windows 10 more times than I can remember, and every time I had to use an older version, especially REALLY old versions, because it was all I had, it's always a pain in the ass to get it fully updated to the latest version, once installed.

How come you use 4x8 RAM sticks? Doesn't Ryzen run faster with dual channel?

5 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

4 sticks is still dual channel. Dual channel means that you have 2 matching sticks on correct slots.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

I initially used 2x8GB sticks making a total of 16GB. 16GB wasn't cutting it, anymore, so I upgraded with two more sticks.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans