Does training at a low fps improve skill?

sandvich64

does training at a low fps improve skill?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. does training at a low fps improve skill?

• yes
    • no

do you mean if you can get better even while playing at a low fps? yes but if you are asking if you learn faster with low fps than high fps no you are just better at compensating for not ideal fps and you probably will learn slower if anything

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

do you mean if you can get better even while playing at a low fps? yes but if you are asking if you learn faster with low fps than high fps no you are just better at compensating for not ideal fps and you probably will learn slower if anything

what i mean though is if you are already good at doing complex game maneuvers and if you then train the maneuvers at a low fps until you are as good as you were with the high fps

8 minutes ago, sandvich64 said:

what i mean though is if you are already good at doing complex game maneuvers and if you then train the maneuvers at a low fps until you are as good as you were with the high fps

depends on what level you are at rn. if you have a lot of room for improvement then yes if you make those improvements then you can be better with low fps than when you didnt make those improvements with high fps.

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

Actually not quite the same thing but I used to play PS3 a lot on a SD TV and when I finally got a HD TV (720p!!!) I improved so much in a very short time frame...   I could finally see!  Lol 

Yes,  not the same thing but I could see a similar effect with low fps,  because with low fps you have to compensate for, well,  being slower, and when you finally play at higher fps,  after some time getting used to it, everything should be "easier"... 

In theory! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

19 minutes ago, sandvich64 said:

Basically,  but I figure you'd have to play at lower fps for quite some time,  a few weeks at least   and no in-between "switching" to higher fps ,  because it's all about that muscle memory, and that is time dependent.  :)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

You need to train in the same conditions you'll be playing in during important ladder/tournament matches. So, if you're going to be playing them super-important matches on a 144 fps monitor, then you should train with the same monitor and settings as well. You don't want to disorient yourself by getting used to 30 fps and then suddenly changing that. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

4 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

You need to train in the same conditions you'll be playing in during important ladder/tournament matches

this.  if you train at a lower fps than what you would normally play at, all your doing if fucking your muscle memory and timing. you will be actively making yourself a worse player

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Practising anything will make you better, but you'd be best to practice at the conditions you are going to actually play with.  With that said, if you practice at 60 and then step up to 144, you'll do fine, where as if you practice at 144 and then step down to 60, you'll struggle more than someone who's used to 60.  I think this was shown in a recent LTT video.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

No? This is like training for a marathon while only hopping on one leg thinking it'll "make you faster" when you use both of them for the actual event.

It's all about feel. Driving at 30mphs doesnt improve your driving at 200mph.

i agree with person above.

i was master guardian 1 in csgo when i played on my laptop.

When i got my new setup i got supreme after 3 months.

i went from a dirty 17" laptop screen with 60-80 fps and 60hz to 27" 300 fps 144Hz g-sync.

it made a huge difference

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

15 hours ago, wasab said:

Humans can not tell the difference between 30 or 60 anyways. It isnt relevant.

I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference, any true gamer can tell the difference. On 30 fps I loose my mind how slow and stuttering it feels, even at 60 fps I get annoyed.

CPU: i9-9900K R0 3,6 GHz (Coffee Lake) | AIO: ROG RYUJIN 360 | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti ROG MATRIX | MOBO: ROG Maximus XI Extreme | RAM: Trident Z Neo Series, DDR4-3600, CL16 64 GB | Case: O11Dynamic XL (ROG Certified) | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum | SSD: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

19 hours ago, sandvich64 said:

Does training at a low fps like 30 or 50 improve aiming at higher fps?

I don't think you're asking the right question.

What matters are the conditions for which you will ultimately end up playing at.

If you can only play at low FPS (eg: 30), then practicing at a higher FPS is literally pointless, since it might actually make you worse. Practicing at the conditions you expect to play is ideal.

Practicing at a low FPS, while playing at a higher FPS doesn't inherently make a lot of sense either. You could certainly get better at that low FPS, but the smoothness and the way aiming works at a higher FPS means it's not the same, and therefore doesn't automatically make you better at both.

If you're going to play at high FPS, train at the same FPS.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 11/27/2019 at 3:52 PM, dalekphalm said:

Practicing at a low FPS, while playing at a higher FPS doesn't inherently make a lot of sense either. You could certainly get better at that low FPS, but the smoothness and the way aiming works at a higher FPS means it's not the same, and therefore doesn't automatically make you better at both.

I'm pretty sure it actually can make you better. If some of you remember old CoD:MW(from 2007) you also know that it has a mode called Promod which everyone played and even some pretty good championships came along with Promod. I remember playing it at 50 - 75 FPS for a long time, bare in mind that CoD:MW is console based so more FPS ment higher and longer jumping/strafeing, better bouncing, better registry from bullets while no-scoping/quickscoping/aiming, faster fire rate etc., and until I bought new computer where I could go to 250/333 FPS(to get 333 FPS you had to edit your config file), which still wasn't 250 FPS locked but it dropped in smokes and so on, I was pretty decent player and after I changed computer and gained additional ~200 FPS I went pro in one day. It's something you can't prove scientifically but indeed can doing so. You already know how hard it is to remain silent while running(which was possible only if you had 125/250/333 LOCKED FPS), how to rush somewhere while being slow and not able to strafe long enough, how your weapon is jumping places while aiming and firing, going more FPS ment a lot and improved your skill a lot in a matter of seconds.

Same as noticing difference between 30 / 60 FPS, not everyone can do it, but a real gamer can and with low effort. To someone who plays for the first time it makes no difference. :) 

CPU: i9-9900K R0 3,6 GHz (Coffee Lake) | AIO: ROG RYUJIN 360 | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti ROG MATRIX | MOBO: ROG Maximus XI Extreme | RAM: Trident Z Neo Series, DDR4-3600, CL16 64 GB | Case: O11Dynamic XL (ROG Certified) | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum | SSD: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

On 11/27/2019 at 1:13 PM, aaradorn said:

It's all about feel. Driving at 30mphs doesnt improve your driving at 200mph.

It actually does, you firstly have to know how to evey drive at 30mph to be able to drive at 200mph. ;) 

On 11/27/2019 at 3:18 AM, Tsuki said:

this.  if you train at a lower fps than what you would normally play at, all your doing if fucking your muscle memory and timing. you will be actively making yourself a worse player

Not really.  I've been playing tennis semi - professionally for a while and you (probably) have no idea how much players handicap themselves in order to become better.

If your good with a handicap (think an arm bound to your back,  sitting instead of standing etc etc etc) you *will* improve in a real match up situation...

I don't see how it's any different with "e-sports"  playing at low framerates,  low resolutions etc *will* make you a better player. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

You need to know how to drive but if you drive 30mphs for your entire life and then hit the gass to go 200mph you are gonna crash. Its a completely new game. You need to know how to take the corners, when to slow down, when you should speed up and more.

All in all, anyone who says humans cant see more the 30fps are lying to themselves, as they already see over 30fps. You just miss waay to much information at 30fps compared to 60fps and more.

5 hours ago, aaradorn said:

You need to know how to drive but if you drive 30mphs for your entire life and then hit the gass to go 200mph you are gonna crash. Its a completely new game. You need to know how to take the corners, when to slow down, when you should speed up and more.

The problem with this comparison is has nothing to do with frame rate.  This would be akin to training in a game at normal speed, and then cranking it up to run at 6.7x real time, regardless of frame rate.  It's a completely different concept.  More frame rate doesn't make it faster, it gives you more intermediate information.  To make a proper analogy with driving, it would be like learning to drive at night using strobe lights for headlights and then one day stepping up to using normal bulbs.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The problem with this comparison is has nothing to do with frame rate.  This would be akin to training in a game at normal speed, and then cranking it up to run at 6.7x real time, regardless of frame rate.  It's a completely different concept.  More frame rate doesn't make it faster, it gives you more intermediate information.  To make a proper analogy with driving, it would be like learning to drive at night using strobe lights for headlights and then one day stepping up to using normal bulbs.

The problem with this post is its just a spam post and everyone is just rolling with the flow. You really think anyone would be asking this question in 2019? 

This has to be a troll post.

On 11/29/2019 at 2:38 AM, aaradorn said:

The problem with this post is its just a spam post and everyone is just rolling with the flow. You really think anyone would be asking this question in 2019? 

This has to be a troll post.

ya ikr this absolutely is a troll post i wanted to see people get angry at me for asking an original curious question about framerate. and i succeeded did you not see all the angry people up there?

So, I'd like to put my two cents in. I have a friend who plays R6S with my friends and I. She had a shitty Toshiba Laptop that ran siege at 15fps at the lowest of settings. She finally got a lot better laptop and can run at 60fps at high settings. I will tell you, she went from like .3kd to a .8kd in a matter of days. and I guarantee you, once she gets the hang of it, she can be better then me probably.

No.... Not sure why you'd even think that, training at low FPS will probably lead to bad habits and muscle memory. (specifically talking about FPSs) 

And regardless of genre, all you're really doing is hindering your performance.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402