How much wall power does a speaker system draw?

Mister Woof

I have two computers on the same outlet (1800w 15amp) and i am unable to split them up. With a kilowatt meter on my power strip, at full CPU/GPU load my system and monitors consumes around 650w and my wife's PC less, at only around 400w. 

I want to know how much power a 2.1 speaker system such as the Logitech Z623 would actually consume fully cranked up? They are rated at 400w peak/200w RMS. 

Don't want to overload my circuit, even if chances of both systems pulling max draw at the same time is slim (mostly would pump up the volume on the speakers while doing nothing but cleaning, working, etc). 

I am assuming there's some overhead from other things like our wall lights (LED) etc, so don't want to even come close to max draw.

Thanks for the help

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Aren't wall outlets at like 1800 watts. You should be good assuming your power bar and stuff are decent quality

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Aren't wall outlets at like 1800 watts. You should be good assuming your power bar and stuff are decent quality

Assuming 650w + 500 for our systems alone, that's already over 1150, adding in maybe 100w for room lighting, that's 1250 leaving only about 550w head room.

That's assuming I don't upgrade my wife's PC much or move to a higher cut count cpu.

Which is why I was asking about the speakers.

Although rarely would we both be running A64 cpu/gpu tests at the same time with the speakers blasting at full, I just wanted to know.

If something says it's 400w peak, how much does it actually pull at the wall at Max load?

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

how much does it actually pull at the wall at Max load?

400w, but reasonably you'll never hit that unless you trying to get tinnitus, and even that it'll only last for a few seconds

4 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

That's assuming I don't upgrade my wife's PC much or move to a higher cut count cpu.

Like in general, upgrading dosen't really use that much extra power and chips are becoming more energy efficient. Like if i remeber correctly thers likea 60-70 w diffrence between a 2060 and 2080

My life

5 minutes ago, Himommies said:

400w, but reasonably you'll never hit that unless you trying to get tinnitus, and even that it'll only last for a few seconds

Like in general, upgrading dosen't really use that much extra power and chips are becoming more energy efficient. Like if i remeber correctly thers likea 60-70 w diffrence between a 2060 and 2080

I'm a glutton for punishment sometimes with buying AMD GPUs; I was pretty surprised that I measured 650w off my system.

8700k at 5ghz/1.36v, Vega 64 +50% power limit, and three displays.

Her system is way less only 400ish but it's a stock 8700 and rx 580 with 2 displays.

In real-world gaming I'm at 450w off my whole strip and like 300 off wife's, so I suppose it's just theoretical maximum I'm thinking about.

At normal listening volumes, the amp will be drawing approximately 10W max. 200W RMS is the maximum that the amp can output, which is with everything cranked to max.

Power usage is halved with every 3dB reduction in volume, so by the time that you are 10dB down from max output, your power draw is 10% of the max output (or 20W). ±10dB is roughly half or double the perceived loudness, so it's highly unlikely that you are normally listening at 10dB from max. Typically, 1W per speaker is more than sufficient in a smallish room.

The speakers will consume some amount, depending on the volume you have.

You'll have to run the speakers at maximum to get a high power consumption.

The Logitech Z623  has 35w rms stereo speakers and 130w subwoofer.

The audio amplifier will be probably over 70% efficient, being a class D amplifier.

Assume you're gonna have an average of 10-15w per speaker and maybe average of 60w on the subwoofer, at volume high enough (like watching a movie on the couch) as the woofer only pumps on bass, for short periods, it's not continuous... so just round up to around 100w for such a system.

When sitting in front of the pc, listing music while typing a letter or something kinda deal, you're probably looking at 20-40 watts.

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The speakers will consume some amount, depending on the volume you have.

You'll have to run the speakers at maximum to get a high power consumption.

The Logitech Z623  has 35w rms stereo speakers and 130w subwoofer.

The audio amplifier will be probably over 70% efficient, being a class D amplifier.

Assume you're gonna have an average of 10-15w per speaker and maybe average of 60w on the subwoofer, at volume high enough (like watching a movie on the couch) as the woofer only pumps on bass, for short periods, it's not continuous... so just round up to around 100w for such a system.

When sitting in front of the pc, listing music while typing a letter or something kinda deal, you're probably looking at 20-40 watts.

8 minutes ago, badreg said:

At normal listening volumes, the amp will be drawing approximately 10W max. 200W RMS is the maximum that the amp can output, which is with everything cranked to max.

Power usage is halved with every 3dB reduction in volume, so by the time that you are 10dB down from max output, your power draw is 10% of the max output (or 20W). ±10dB is roughly half or double the perceived loudness, so it's highly unlikely that you are normally listening at 10dB from max. Typically, 1W per speaker is more than sufficient in a smallish room.

Thanks you two - in all likelihood I will be using my headphones for gaming and use the speakers for music primarily while doing chores in the same room.

1 hour ago, Plutosaurus said:

I have two computers on the same outlet (1800w 15amp) and i am unable to split them up. With a kilowatt meter on my power strip, at full CPU/GPU load my system and monitors consumes around 650w and my wife's PC less, at only around 400w. 

I want to know how much power a 2.1 speaker system such as the Logitech Z623 would actually consume fully cranked up? They are rated at 400w peak/200w RMS. 

Don't want to overload my circuit, even if chances of both systems pulling max draw at the same time is slim (mostly would pump up the volume on the speakers while doing nothing but cleaning, working, etc). 

I am assuming there's some overhead from other things like our wall lights (LED) etc, so don't want to even come close to max draw.

Thanks for the help

Most likely very little, think in the range of 40-50 watts at 95dB, given the efficiency they most likely will have (not very low, but not as high as klipschorns)

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

1 hour ago, badreg said:

TBH, I highly doubt that amp will do 200 watts RMS

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

speakers draw as much watts as the ghosts can digest. If they cant digest the watts, they be: Aight, imma head out.

Seriously though, your ear would bleed before you would get the 200W RMS output. And I seriously doubt you draw constant 1800W from the outlet. Realistically, you draw 1/3rd of the rated maximum.