Uh-oh intel ?‍♂️?‍♂️

It seems only the news ones as I have a Kaby-Lake. Even thought they say 4% of performance, I wonder if I'm going to notice it. Probably not.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

It doesn't exactly affect any consumer workload when left unpatched.....

Millionaires should not profit off communities.

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

It seems only the news ones as I have a Kaby-Lake. Even thought they say 4% of performance, I wonder if I'm going to notice it. Probably not.

Well, for the sake of discussion an impact is an impact.  In the realms of user noticeably we are talking 3-4 ms's in browsing and similar low compute workloads.

For heavier workloads it looks like this:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-jcc-microcode&num=4

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

-does not meet posting guidelines for tech news subforum-

Damn, the issues just don't stop with them do they? xD  and 4% may not sound like much but purchasing decisions are sometimes made on that little of a lead.  They really don't have much left in the way of advantages: price? features? efficiency? security? memory bandwidth? expanability?  All better on AMD's side of the street.  Intel has thus far managed to hold onto a slight gaming lead but it's on the order of single digit percentages in the majority of cases and this isn't going to help them any.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Well, for the sake of discussion an impact is an impact.  In the realms of user noticeably we are talking 3-4 ms's in browsing and similar low compute workloads.

For heavier workloads it looks like this:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-jcc-microcode&num=4

So some loss in performance but nothing major.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Intel FX108350 Hemorrhoid Lake

Enjoy it consumers, enjoy it.  I swear you have the cores we say are on the spec sheet!

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

-does not meet posting guidelines for tech news subforum-

Damn, the issues just don't stop with them do they? xD  and 4% may not sound like much but purchasing decisions are sometimes made on that little of a lead.  They really don't have much left in the way of advantages: price? features? efficiency? security? memory bandwidth? expanability?  All better on AMD's side of the street.  Intel has thus far managed to hold onto a slight gaming lead but it's on the order of single digit percentages in the majority of cases and this isn't going to help them any.

Depending heavily on what you do with the hardware.  Companies will usually take a noticeable hit in performance/dollar for track record uptime. This isn't a "because we've always used Intel" argument, it is a conditional observation with nothing for retaliative comparison.    

Whilst browsing through the tests I posted earlier, it looks like Apache got a performance boost out of the new Unicode, but lost it again after using the new compiler and new unicode.    This would suggest many owners have options even in how they apply mitigations that will result in minimal losses and in some cases gains.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

41 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

4%

Some people get crazy over 1% perf gains in benchmarks like 3DMark and such,  I'd say 4% is a lot.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

19 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Depending heavily on what you do with the hardware.  Companies will usually take a noticeable hit in performance/dollar for track record uptime. This isn't a "because we've always used Intel" argument, it is a conditional observation with nothing for retaliative comparison.    

Whilst browsing through the tests I posted earlier, it looks like Apache got a performance boost out of the new Unicode, but lost it again after using the new compiler and new unicode.    This would suggest many owners have options even in how they apply mitigations that will result in minimal losses and in some cases gains.

Indeed it does depend, at least in a situation where some things work better with one than the other, but it seems like a lot of huge names have realized that AMD is going to serve them better:

https://www.hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/136478-netflix-eyes-move-amd-epyc-processors-data-centres/

https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/compute/amd-epyc-processors-come-to-google-and-to-google-cloud

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/amd-stock-jumps-as-amazon-starts-using-epyc-chips-in-the-cloud-2018-11-06

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-new-amd-epyc-based-azure-virtual-machines/

Steve even mentioned the other day that their web host is part of this gang.  It's so bad that in many cases apparently they're not just moving to AMD as the time to refresh comes up, they're breaking out of their traditional upgrade cycle to move asap

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

17 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Indeed it does depend, at least in a situation where some things work better with one than the other, but it seems like a lot of huge names have realized that AMD is going to serve them better:

https://www.hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/136478-netflix-eyes-move-amd-epyc-processors-data-centres/

https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/compute/amd-epyc-processors-come-to-google-and-to-google-cloud

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/amd-stock-jumps-as-amazon-starts-using-epyc-chips-in-the-cloud-2018-11-06

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-new-amd-epyc-based-azure-virtual-machines/

Steve even mentioned the other day that their web host is part of this gang.  It's so bad that in many cases apparently they're not just moving to AMD as the time to refresh comes up, they're breaking out of their traditional upgrade cycle to move asap

Uptake is good for AMD, no doubt about that.  Most of those are new builds and development so it is not surprising an AMD get a look in (the IT man wouldn't be doing his job if they weren't properly evaluated and AMD wouldn't be doing theirs if they didn't sell any).  But I don't think you will find a company or data centre just start throwing in epyc servers because they are cheaper or a few % faster, it is usually a long process when acquiring or upgrading major hardware (it doesn't matter if that is earth moving equipment, soldering irons in a factory or servers in a data centre).  Also whilst GN might be able to move their hosting to a different data centre on a bad day,  I haven't really seen any reports that servers are failing to the point where a premature upgrade was warranted.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Uptake is good for AMD, no doubt about that.  Most of those are new builds and development so it is not surprising an AMD get a look in (the IT man wouldn't be doing his job if they weren't properly evaluated and AMD wouldn't be doing theirs if they didn't sell any).  But I don't think you will find a company or data centre just start throwing in epyc servers because they are cheaper or a few % faster, it is usually a long process when acquiring or upgrading major hardware (it doesn't matter if that is earth moving equipment, soldering irons in a factory or servers in a data centre).  Also whilst GN might be able to move their hosting to a different data centre on a bad day,  I haven't really seen any reports that servers are failing to the point where a premature upgrade was warranted.

Sure not for a few percent, but when it's on the order of 170% on top of costing less than 1/3 and using less power and not having security issues left and right, meanwhile offering massively more PCIe connectivity and speed, it starts to look pretty good.  Did you see the original benchmarks for Rome when that came out a few months back?

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Sure not for a few percent, but when it's on the order of 170% on top of costing less than 1/3 and using less power and not having security issues left and right, meanwhile offering massively more PCIe connectivity and speed, it starts to look pretty good.  Did you see the original benchmarks for Rome when that came out a few months back?

And that is why it is gaining traction (especially in new builds.arrays), but again, majority of business will not upgrade unnecessarily and are not generally attracted by the performance/dollar metric without all other considerations having been addressed.

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Some people get crazy over 1% perf gains in benchmarks like 3DMark and such,  I'd say 4% is a lot.  

that's just for competition or e-peen contest where it matters.

In general one should never build a system that's borderline in performance on what they want to do with it. Always give yourself more headroom.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

8 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

e-peen

Yes, I'm aware. ;)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Well, I'll wait for benchmarks.

Already have X299 Dark. So unlucky.

At least mobo + CPU will cost as much as new Intel CPU so I have options still.

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.

This is what happens when you don't update your architecture for 4 years. Chances are if Intel had hit and released 10nm as planned these bugs would only affect older CPUs but because everything is still based on Skylake even the latest CPUs are still affected.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Hasn’t this been the case for ever a decade now? Still not seeing a problem. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz