HELIOS - ASSEMBLED 2015-SEP-06 - (Caselabs SMH10 | Black/Copper | EVGA SR-2 )

@Slick can I have some pizza? :o

If possible I would like a Schintzel @Slick

Guys, I think the man has better things to do than deliver virtual food to people. ;)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Colour-Coordinating the Raystorms

OK, as you have already seen, I have polished the Raystorms (although there are still some

fine scratches which I need to get out at this point). I've never really been a fan of the alu

in the bracket, so I thought I'd paint it black. I must admit that I screwed up the paint job

a bit, so this is just temporary, but it should give you some idea of what I'm going for and

how it might eventually look.

(click image for full res)

aw--helios--2013-10-09--01--raystorm-cub

Even though I'm very happy with the colour combo on this, I'm still not sure if I actually like

the shape of the bracket, and I am seriously considering making my own. However, I have

so far not been able to come up with any satisfactory ideas, so I'm open for suggestions

on that one (I can't promise you I'll follow them, but I will be grateful nonetheless ;)).

Cheers,

-aw

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

How did you mask the XSPC branding?

I didn't, the brushed part is just a face plate which you can take out of the actual

bracket.

Colour-Coordinating the Raystorms

Even though I'm very happy with the colour combo on this, I'm still not sure if I actually like

the shape of the bracket, and I am seriously considering making my own. However, I have

so far not been able to come up with any satisfactory ideas, so I'm open for suggestions

on that one (I can't promise you I'll follow them, but I will be grateful nonetheless ;)).

Cheers,

-aw

Make one? Make a model and get it machined out of 5mm alu.

I can even help you with the modelling and machine work.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Yeah would be nice to see something custom on there man :)

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Make one? Make a model and get it machined out of 5mm alu.

I can even help you with the modelling and machine work.

Yeah, that's the general idea. The thing is, I don't really hate the

stock plate, I'm just not completely and utterly happy with it, so I want

to see if I (or someone else ;)) can come up with something I like better, but

so far no luck.

But there are certainly other things I need to get done first (*cough* tubing

*cough*), so this is not extremely urgent, but I wanted to throw it out there

to potentially get some creative juices flowing early enough.

What's been bothering me a tad about the stock bracket are those large radii at

the outside. While they do give the bracket a rather elegant look and are

certainly a welcome change to the generic brackets which just have four "legs"

coming out at their corners for the screw holes, I would prefer to have something

which emphasizes straight lines with round corners rather than completely round

lines from corner to corner, if that makes any sense. I think it would fit the

build's tubing theme much more, which is basically exactly that: straight connections

with rounded corners.

I have also been wanting to get a bit of copper into the bracket, but not as

a "main" colour but really just as an accent.

In any case, thank you very much for your generous offer, maybe I might just

come back to you on that. My neighbour with the lathe also has a mill though,

and he's been very supportive and enthusiastic about this project, so maybe he'd

like to do it instead. I'll let you know, and either way, you have my gratitude. :)

EDIT:

Yeah would be nice to see something custom on there man :)

Yup, agreed. :)

Deciding on a Backplate, Small M/B Teaser

As some of you may know, the Xeon sockets come with a slightly different mounting system than the normal

LGA1366 (at least as far as I can tell, I've never owned a normal 1366 board). Basically, the backplate is an

integral part of the mounting system, something like LGA2011 I think.

The neat thing about this is that the bolts which are used by the Raystorm mounting system have compatible

threads (M3), so if I want I can use the stock Raystorm bolts with the stock Xeon backplate. However, from what

I've been able to tell, most people who have an SR-2 seem to be using the backplates which come with their

coolers, so I thought I'd take a closer look at the backplate which comes with the Raystorm, compare the two

and then make the decision.

This is one of the Raystorm's bolts. It's a rather convenient mounting system I must admit. XSPC did a good

job on that one IMO.

aw--helios--2013-10-13--01--xeon-bracket

Taking the socket apart is as easy as undoing four Torx nuts:

aw--helios--2013-10-13--02--xeon-bracket

The top part separated from the backplate. You can see the threads coming through the PCB to which

the top part of the bracket is attached.

aw--helios--2013-10-13--03--xeon-bracket

The top bracket by itself:

aw--helios--2013-10-13--04--xeon-bracket

And the backplate. I must say I was rather impressed by this, it is a very solid piece of metal. The four threads

are an integral part of the backplate.

aw--helios--2013-10-13--05--xeon-bracket

aw--helios--2013-10-13--06--xeon-bracket

The Raystorm backplate is made from significantly thinner metal, but has some contours shaped into it to

give it more strength. As those of you who know your mechanics may know, this is a very effective technique

and can significantly increase the strength of a sheet of metal (or anything, really).

aw--helios--2013-10-13--07--raystorm-bac

Still, the difference in thickness between the two plates is pretty noticeable. I have therefore decided to go

with the stock Xeon backplate for now.

aw--helios--2013-10-13--08--xeon-vs-rays

Also, a small teaser for what's to come (it's not done yet in this pic by any stretch, just FYI ;)):

aw--helios--2013-10-13--09--sr-2-be-teas

Still, the difference in thickness between the two plates is pretty noticeable. I have therefore decided to go

with the stock Xeon backplate for now.

I think you've made the right decision here... In my mind it even looks better than the aftermarket one.

aw--helios--2013-10-13--09--sr-2-be-teas

Did you kill someone with that board?

Looking awesome alpenwasser!!!

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB

Stop teasing me :)

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

I think you've made the right decision here... In my mind it even looks better than the aftermarket one.

Haha, yeah I prefer the stock plate's aesthetics as well. It's a really nice and

solid piece of metal and looks very sleek IMO. Also, the mounting mechanism is

really elegant I think. If it turns out I do need to change the backplate, I may

well mod another one and use the same mechanism to directly bolt the top part of

the bracket to it.

Did you kill someone with that board?

Uh oh, the mods really do know everything! :o

Looking awesome alpenwasser!!!

Thanks! :)

Stop teasing me :)

But it's so fun! evil-happy.gif

Uh oh, the mods really do know everything! :o

Well, secretly, the WAN show stands for Well-thought-out Alpenwasser Net-actions-following-program and it's funded by the NSA, but if I tell you that, I'd have to kill you...

Well, secretly, the WAN show stands for Well-thought-out Alpenwasser Net-actions-following-program and it's funded by the NSA, but if I tell you that, I'd have to kill you...

Now it all makes sense!

Guys, I think the man has better things to do than deliver virtual food to people. ;)

I highly doubt that. I aswell heard from very relieable sources that @Slick can make amazing food. 

LoL touché

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

But it's so fun! evil-happy.gif

But it's not for me :(

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

But it's not for me :(

Alright, I shall be merciful and present to you:

The EVGA SR-2 Black Edition

Right then. I think most of us will agree that the SR-2 is a rather smexy piece of hardware. However, two

things:

• 1. The "red" on the PCI and RAM slots is more red-salmon than red. It's not downright ugly, but

it's not a very nice shade of red IMO.

• 2. Even if it were, red does not at all fit into my colour scheme.
So, measures had to be taken. But first, a few images of the stock board, just because I can:

aw--helios--2013-10-13--10--sr-2-stock.j

aw--helios--2013-10-13--11--sr-2-stock.j

aw--helios--2013-10-13--12--sr-2-stock.j

Also, since we're here anyway: Yeah, I really do have some X5680's in there. :D

aw--helios--2013-10-13--13--xeon-x5680.j

After consulting with my technical committee...

aw--consulting-team.jpeg

...I first tried out using 3M 1080 car wrap on the PCI-E slots. It didn't actually work too badly, but

it just didn't look right. I'm not sure why TBH, something was just off about it. So, the decision was

taken to paint most of the red bits of the board. In cooperation with some Humbrol Enamel Paint

(and some paint thinner, not pictured, because this stuff is rather gloopy).

Credit goes to Gary Wain (G-Dubs) on the OC3D forum and his NZXSPC build log for the idea.

aw--zeus--2013-05-29--06--humbrol.jpeg

After the first two coats of paint/thinner mixture it looked like this:

aw--helios--2013-10-13--14--sr-2-be-inte

Now, no matter how well and thoroughly I paint the board, I was never going to be painting the insides

of the PCI-E and the RAM slots. I have actually heard of a guy doing this with spray paint and then just

yanking a board in and out a few times (therefore scraping off the paint again), but I wasn't willing to

risk my board on that. So, I had to devise a different plan, because the red here was still bothering me

quite a bit.

Therefore: 3M to the rescue!

aw--helios--2013-10-13--15--3m-to-the-re

The idea was just to cover the top sides of the PCI-E slots. This also allows me to just take off the wrap

again if I ever need to use more slots. thumb.gif

After wrapping the PCI-E slots, I also painted them with the Humbrol mixture to have the same shade of

black everywhere (this pic is still without the Humbrol layer though).

aw--helios--2013-10-13--16--pci-e-slots-

Of course, the IO area also got a good dose of paint. You'll notice the paint hasn't properly covered

everything, even after three coats. I don't have any primer for this paint, and I can't/won't use and spray

primer, so it will have to stay this way. Since it's only on the parts which you won't see once the board

is inside the case (can't get the necessary angle of sight), this doesn't bother me that much and I probably

won't further try to fix it.

aw--helios--2013-10-13--17--sr-2-be-io.j

The same applies to the RAM slots: The bits which are still red either can't be covered or will be hidden due

to angle of sight and/or the RAM water blocks. So don't panic. ;)

aw--helios--2013-10-13--18--sr-2-be-ram-

And a few close-up shots of the PCI-E slots:

aw--helios--2013-10-13--19--sr-2-be-pcie

aw--helios--2013-10-13--20--sr-2-be-pcie

aw--helios--2013-10-13--21--sr-2-be-pcie

And the board in its glorious entirety. The PCI-E slots which isn't covered will of course be used

by the Titan.

aw--helios--2013-10-13--22--sr-2-be.jpeg

aw--helios--2013-10-13--23--sr-2-be.jpeg

Imperfections

You'll notice the odd imperfection here and there (for example, the caps and power/reset are

only painted on their tops). Regarding the caps: I don't want to completely cover them in paint

for thermal reasons, and the reset/power switches will be hidden anyway (behind the top radiator).

Any imperfections which are still visible and actually bothering me once it's all mounted in the

case will be corrected later.

Also, keep in mind that most of the imperfections do not stick out at you IRL at all, but I made

sure to have very good lighting for taking the pictures, otherwise you wouldn't have really be able

to see what's going on with all that black on the board.

Now I just hope the board is still OK. I did test the board on Friday and it ran OK, let's hope that

hasn't changed. sweating.gif

So long,

-aw

That looks amazing, reminds me abit off that build I saw recently, the dark knight. Batman themed build. He painted the PCI-E slots aswell. But arghhh.. can't wait to see it all together! 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

THAT DOG <3 and the board is nice also :P

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

That looks amazing, reminds me abit off that build I saw recently, the dark knight. Batman themed build. He painted the PCI-E slots aswell. But arghhh.. can't wait to see it all together!

Thanks, I'm eager to have her up and running myself. :)

THAT DOG <3 and the board is nice also :P

Yeah he's making pretty much the perfect aaawww-face in that pic if I may say so. :wub:

And thanks!

fuck, just give it to me.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

fuck, just give it to me.

NO.jpeg

:o

:D

When the build is finished, can we get a beauty shot of the build with the cute doggie sitting next to it being all adorable? :wub: It'd be the forum's greatest photo... :D^_^

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness