HELIOS - ASSEMBLED 2015-SEP-06 - (Caselabs SMH10 | Black/Copper | EVGA SR-2 )

I went for a job last week. They asked what my weakness was..

"Honesty."

"I don't think honesty is a weakness."

"I don't give a fuck what you think."

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

(On another note: I would really like to be in such a comfortable position

to be able to waste a job opportunity and actually give that answer just

to see their faces once, but alas :lol: ).

If you ever do that, make sure you capture it on video :D

I was actually wondering the same thing as I was writing the previous comment. We must be pissing of all the subscribers of this thread, I guess :P

Don't worry, I enjoy reading you and Alpen ramble on.  :lol:

At least it's something interesting when I get a notification about a reply to this thread.  ^_^  :P

A build update is just a bonus  ;)

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

I went for a job last week. They asked what my weakness was..

"Honesty."

"I don't think honesty is a weakness."

"I don't give a fuck what you think."

dragon.gif

If you ever do that, make sure you capture it on video :D

Oh, you can count on that. :D

Don't worry, I enjoy reading you and Alpen ramble on.  :lol:

At least it's something interesting when I get a notification about a reply to this thread.  ^_^  :P

A build update is just a bonus  ;)

Happy to be of service. Now, if you excuse me I need to go check on my

GPU block to see if it's ready for its photo shoot (been away all day).

Until later, hopefully. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Until later, hopefully. :)

Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet?

Damn, you beat me to it :D

Aaargh, sorry guys I forgot about one small detail and need to fix

that before I'm willing to upload the pics. But I'd rather have it

done properly and not half, which I'm sure you'll understand.

ETA: Tomorrow! It's already done, I just need to wait for the paint

to dry (again...).

Again, sorry! tomatoes.gif

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Aaargh, sorry guys I forgot about one small detail and need to fix

that before I'm willing to upload the pics. But I'd rather have it

done properly and not half, which I'm sure you'll understand.

ETA: Tomorrow! It's already done, I just need to wait for the paint

to dry (again...).

Again, sorry! tomatoes.gif

Haha, was only teasing! No problem! Fully understand and don't expect much else from you. 

Can't wait to see! 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

You need to buy yourself one of these... Your paint will be dried up the nanosecond you applied it :D

I think amazon had one for sale, think it was 50% off! They only would not ship it to you. 

You need to buy yourself one of these... Your paint will be dried up the nanosecond you applied it :D

It's a bit on the heavy side, is there a pocket variant? :lol:

Haha, was only teasing! No problem! Fully understand and don't expect much else from you. 

Can't wait to see!

Glad to hear that. :)

I think amazon had one for sale, think it was 50% off! They only would not ship it to you.

I think there would be export restrictions?

Ooooo you dirty rotten tease !

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

AW will figure something out, I'm sure. He talked about starting a company, might as well be a transport company ;)

It's a bit on the heavy side, is there a pocket variant? :lol:

Well, that depends on the size of your pockets. The smallest one currently in stock is the OTS 44 . Only weighs in at 29.82825 x 1027 kg. That's only 1.5% of the original offer!

@MG2R I like this guy.. 

AW will figure something out, I'm sure. He talked about starting a company, might as well be a transport company ;)

Well, that depends on the size of your pockets. The smallest one currently in stock is the OTS 44 . Only weighs in at 29.82825 x 1027 kg. That's only 1.5% of the original offer!

Ooooo you dirty rotten tease !

Sorry mate. In the end I decided against the clear coat though, otherwise

it would take even longer. ;)

I did actually work in logistics at some point, the Swiss post... 

Oh, that might work. Although, maybe pooof.gif

Alright then, going to bed now, it's been a very long day. Cheers everyone!

Alright then, going to bed now, it's been a very long day. Cheers everyone!

Why can't I do this? :( Goodnight all!.. 

Nop.. still here.. 

..Gosh, I have a problem

You and me both man, got to get up at 6 in the morning, but still here (00:16)

Yeah, i had to get up at 6:30, same time zone as you. Oh well, im still alive.. so.

Colour-Coordinating the Kryographics Titan

I really like this block, but it's not black and copper. Can't have that now, can we?

The block comes in a nicely sealed bag:

(click image for full res)

aw--helios--2013-10-01--01--kryographics

...and without the plastic wrapping. You can see the steel bracket which is used to hold down

the acrylic cover. It really is a very nice concept because you're almost certain not to crack

the acrylic with this method of bolting it down. Plus, it allows for some subtle modding... :D

aw--helios--2013-10-01--02--kryographics

The bracket itself. I just so happened to have exactly as many copper screws left over as I

needed for this mod. I did have to shorten them with the cutting wheel though.

aw--helios--2013-10-01--03--kryographics

The acrylic itself looks like this below the bracket:

aw--helios--2013-10-01--04--kryographics

TADA! lauded.gif

aw--helios--2013-10-01--05--kryographics

Some glory shots...

aw--helios--2013-10-01--06--kryographics

aw--helios--2013-10-01--07--kryographics

Naturally, I needed to paint these screws as well (that's what I had forgotten to

do yesterday :o ):

aw--helios--2013-10-01--08--kryographics

I really like the rough powder coat finish on the Caselabs cases, so I tried to approximate

that with a simple spray can. First I gave it a coat of etch primer, then three coats of black.

I let it dry and sanded it (wet) with 5000 grit. Finally, I gave it one last coat of black, but from

rather far away (~50 cm/20", as opposed to the manufacturer-recommended 20~25 cm),

which results in small droplets instead of one contiguous coat. I'm definitely no paint expert,

but I'm pretty happy with the result, it's certainly a lot closer to CL's powder coat than a

flat coat would have been (plus, I'm painting the Raystorms' alu brackets, which have a texture

that also results in a similar finish to this, so it matches rather nicely that as well). :)

aw--helios--2013-10-01--09--kryographics

As always, thanks for stopping by. :)

:o :O and thrice :o

That's nice dude. Like really, really nice. I love how it comes shrink packed with the air removed like a parcel of drugs hahaha.

:o :o and thrice :o

That's nice dude. Like really, really nice.

Thanks mate! :)

I love how it comes shrink packed with the air removed like a parcel of drugs hahaha.

Hehe, yeah, that's pretty neat. Although it's not completely devoid of

air, there's still some left. I think Alphacool actually do a much

stronger vacuum on their GPU blocks from what I've seen, not totally

sure though.

I don't know if I've asked this question already, but are you going to leave the copper exposed or are you gonna wrap it in vinyl/paint it?

Oh, and what's the actual purpose of this build? Gaming? Rendering? 

Edit: 500th reply, yaaay!

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900