Why do corsair psu cables have that massive brick of shrink wrap?? Can i just cut it off?

The Torrent

I just wanna cut it off in which world would having it be ok?? Can i just cut it off?? Like why tf is it there???!?!!??!

rm750x

Tried to hide it with a Velcro thing on the gpu loool. Why tf would they do this? I mean look at the 24 pin like how can they not know it’s not gonna fit and look like a massive block back in r&d.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's probably there to keep the mesh in place.

Cutting it off is likely not a great idea, although I would kind of expect another layer of (uglier) tape or something below it.

Or if you truly look into your PC enough times, you could invest into a sleeved cable set (like those of Cablemod. Be sure to get the one fit for your PSU)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I think I know what you're referring to. You could cut it, but very carefully. I imagine it's there for cable management (to keep the bundle together). I don't have any issues with it's existence on my RM1000x.

5 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I think I know what you're referring to. You could cut it, but very carefully. I imagine it's there for cable management (to keep the bundle together). I don't have any issues with it's existence on my RM1000x.

Rly? Even on 24pin? Can u send photo?

3P7A2846-Edit.thumb.jpg.8664a9d992d687c713b26b13c83ce64c.jpg

They're pretty manageable if you use tie down points on the case.

Why do corsair psu cables have that massive brick of shrink wrap??

The heat shrink is covering the in-line capacitors used on those cables.

You can see a picture of the capacitors in the cables here: https://www.corsair.com/ja/pt/blog/Explanation-of-RMi-New-Type-4-Cables

As you can likely see from the picture, cutting the heat shrink off will only end up making it look worse.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

31 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

Rly? Even on 24pin? Can u send photo?

Spoiler

552184860_20191030_1145271.thumb.jpg.cfaacac090c70255ecda8e92a50c7752.jpg

Spoiler

2057916718_20191030_1145501.thumb.jpg.f3b56c2e16181b3483c58cc78199f787.jpg

I have a massive ass full tower though, so it's possible I just don't have issues with routing and stuff. Also ignore the poor cable management, that's temporary for backing up my data.

20 minutes ago, Spotty said:

You can see a picture of the capacitors in the cables here: https://www.corsair.com/ja/pt/blog/Explanation-of-RMi-New-Type-4-Cables

As you can likely see from the picture, cutting the heat shrink off will only end up making it look worse.

ahhhhhhhhhh

well imo stupid decision from corsair still, destroy the aesthetics for a few little caps that make at max 25mw difference.

23 minutes ago, Spotty said:

wait a sec, thats RMI, i have rm750x, rmx. Is it still the same???

Also u guys know how the pcie cable has an extra 4 pin is it hanging off?? What actually is that for? Can i yank it out?

Sounds like you'd cure your visual OCD by getting cheap cable extensions.

3 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

wait a sec, thats RMI, i have rm750x, rmx. Is it still the same???

Yes. That's the "Corsair Type 4" cables. Same cables are used on the RMi and RMx.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

13 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

ahhhhhhhhhh

well imo stupid decision from corsair still, destroy the aesthetics for a few little caps that make at max 25mw difference.

Milliwatt?

11 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

Also u guys know how the pcie cable has an extra 4 pin is it hanging off?? What actually is that for? Can i yank it out?

Please don't. As suggested, buy CableMod cables if this annoys you that much.

12 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

PCIe cables are 6+2. No 4pin connector on them.

If you're referring to the extra 6+2 connector on the PCIe cable, then if you're not using it the best thing to do is to just cable tie it back on the cable like you have done with that velcro strap.

29 minutes ago, Spotty said:

PCIe cables are 6+2. No 4pin connector on them.

If you're referring to the extra 6+2 connector on the PCIe cable, then if you're not using it the best thing to do is to just cable tie it back on the cable like you have done with that velcro strap.

Looks ugly tho. What are they actually for? I’d think to power a second graphics card but 1. Single wire for 2 gpu’s? 2. Corsair expect everyone to have a sli setup? (2 pcie wires both are for 2).

would it hurt anything to yank it out? I ain’t ever gonna use sli.

47 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Milliwatt?

Sorry said everything wrong. Total difference of only 7.5 mV.

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

Looks ugly tho. What are they actually for? I’d think to power a second graphics card but 1. Single wire for 2 gpu’s? 2. Corsair expect everyone to have a sli setup? (2 pcie wires both are for 2).

It's for graphics cards that require more than one 8pin connector.

I'm not going to recommend ruining your cables just because you think they look bad.

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

It's for graphics cards that require more than one 8pin connector.

I'm not going to recommend ruining your cables just because you think they look bad.

Face it tho. Rm750x is never gonna be out of date really with a 10 year warranty and I ain’t ever gonna use more than 750w or even near.

this is mine to keep and I’m never gonna use sli or 8 pin gpu Cuz I’m poor so resale value chuck that away I think I’m gonna yank this bad boy out...

I might just buy a 24pin extension then for the other thing and call it a day.

22 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

I might just buy a 24pin extension then for the other thing and call it a day.

Why waste money on an extension when you don't need to extend the cable?  Just buy a different 24-pin cable without the caps.

2 hours ago, The Torrent said:

ahhhhhhhhhh

well imo stupid decision from corsair still, destroy the aesthetics for a few little caps that make at max 25mv difference.

I disagree.  I take the extra performance every day of the week and twice on Sundays.   Besides, there are plenty of other options if you feel that strongly about the in-cable caps.  The RM for example (non-X or I edition). 

6 hours ago, The Torrent said:

Rm750x is never gonna be out of date really with a 10 year warranty

You will void your warranty if you modify the cables or the psu itself in any way. If this is that much of an issue, just flip the psu on Ebay and buy a different one that suites your needs.

I don't mean to be an ass, but you're really just making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

18 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Why waste money on an extension when you don't need to extend the cable?  Just buy a different 24-pin cable without the caps.

A cable is like 20 quid an extension is a fiver.