Why do corsair psu cables have that massive brick of shrink wrap?? Can i just cut it off?

The Torrent
12 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

You will void your warranty if you modify the cables or the psu itself in any way. If this is that much of an issue, just flip the psu on Ebay and buy a different one that suites your needs.

I don't mean to be an ass, but you're really just making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

Damn I’ll just buy a braided psu extension for a fiver aswell then.

it’ll void warranty? Well thanks didn’t know what.

also I wouldn’t sell psu and buy a completely different one go through with thwt much hassle just for £15 worth of extensions.

im buying extensions cuz they are like the quarter the price.

4 hours ago, The Torrent said:

A cable is like 20 quid an extension is a fiver.

Where?

What brand?

Within the same brand, extensions and replacement cables cost the same.

I'm very against extensions as the additional connectors and added length of wire adds a lot of resistance and causes a significant voltage drop.

59 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Where?

What brand?

I'm very against extensions as the additional connectors and added length of wire adds a lot of resistance and causes a significant voltage drop.

Anywhere. On eBay a 24pin cable is 20 quid an extension is a tenner. Pcie cable is 15 extension is a fiver.

Just now, The Torrent said:

Anywhere. On eBay a 24pin cable is 20 quid an extension is a tenner. Pcie cable is 15 extension is a fiver.

Significant voltage from from an extra 20cm or so? How much is significant? Can you source?

9 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

Significant voltage from from an extra 20cm or so? How much is significant? Can you source?

IIRC he's the head of Corsair's PSU division, he is the source. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Links?

If it's eBay, you're not comparing apples to apples.  Your comparing random resellers with random products.

7 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

IIRC he's the head of Corsair's PSU division, he is the source. 

Gotta be something written somewhere tho still

6 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Links?

If it's eBay, you're not comparing apples to apples.  Your comparing random resellers with random products.

attached some photos.

dont understand your apples to apples point. Wires of copper and plastic are still wires of plastic whether sold on eBay or amazon.

EF0A2EA0-E1EE-4B51-ACE1-F5FEC8FD1249.png

5FF734D4-8E5E-4377-BE49-55FDA944D976.png

06AB4126-C8A1-4E39-B289-C18CD606D15D.png

8 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Where?

What brand?

Tried to send dm but I see ur not receiving. As ur Corsair rep whatnot I’m wondering if you can help.

so I got a Corsair rm750x,

firstly when the pc is shut down there’s a high pitched noise. Is this normal?

second I’m pretty sure but I need to check, as my pc is pretty loud I have a post about it it might be aio punp but I’m thinking it might be psu can spinning but I can’t really see it so I’ll have to take it out one day. But could this be a problem at idle? Like is it possible for the fan to be spinning or would I we wasting my time taking my psu out if it’s not possible for the fan to spin at low loads.

also I used to, it’s been a few weeks now, get all 5v devices on my pc internal usb and external reset, it stopped now thank god but could that be a psu issue or mobo? Power would stay on but I would like get the usb disconnect noises and internal rgb would flash.

Thanks

1 hour ago, The Torrent said:

Tried to send dm but I see ur not receiving.

Yeah.  Because forums aren't for DMs.

so I got a Corsair rm750x,

firstly when the pc is shut down there’s a high pitched noise. Is this normal?

Probably PFC choke.

second I’m pretty sure but I need to check, as my pc is pretty loud I have a post about it it might be aio punp but I’m thinking it might be psu can spinning but I can’t really see it so I’ll have to take it out one day. But could this be a problem at idle? Like is it possible for the fan to be spinning or would I we wasting my time taking my psu out if it’s not possible for the fan to spin at low loads.

also I used to, it’s been a few weeks now, get all 5v devices on my pc internal usb and external reset, it stopped now thank god but could that be a psu issue or mobo? Power would stay on but I would like get the usb disconnect noises and internal rgb would flash.

I need that in English.

dont understand your apples to apples point. Wires of copper and plastic are still wires of plastic whether sold on eBay or amazon.

If that's really what you think then I don't have time to sort it out for you.

Wires have different gauges.  Insulation and connectors have different insulation properties, flammability properties, hard or soft plastic with different melting points, connector pins have different connectivity properties, some with more added resistance than others.

I mean, if you don't even understand the basic principle that adding additional wires and connectors increases resistance and decreases voltage (it's called "Ohm's Law") then I don't even know where to start.

And since an extension only extends the power pins and not the sense pins, then the PSU can't even read the voltage at the load to try to compensate for the drop.

I mean.. You're complaining about "a fiver" versus "15 or 20 quid", but if you're really concerned with the aesthetics of your build, that little amount of money shouldn't bother you.  Sounds like you're just trying to "build something nice on the cheap", which, if you've ever seen the venn diagram of "cheap", "quality", "performance", you know the three circles never intersect.

Good luck.

Gotta be something written somewhere tho still

Gotta be?  No.  Because I'm not here representing any company. 

15 hours ago, The Torrent said:

A cable is like 20 quid an extension is a fiver.

I apologize for the way certain members have spoken to you. However, it is worth the money to get a proper quality cable. You don't want to mess with things that require precision. On top of that, Cable Mod just makes really good quality stuff.

Saving a few bucks isn't worth risking your entire build.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

On 10/30/2019 at 11:37 PM, Spotty said:

The heat shrink is covering the in-line capacitors used on those cables.

they should just put those back to the pcb...

its very spacious in the psu case!!

8 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I apologize for the way certain members have spoken to you. However, it is worth the money to get a proper quality cable. You don't want to mess with things that require precision. On top of that, Cable Mod just makes really good quality stuff.

Saving a few bucks isn't worth risking your entire build.

Ok thanks I look into uk cable mod counterparts. Might just invest some cash then.

8 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

they should just put those back to the pcb...

its very spacious in the psu case!!

Exactly what I was thinking then it would work on separate cables too but I’m guessing they did this so 1) people buy Corsair branded cables hence more money for Corsair b) probably something about distance from the component as the wires are causing voltage fluctuations I’m sure someone here will comment on.

Gotta be?  No.  Because I'm not here representing any company. 

If your not here representing Corsair, then I can’t ‘take your word for it’ that there’s gonna be voltage drops, ofc I know but how significant. could test it myself but I’m asking you if there’s a webpage with a full test and source somewhere. 

Yeah.  Because forums aren't for DMs.

Probably PFC choke.

I need that in English.

Pfc choke - normal electronic thing or rma?

forget the rest if it’s not english.

If your not here representing Corsair, then I can’t ‘take your word for it’ that there’s gonna be voltage drops, ofc I know but how significant. could test it myself but I’m asking you if there’s a webpage with a full test and source somewhere. 

http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/category/reviews/power-supplies/

He has a very well regarded reputation around here for a good reason.

On 11/1/2019 at 4:29 AM, The Torrent said:

It's just common sense if you understand Ohm's law. If you don't understand Ohm's law, you should read up on it.

21 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

It's just common sense if you understand Ohm's law. If you don't understand Ohm's law, you should read up on it.

Im asking how much. 

Hobbyist Electronic Engineer don't leave out the jargon.

If you got sources and numbers thats what im looking for.