What do you use and do to clean the dust?

TheTwist

I usually use a can of compressed air to knock down the thicker dust and tissues with isopropyl alcohol on them for cleaning stuff like GPU backplates and contacts on RAM sticks and PCIe connectors.

I also have a small air pump that I use when I don't have a can of compressed air on hand. I don't buy compressed air normally, since most places charge $5/can or more for it while Micro Center charges around $2/can.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

8 hours ago, TheTwist said:

I'm interested in what everybody does when they clean the dust out of their computer. 

Do you use a:

-  compressed air can

-  compressed machine 

-  vacuum 

or do you use something else?

I havent had my pc long enough to need to use compressed air or a vaccum yet, but a microfiber cloth does the job for now.

Got one of those leaf blowers you know ?

E4AAF44B-4925-48F7-AA88-C771BB3DF998.jpeg

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 hour ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Got one of those leaf blowers you know ?

E4AAF44B-4925-48F7-AA88-C771BB3DF998.jpeg

As you blow away the dust, I think a few components will fly away.

When I worked for a tech repair company the most satisfying thing was pulling the side panel off a computer that hadn't been cleaned for years and going ham with a data vac. 

Unplug the thing completely, put it on a table, get a can of air and blow it out.  I’m a fan of positive pressure and filters so I’ve only had to do it once fairly recently, and only then because the cover got left off for a couple months in a cat containing household.  On a z97 machine that’s been running nearly continuously since I built it.  If the cover hadn’t been left off it would probably not have needed to be done.

i suppose method has more to do with how many machines and how much dust accumulates.  A specialty device would be totally wasted on me so canned air.

my filters are possibly overkill.  I use the stage 1 filter covers for Honeywell circular air filters.  More or less the same stuff that is used in aquarium filters.  Comes in a big sheet and it’s the same black as my machines.  I put stick on Velcro strips on the machines and just stuck it on the outside.  Not super pretty but it works good.  I vacuumed the filters occasionally when I was cleaning.  Which wasn’t very often (I’m a slob) They would make big tan disks over where the fans were.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

Compressed air cans should be banned.

Electric duster is amazing, the cheap one I got from amazon does an amazing job and lasted me years.

I will never use cans again.

There is an ecological argument for that.  Used to be a chemical dependency one too but iirc that got fixed.  The ecological one applies to all aerosol cans though and really there are bigger ecological problems that need front line help atm IMHO.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 hours ago, TheTwist said:

Do you use a: - compressed air can - compressed machine - vacuum or do you use something else?

dust1.png.jpg.5edc146becd046195ab7d9f3bb87d272.jpg

Hits $3.00 to $4.00 at Walmart all the time. Works like a charm. I dust out my PC every 3-6 months. You'll know when just by looking through side glass with flashlight. One can usually lasts an entire year. Takes around 5-10 minutes tops to dust out my PC. I keep a log of every time I do it in a notepad on my PC. Mostly because I used to have to oil one of my case fans every 1-2 months. I replaced it since then so now I usually dust out my PC just 2-3 times a year.

I've used a vacuum before, they work really well. Just don't get so close because they're usually pretty powerful.

5 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Why everyone has compressed air?

"Hits $3.00 to $4.00 at Walmart all the time. Works like a charm. One can usually lasts an entire year."

5 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

what else can it do..?

• Prolongs equipment life.
  • Powerful, yet calm sprays.
  • Specially formulated to remove lint, dust, metallic oxide deposits, microscopic contaminants and other soils.
  • Safe for dusting laptops, keyboards, TVs, PCs, phones and printers.
  • Will not leave any messy residue.
  • Moisture-free to eliminate damage.
  • Includes an extension tube for pinpoint cleaning.

9 hours ago, DarkShame2 said:

A vaccum cleaner, i guess. As long you disconnect the power and such.

Vacuums create static charge. Not a good idea. That is why blowers are preferred. They are not required to get close or touch electronics to do their job. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

10 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

Compressed air cans should be banned.

Electric duster is amazing, the cheap one I got from amazon does an amazing job and lasted me years.

I will never use cans again.

I agree. Please post the model. May be useful for all those compressed air Johns.

After using an electric duster, I will never use compressed air again. It just works 100 times better and is alot faster. I payed $100 for mine, and it has lasted me +5 years and works just as fine as when I got it. If you think it's too expensive, then start cleaning peoples PC's for $$

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

22 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

I agree. Please post the model. 

It’s been posted before, both the models above have good reps.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

IT duster, q-tips, with isopropyl if needed ,  dry microfiber cloth, damp microfiber cloth for certain parts - because I like to live dangerous - no, really because I know water does not harm a PC as long there's no current running. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity