What do you use and do to clean the dust?

TheTwist

I'm interested in what everybody does when they clean the dust out of their computer. 

Do you use a:

-  compressed air can

-  compressed machine 

-  vacuum 

or do you use something else?

Just now, TheTwist said:

I'm interested in what everybody does when they clean the dust out of their computer. 

Do you use:

-a compressed air can

This.  Or this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0787KXTFW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

I got myself one of those electric dusters last month. It does the job quite well and has lots of blowing power.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I don't clean my PC often and don't really need it for other electronic repair, so a can of air works fine for me.

For some of the non-electronic components of my PC (i.e. dust filters) I do use a vacuum cleaner, but I don't recommend it for PC components cleanup (due to static buildup).

Some brushes can work wonders too, especially for fans or heatsinks with some dust sticking to it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

A brush, cloth and MetroVac DataVac ESD Safe Electric Duster ED-500ESD.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

I use vacuum cleaner for the filters and exterior, suitcase sized compressor for interior. Usually twice a year, spring and autumn when it's warm enough to blow dust out of the case outside.

I take off the side panel, strap the PC to the wing of my plane (open side facing forward of course) and then go on a little trip.  By the time I land, all the dust is gone.

Only had one PC fall down mid-flight, but that was in the middle of a barrel roll. As long as you don't do stunts, it should be fine.

But mostly I rely on a little compressor without reservoir.  It's noisy as hell, but fortunately I have windowless cases so I only have to clean out the PCs once every year or so. 

https://www.amazon.com/Metro-DataVac-500-Watt-0-75-HP-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW

I use this. Cans of air are expensive, leave behind a residue denatonium benzoate (world's most bitter compound and anti-huffing agent), and loose pressure as they cool. Great for short quick work, but cleaning a computer they are not ideal. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

ED500

spacer.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

I don't clean it, I let all the dust inside, and then it gets so hot, it becomes like ovens with the Self Cleaning feature, especially if you have a hot GPU, helps a lot.

But seriously, the only time I use the vacuum is to clean the front air filter of the case (assuming it is easy to access) when needed when I vacuum my place.

The inside of the case I use compressed can. I would get those electric dusters, but I do this once a year... so not worth it. I used the ED500 in my past job, was amazing. The reason why I don't get it, is that in Canada, I remember electric air duster used to be around 50$, and now it is 100$+... so I cannot justify the purchase, especially that I'll be using it rarely.

Vacuum to clean air filters on the case and a good ol' air compressor for the components.

On the rare occasion I have to blow out a laptop fan intake I just use a can of compressed air. 

compressed air for the motherboard and fans, cloth for the flat surfaces

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x  (evga 240 AIO cooling)
PBO Settings:
Boost Override CPU: +200
CO: -17 all core
PPT: 140
TDC:  110
EDC: 150
Scalar: Auto

Mobo: Asrock x570 steel legend wifi ax

GPU: asrock challenger 7800xt 16 gb

Ram: 32 gb @3600 mhz

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Storage: 1tb Samsung 860 ssd, 1tb nvme, 2tb Hitachi HDD, 3tb HDD for media

Display: Samsung 27" CHG70 1440p QLED Monitor

Cheap paint brushes, cotton swabs, canned air, and an air compressor, depending on what parts are being cleaned.

Some things to be cautious about, mostly revolving around static charge and moisture:

• Before using paint brushes, try brushing them against a large piece of plastic like your TV's housing, then brush it against a grounded object like plumbing pipe. If you get a static discharge, use a different brush. Natural fiber brushes are less likely to do this.
  • Do not hold canned air upside down when cleaning parts. Also, don't try 'supercooling' a component with them this way, unless you are willing to destroy the IC by cracking or shattering it.
  • When using an air compressor, be sure the tank has been drained of condensation first. If you don't know how to drain it, or when it was last drained, don't use it. You can spray a fine mist of moisture deep into your system and components. If you plan to use your compressor for such cleaning regularly, get a line dryer. The more humid it is, the faster your compressor will accumulate moisture. If it is especially dry, static discharge can happen from sustained application of air.
  • If you use a vacuum, the same danger of static discharge applies as for using a compressor in dry conditions.

I use swabs to get into fans and heatsinks without having to remove them. A damp paper towel is what I use on fans or heatsinks that are completely removed from the hardware.

1 minute ago, Genwyn said:

Cheap set of makeup brushes and a dental pick.

As long as there’s no power in the system you can wash most computer parts with warm water and soap, and I do. It’s almost a necessity in my line of work where I’m cleaning a decade of graphite oil off of motherboards sometimes.

What about charges left in caps?

I vacuum what I can as to minimize blowing dust around the room and blow out what I have to with compressed air.

5 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

I take off the side panel, strap the PC to the wing of my plane (open side facing forward of course) and then go on a little trip.  By the time I land, all the dust is gone.

Only had one PC fall down mid-flight, but that was in the middle of a barrel roll. As long as you don't do stunts, it should be fine.

But mostly I rely on a little compressor without reservoir.  It's noisy as hell, but fortunately I have windowless cases so I only have to clean out the PCs once every year or so. 

I usually just look for tornadoes in my area. Usually gets the job done.

A vaccum cleaner, i guess. As long you disconnect the power and such.

50L air compressor on the filters.once every few month 

Cloth and alcohol to flat surfaces. Inside rarely needs cleaning out. 

Honestly, air compressors are seriously handy tools. 

If you're into all that

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

been using a vacuum cleaner for years, and never had a component die because of static.

with the F@H event going on i even cleaned out my main rig with the vacuum while it was under load. even dropped the temps a fair bit while doing so! ?

Compressed air cans should be banned.

Electric duster is amazing, the cheap one I got from amazon does an amazing job and lasted me years.

I will never use cans again.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

On a more humid day (don't do this if you live in a dry place) a good air compressor will successfully transport every single dust particle from your PC to the air in your shop in about 1 and a half seconds. 
Electric vacs and canned air don't have the power to remove as much dust as compressed air can without manual cleaning. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch