4K Video Editing PC on a BUDGET

Thanks to Viewsonic for sponsoring this video! Use offer code LINUS15 to get 15% + Free Shipping off all ViewSonic VP series monitors at http://bit.ly/2qLEy97 (Expires November 25th, 2019)

Want to get into content creation? Unless you’re being ironically retro, you’re working in 4K. We’ll show you what kind of rig you need to get started!

Buy AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU Processor:
On Amazon (Paid Link): https://geni.us/T64Mr
On Newegg (Paid Link): https://lmg.gg/8KVWy

Buy MSI B450-A PRO ATX Motherboard:
On Amazon (Paid Link): https://geni.us/bVhjmiP
On Newegg (Paid Link): https://lmg.gg/8KVWs

Buy G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM:
On Amazon (Paid Link): https://geni.us/FRke
On Newegg (Paid Link): https://lmg.gg/8KVWt

Buy Seagate IronWolf NAS 3 TB Hard Drive:
On Amazon (Paid Link): https://geni.us/gdaGfT
On Newegg (Paid Link): https://lmg.gg/8KVW7

Buy Sabrent Rocket Pro NVME 512 GB Drives:
On Amazon (Paid Link): https://geni.us/9xOPNP
On Newegg (Paid Link): https://lmg.gg/8KVWM

Buy ASUS Geforce GTX 1650 Videocard:
On Amazon (Paid Link): https://geni.us/Sgdc42
On Newegg (Paid Link): https://lmg.gg/8KVpn

Buy Fractal Design Focus G Mid-Tower Case:
On Amazon (Paid Link): https://geni.us/X3rRh
On Newegg (Paid Link): https://lmg.gg/8KVWC

Buy Corsair CXM 650W ATX Power Supply:
On Amazon (Paid Link): https://geni.us/5ytfA
On Newegg (Paid Link): https://lmg.gg/8KVWF

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Nice to see a video that's editor focused.  ?

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Everyone: GTX 1660 Super

Linus:

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

Awesome to see a video on this but I was hoping they'd talk about render times with different processors and pieces of hardware. That's the thing that slows me down the most!

So, this may be a bit of a weird one, but I’ll mainly be using my computer for programming, rebuilding on the fly etc. with huge 1000+ file workspaces, this obviously requires a lot of RAM but would this set up be sufficient? (minus the GPU for now maybe?)

At first I'm like "yay LTT finally build something I find more than reasonable or acceptable" (ignoring how individual deals are better than what was linked), and then I see the GTX 1650. I think even budget 4K editors should get 1660 instead for its better NVENC encoder and extra video memory, but at $130 the 1650 is cheap enough comparing to the $200+ 1660 so I understand.

Then there's the "if we really need to save a buck, we would start with a reasonably priced SSD like this NVMe 500GB Samsung 970 Evo". There's nothing saving a buck about buying a Samsung drive. Even their 860 Evo 500GB is more expensive than the Sabrent Rocket or HP EX920 or Adata SX8200 Pro, all 3 are proper TLC PCIe 3.0 x4 drives competiting with the even more expensive 970 Evo. This is just stupid. If you're gonna argue with reliability, I'd honestly rather replace the SSD more often, competiting SSDs still last longer per dollar.

"Even though we arent likely to be thermally constrained with these kind of specs, we're not looking for the bottom of the barrel either... and decent airflow without breaking the bank." The Focus G only comes with 2 intake fans, is it really expensive to add a $7 exhuast fan?

Rant over, at least this time the PSU isn't a ticking time bomb

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

42 minutes ago, SkyHound0202 said:

Everyone: GTX 1660 Super

Linus:

This video was likely produced two weeks ago, and scripted long before then. The 1660 Super just got announced today.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

650w for a 65w tdp cpu and 75w tdp gpu? Whut?

Why not opting for 2x16GB RAM-s?

Would not a 1TB SSD like Corsair MP510 or Patriot VPN100 would have been a better solution? 

And where is the CPU cooler ? ? 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

Propably used the stock cooler. @Vejnemojnen 

I also wouldn´t go with a PSU from 2016 tbh. Seasonic Focus GX550W a tad more expensive but is new and has 10 years of warranty. Also i think it´s more silent.

SSD doesn´t need to be a Samsung. PNY XLR8 or the MP510 from Corsair can save a few bucks here.  

23 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Propably used the stock cooler. @Vejnemojnen 

I also wouldn´t go with a PSU from 2016 tbh. Seasonic Focus GX550W a tad more expensive but is new and has 10 years of warranty. Also i think it´s more silent.

SSD doesn´t need to be a Samsung. PNY XLR8 or the MP510 from Corsair can save a few bucks here.  

Stock cooler? For 99celsius temps and fan with the sound of a 4-engine jet passanger, it's fine. Otherwise, piece of junk, which should not be included with the cpu, as it's incapable for the task.  : ) Any 20-25USD cooler will vastly outperform that stealth.

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

@GabenJr mind putting a link to the 4.0 list in the description?

Yeah I totally forgot - Sorry.

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

At first I'm like "yay LTT finally build something I find more than reasonable or acceptable" (ignoring how individual deals are better than what was linked), and then I see the GTX 1650. I think even budget 4K editors should get 1660 instead for its better NVENC encoder and extra video memory, but at $130 the 1650 is cheap enough comparing to the $200+ 1660 so I understand.

Then there's the "if we really need to save a buck, we would start with a reasonably priced SSD like this NVMe 500GB Samsung 970 Evo". There's nothing saving a buck about buying a Samsung drive. Even their 860 Evo 500GB is more expensive than the Sabrent Rocket or HP EX920 or Adata SX8200 Pro, all 3 are proper TLC PCIe 3.0 x4 drives competiting with the even more expensive 970 Evo. This is just stupid. If you're gonna argue with reliability, I'd honestly rather replace the SSD more often, competiting SSDs still last longer per dollar.

"Even though we arent likely to be thermally constrained with these kind of specs, we're not looking for the bottom of the barrel either... and decent airflow without breaking the bank." The Focus G only comes with 2 intake fans, is it really expensive to add a $7 exhuast fan?

Rant over, at least this time the PSU isn't a ticking time bomb

Not sure about the 1660 or NVENC for editing; One of the reasons we didn't go with a 1660 was because it had so much extra headroom that we weren't utilizing, and the 1650 wasn't limited in testing. NVENC doesn't really come up in Adobe Premiere, and come to think of it I don't know if it comes up in any NLE... Useful for transcoding to H.264 or H.265 using Handbrake or something I suppose, but not really for editing or exporting.

The build actually uses a Sabrent Rocket. Linus wanted to use Samsung for reliability, but the build was already done (Sabrent is what's linked in the desc). I think he probably flipped the two in his head with that line, as I don't think he said it exactly as scripted.

As far as the Focus G is concerned, we didn't set it up this way (because again thermals weren't a concern with these parts), but we could have moved the lower intake fan to the rear to achieve pretty much the same result. No need to spend extra on another fan or a case with more fans.

1 hour ago, Vejnemojnen said:

650w for a 65w tdp cpu and 75w tdp gpu? Whut?

Why not opting for 2x16GB RAM-s?

Would not a 1TB SSD like Corsair MP510 or Patriot VPN100 would have been a better solution? 

And where is the CPU cooler ? ? 

The 650W variant of that PSU happens to be one of the more reliable and well-regarded variants, and it's not terribly expensive. We even suggest the 450W non-modular variant to save some money if desired.

2x16GB RAM? Double the price of 2x8GB. That's why. We found 16GB was enough for 4K editing, if a little snug. Same with SSD capacity; Technically 500GB is actually more than enough, so there's little reason to go higher.

Also, I think you underestimate the stock cooler / overestimate the heat output of an R5 3600...

45 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

It's not a PSU from 2016, it's the model introduced in 2016. PSUs get revisions over time and if you see a popular PSU like a Corsair CX with a 2016 and 2019 variant, then that 2016 model was produced right up until the 2019 variant came out.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

48 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

Yeah I totally forgot - Sorry.

Not sure about the 1660 or NVENC for editing; One of the reasons we didn't go with a 1660 was because it had so much extra headroom that we weren't utilizing, and the 1650 wasn't limited in testing. NVENC doesn't really come up in Adobe Premiere, and come to think of it I don't know if it comes up in any NLE... Useful for transcoding to H.264 or H.265 using Handbrake or something I suppose, but not really for editing or exporting.

The build actually uses a Sabrent Rocket. Linus wanted to use Samsung for reliability, but the build was already done (Sabrent is what's linked in the desc). I think he probably flipped the two in his head with that line, as I don't think he said it exactly as scripted.

One of the buyers on amazon noted that his 1TB rocket didn't have the old phison E12 controller, instead looking more like the E8. Might wanna clear things up with sabrent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RENHI35Z35D0M/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07MTQTNVR

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

you should make the nas run samba on ubuntu that is very cost efectve and i think that it would work just fine i have the same kind of setup for my nas and it works very well!

Oh lord why a P300, even NZXT cases have better airlfow.

Also if you aren't using a secondary monitor to play it back in full quality at full screen while editing, you might as well just drop to "draft" quality for the tiny window.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

@GabenJr Perhaps you are right, I was a bit pessimistic, harsh. But I base my opinion on the fact, that every day I come across people who complain, that their wraith stealth&3600 hits above 90degrees in AIDA FPU or more than 95C in Prime95 (? coincidental naming? :) )

Whenever possible, I always encourage people, to get a CHEAP but well performing cooler, ie.: ID Cooling SE-214X (~18 USD locally) or Gammaxx400 from Deepcool (~22 USD). But preferred choices are Alpenfohn Brocken ECO advanced, Brocken3, then the Scythe Mugen5, Enermax ETS T50-Axe, these are not that expensive, but easily get 25degree minus compared to stock Stealth.

And then there is silence. :) 

29 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Perhaps you are right, I was a bit pessimistic, harsh. But I base my opinion on the fact, that every day I come across people who complain, that their wraith stealth&3600 hits above 90degrees in AIDA FPU or more than 95C in Prime95 (? coincidental naming? :) )

Well they're torture tests, designed to stress your CPU and cooler to the limit. The people you're talking to are idiots for complaining.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

anyone have the model number for that monitor? the description nor the forum post actually say what it is lol

wow, do i live on another planet?

i mean okay not every country might have the same hardware choises, prices may vary,

but seriously this system is for me as a german guy whos doing a lot of configurations/builds some kind of a headache... 

Is there no MSI B450 MAX Boards in Canada? Ryzen 3000 out of the box support is real, when did you shoot this video ?

its even listed on newegg canada.. https://www.newegg.ca/msi-b450-a-pro-max/p/N82E16813144268

What kind of SSDs do you guys have there? is there no Kingston A2000, Adata SX8200 or Corsair MP510 ? 

The price/performance ratio of this drives is way better then a 970 Evo...

Why the hell you guys always go so crazy on PSU's ? 650 Watt for what? That system isnt pulling more then 250 watt 

on burn-in load from the wall, on normal usage not even 200 watts...

You wanted to do a budget build, but the only "budget" you guys did is going cheap on CPU Cooler, not even spending

3$ on a exhausting fan for the case and waisting hundrets of dollar for premium/useless components. 

even if i lookup on newegg, i could safe 120$ with cpu cooler, extra fan and dont even loose 1% of performance,

might even GAIN some because of a better cooling...

Picture added how this system could look like in germany... 

722€ aka 800$ including tax. shipping is 5.99...

bb7c91c4c364d346a739544980deff71.png

14 minutes ago, syrokx said:

You wanted to do a budget build, but the only "budget" you guys did is going cheap on CPU Cooler, not even spending

3$ on a exhausting fan for the case and waisting hundrets of dollar for premium/useless components. 

even if i lookup on newegg, i could safe 120$ with cpu cooler, extra fan and dont even loose 1% of performance,

might even GAIN some because of a better cooling...

they didnt do anything wrong in the build outside of some nitpicking regarding the following things:

• sabrent rocket might have done a switcharoo
  • CXM is worse than CX (greylabels)
  • HDD could have maybe been a constellation ES or barracuda compute, tho thats very much nitpicking
  • the new Nvenc would be nice, but not super useful yet.

Is there no MSI B450 MAX Boards in Canada? Ryzen 3000 out of the box support is real, when did you shoot this video ?

unwarranted reeing as the board they chose has bios flashback and also has a max variant. its also the lowest end variant from MSI worth considering and is overall a good board. 

they shot it before PSU tier list 4.0 was a thing. why does it matter, the mobo is perfectly good. 

The price/performance ratio of this drives is way better then a 970 Evo...

its why they mention the sabrent rocket. also known as the mp510 copycat. they even edited in a note in the video regarding that aswell as linking the sabrent drive. while its not great, they did mitigate it. 

@GabenJr Yeah, its on the technical level from then. Tbh i am not really sure how much changed since then. But as it is the PSU i´d rather go with something newer. Also there is a lot better options than that corsair one, be it for the noise or warranty.

i dont think there's a single b450 motherboard out there that doesn't support bios flashback lol i didnt really get that bit of the video

@GabenJr As a video editor who's looking to ditch intel 7700k for an amd rig, why have you guys haven't put a Ryzen 7 2700x? Looking to the article you based your options, it seems really better suited for Premiere Workflows.

Isn't a 1070 for instances a better option for video editing?

17 hours ago, GabenJr said:

2x16GB RAM? Double the price of 2x8GB. That's why. We found 16GB was enough for 4K editing, if a little snug.

16GB for Premiere isn't be terrible, but if you take 16gb of ram into a 4K After Effects Comp to edit, generate previews, adjusting layer positions, different effects, sizes, nests... you're gonna die. I don't know about others' experiences, but I have projects that simply require 12GB in the render farm to load a multi-machine render without crashing.