[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

2 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Yeah, so if nobody knows if the ripple problem is gone on the new Focus.... then why is it in a higher tier than the old one? Because that's what I'm getting at.

you have a point, give me a minute, i'll put both in estimated position for now until i get something back i requested

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

bring me a loadtester and a scope, and i'm happy to show you

problem is that i have neither

Hmm, maybe some PC parts focused franchise would want to go into PSU reviewing ? Like, LMM maybe ... Oh wait, you can't clickbait PSU reviews ...

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

maybe some PC parts focused franchise would want to go into PSU reviewing?

not that i know of at least

so i'll have to continue here for now

sighs 

Spoiler

/s

1 hour ago, OrionFOTL said:

Do you mean the review at Toms Hardware or somewhere else?

Because the review on Tom's Hardware doesn't test ripple at 120% load, where the issue with Focus FX was. Only up to 110%.

The Focus FX were also tested on Tom's Hardware and didn't have any ripple problems either. It's only because PCeva tested it on their equipment at 120%.

I cant find that review in PCeva about the seasonic fx  

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

So the author Mufasa what can anyone tell us about him to trust his reviews and better yet judgement on how to evaluate a psu over Aris who is an electrical engineer with degrees in Computer Science, Telecommunications, and a Ph.D in the field of wireless communications and has worked on the development and testing of countless power supply units in both industrial and media related positions. He is also the lead PSU reviewer for both Tom’s Hardware and TechPowerUp.  

Did someone else replicate the results the pceva review ? he could have defective monitoring hardware or in need for some calibration , these things are expensive to maintain and the PCeva  reviewer didnt even take apart the the PSU because he didnt want to void the warranty , I am just saying from what i can see here that he is an amuater reviewer and in no way can we take his word over Aris 

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

7 hours ago, Mezoxin said:

you have strong consumer laws in the united states

LOL!  No we don't.  No way. Not at all.

4 hours ago, Mezoxin said:

i dont know what happened with the prices of PSU's in the US market but all the products you said with 650w sell for at least 110$ now the bitfenix formula gold is almost nonexistant at US online retailers and its last price was around 119$

It's called "Trump Tariffs".

Prices either went up on new inventory, or non-US based retailers chose to bail on the US market because their Chinese made goods are subject to 25% tariff.

50 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

snip

i feel like a quote from what Aris himself once said to me fits

Spoiler

you should be alarmed if you see someone measuring high and see another one measuring low

so could it be a wrong measure? yes

is it something others didn't test? yes

does that mean I'm likely to change position? not really

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i feel like a quote from what Aris himself once said to me fits

Hide contents

you should be alarmed if you see someone measuring high and see another one measuring low

so could it be a wrong measure? yes

is it something others didn't test? yes

does that mean I'm likely to change position? not really

The Question is who is this person that made the measurements , and why would i trust his measurments , what do you know about his test setup and his testing methodology , his credentials and hreview history , would you personally buy a power supply if Mufasa says its good ?  if no why believe him when he says its bad ,  trusting these unkown reviews for me is like trusting the generic emails that family friends keeps sending me concerning the dangers of a certain sugar substitute. that claim that digesting one packet a day of this sugar substitute could give you cancer and kill you

PC Part Picker

10 hours ago, Mezoxin said:

The Question is who is this person that made the measurements , and why would i trust his measurments , what do you know about his test setup and his testing methodology , his credentials and hreview history , would you personally buy a power supply if Mufasa says its good ?  if no why believe him when he says its bad ,  trusting these unkown reviews for me is like trusting the generic emails that family friends keeps sending me concerning the dangers of a certain sugar substitute. that claim that digesting one packet a day of this sugar substitute could give you cancer and kill you

mufasa is pretty well known domestically in china and internationally in chinese speaking parts of the world like taiwan roc 

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

On 12/18/2019 at 8:38 AM, Shorty Snow said:

Your definition for "single rail" and "multi rail" is kind of wrong... also how did EVGA G3 end up in D tier when the sources you named literally say its a highly efficient and well performing unit?

Failure due to extreme abuse of a product by bypassing its listed capacities, is reason enough to move it down the list. I'd be super upset if my engine failed after shoving a bunch of nitrous oxide in there, even if I did exceed its power output by 30%; That's not a product that can be trusted. The engineers should have done better than rating its output 30% lower than I wanted it to be, what do they know?

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

9 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

mufasa is pretty well known domestically in china and internationally in chinese speaking parts of the world like taiwan roc 

But why doesnt he do a tear down and afraid of voiding the warranty , if he is well known he should have review units sent to him

Can someone link me other reviews he did recently for psu and for the focus or prime platform . I cant search for anything on this site using google translate 

Edit: i was able to find more reviews of him  thank you 

PC Part Picker

here is Mufasa's review for the seasonic GX750 @LukeSavenije

http://bbs.pceva.com.cn/thread-145965-1-1.html

He tested it at full load only and did mention that the OPP is at 900watts same as previous model but made no mention of the ripples at that load 

I think this is the first review of the new corsair CV550w i found one by mufasa  , where would you place it at the tier list based on that review ?

http://bbs.pceva.com.cn/thread-146723-1-1.html

PC Part Picker

56 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

where would you place it at the tier list based on that review 

tier c, because i already have info from Jon what it essentially is

except for the 650w, it's the same HEC platform as the vs, just pushed to 80+ bronze

41 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

On your to do list @LukeSavenije or not yet discovered/mentioned?

on my waiting for reviews list

from what I've heard there should be reviews coming at the end of this year, start of next year. until then i can't see more than internal shots, which suggests it's a downgraded focus

In UK GameMax brand is quite popular , they mostly making cases but recently I start noticing power supplies from them. Just wondering if they are worth anything or is it another garbage 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/J3tKHx/gamemax-gm-500-w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-gm-500g

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

2 minutes ago, Whiro said:

Just wondering if they are worth anything or is it another garbage 

if you got any sources to it, happy to add

so far I've only seen internal shots, suggesting something along the lines of andyson

So I bought a Rosewill ARC 550w for a system that is relativly on the budget side with a ryzen 3 3200g, 8 gb ram and a rx 570. You think im good and will be fine with this psu or should i return and get something else cuz im on a budget so i cant really spend over $50 on one since i bought my pc.

1 hour ago, Vexzyy said:

So I bought a Rosewill ARC 550w for a system that is relativly on the budget side with a ryzen 3 3200g, 8 gb ram and a rx 570. You think im good and will be fine with this psu or should i return and get something else cuz im on a budget so i cant really spend over $50 on one since i bought my pc.

Nobody knows because nobody tested it.

1 hour ago, Vexzyy said:

You think im good and will be fine with this psu or should i return and get something else cuz im on a budget so i cant really spend over $50 on one since i bought my pc.

the weird thing is that the ATNG ATM-B lists no uvp in the datasheet itself, but does on their page.  

but knowing that JG at the time destroyed a ZX500, which is to my knowledge the same internally makes me a bit... skeptical

2 hours ago, Vexzyy said:

I mean, if you're in US, there are Corsair CX450 for similar price at least.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply