[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

EVGA sending me a G3 850w will let y'all know if that helps.

Can someone explain me why the superflower leadex gold II was put under the minor issues tab? A couple of months ago it was the leadex gold III the one there and now its the II model? I want to buy a rtx 3070 and thinking of selling my leadex gold II 650w if there are issues and its not a good psu

51 minutes ago, SuperFlower said:

Can someone explain me why the superflower leadex gold II was put under the minor issues tab? A couple of months ago it was the leadex gold III the one there and now its the II model? I want to buy a rtx 3070 and thinking of selling my leadex gold II 650w if there are issues and its not a good psu

can't reach full capacity under a low input voltage, nothing too worrying, but worth putting it there for

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

can't reach full capacity under a low input voltage, nothing too worrying, but worth putting it there for

Or rather, it's rated for full capacity only on 230V input, it's rated for -100W otherwise. No idea what would happen if you'll load it to 650W with 100-120V input tho as i imagine OPP limits are set to the same point regardless of input voltage. It has somewhat weaker boost diode than Leadex III for the same wattage, on 750W models at least we have public access to components breakdowns for, CREE 600V 6A @ 154°C on Leadex II 750W vs STMicroelectronics 600V 8A @ 130°C for Leadex III even 550W. So maybe it's the same situation as with CWT GPX where it (boost diode) will just fail when stressed too high, in the load envelope not intended for this model although, in contrast with Deepcool DQ-M-V2L where there are no derating.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

I can confirm NZXT C850 works fine with RTX 3080 FE, doesn't have any problem, previous PSU was a EVGA 750w GA and the system was shutting down when playing 4k games.

9 hours ago, novaforcex said:

I can confirm NZXT C850 works fine with RTX 3080 FE, doesn't have any problem, previous PSU was a EVGA 750w GA and the system was shutting down when playing 4k games.

Can also confirm. Got my 3080FE yesterday and had no issues with the C850.

According to Aris from Tom's H. NZXT C850 it's identical to Seasonic Focus GX-850, so I assume GX-850 should also work fine? I'm planning on buying one.

13 minutes ago, Krypton82 said:

According to Aris from Tom's H. NZXT C850 it's identical to Seasonic Focus GX-850, so I assume GX-850 should also work fine? I'm planning on buying one.

Yep.

@LukeSavenije  @Juular  I don't understand much about what you said but does that mean my psu is faulty from the factory? Should I replace it with leadex III or seasonic? Will I have any issues with a rtx 3070 or 3080 at 1440p144hz? 

If it matters, I'm using it in europe with an eurpean plug

41 minutes ago, SuperFlower said:

I don't understand much about what you said but does that mean my psu is faulty from the factory?

No, that means that if your mains voltage is not 220-230V then it's not 650W but 550W PSU.

So is that a problem only for american plugs? I know that in america there is 110-115V as standard. Does this affect me if I'm in europe using the standard european plug?

54 minutes ago, SuperFlower said:

Does this affect me if I'm in europe using the standard european plug?

No if your electricity is stable 220V.

Hey this relatively cheap CV450 from corsair looks decent. What rank does it belong to?

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

25 minutes ago, IAEInferno said:

Hey this relatively cheap CV450 from corsair looks decent. What rank does it belong to?

Tier D

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

Is it worth choosing a RM750X over a RM850? I'm asking in terms of build quality because I read that the RM850(2019) utilizes a Hong Hua fan and non-Japanese capacitors.

Should I bother getting an RM850 or just wait a month or two till the RM750X is back in stock?

1 hour ago, ZeRedz said:

I read that the RM850(2019) utilizes a Hong Hua fan and non-Japanese capacitors.

RMx uses Hong Hua as well. RMx will be more quiet, but less efficient at lower loads. the rest comes down to pricing and use. 

4 hours ago, ZeRedz said:

Hong Hua fan

Hong Hua fans are pretty great.

OEM Fan Suppliers =/= Consumer Fan Suppliers (like Noctua).

Only PSU Brand I know to use consumer fans is be quiet!, and they use their own fans.

There might be others though.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Hi where would the Gigabyte GP-B700H PSU fall?

And any way to identify  Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro Chinese version?

Thanks

12 minutes ago, xuqu said:

Hi where would the Gigabyte GP-B700H PSU fall?

And any way to identify  Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro Chinese version?

Thanks

B700H is just BH in the tier list (with most PSU, just remove the wattage number and you have to model), and it's Tier D

As for the Antec EAG Pro, an easy way is to see how much wattage the +12V can deliver on the sticker. See how in the first pic, the +12V wattage is close to the total wattage in the Seasonic version, while in the FSP (Chinese) version, it's only rated for 600w for the 650w version compared to the Seasonic's 648w

17-371-104-Z06.jpg

06181902421928462651.jpg

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

34 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Only PSU Brand I know to use consumer fans is be quiet!, and they use their own fans.

Corsair, Cooler Master, also do.

35 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Hong Hua fans are pretty great.

Unfortunately the Hong Huas used in PSUs are known to have a constant ticking sound.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

4 minutes ago, Elisis said:

Unfortunately the Hong Huas used in PSUs are known to have a constant ticking sound.

Not all of them.  Usually just the ones that Seasonic uses.  The Hong Hua in the Corsair does not click at low RPM.  It uses a completely different driver IC than the others.

2 minutes ago, Elisis said:

Interesting.

57 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Not all of them.  Usually just the ones that Seasonic uses.  The Hong Hua in the Corsair does not click at low RPM.  It uses a completely different driver IC than the others.

Very interesting. Is there any model of PSU that's a "worst offender" here?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

35 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Interesting.

Very interesting. Is there any model of PSU that's a "worst offender" here?

Unfortunately, no reviewers actually tear down the fans.   They assume that any fan with the same part number is the same fan, but more often than not the fan manufacturer uses the same part number so they can leverage UL, TÜV, etc. safety certifications.

18 minutes ago, JerryPoste said:

What's the difference between the CM and non CM version of the be quiet Pure Power 11?

modularity, the CM version is semi-modular