[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

1 hour ago, JerryPoste said:

So apart from that both of them have the same quality?

yep

The methodology behind Tier A is flawed. No one should be running a PSU at more then 100% in any case so ripple measurement should be on 100% or less only.

On 10/19/2020 at 4:38 PM, LukeSavenije said:

there are no (claimed) differences between the old and new Prime lines so... that might explain it

On 10/19/2020 at 5:43 PM, PacGlo said:

@LukeSavenije

Thanks for the response. This whole OneSeasonic thing is pretty confusing. Please let me know if I have this correct, as I just did a bit more reading...

• Seasonic PRIME and Seasonic FOCUS lines both existed.
  • (Via this thread, August 2019) In 2018, the Seasonic FOCUS line got a quiet refresh in 2018 due to the issues mentioned within. [Side note- the thread references "the new Focus GM, GX, PX and SGX lines (it meets 2.52 atx, which require hardware changes)" which was somewhat ambiguous to me at first, i.e. do all of the new Focus PSUs meet ATX v2.52 or only the SGX? I am 99% sure now that the answer is "only the SGX".]
  • In 2019, both FOCUS and PRIME lines received rebranding and slight refreshes. As put by a Seasonic rep referencing the OneSeasonic PRIME line in this thread on the JonnyGURU forums: "when we updated the PSU's back panel with added filters, we then removed the inline capacitors from the cable harness."
  • Notably, the refreshes were not very substantial e.g. both lines are not built to ATX v2.52 spec. This is in spite of some lingering misinformation from forums such as here (July 2019) which states that the FOCUS refresh will be ATX v2.52 compatible.

As one last point of clarification: do you know for which ATX version the current FOCUS and PRIME lines are built? I assumed it was v2.4 given that various Seasonic OEM PSUs state so, but I could not find a clear answer anywhere on Seasonic's own websites and communications, only a vague "Intel ATX 12 V."

P.S. Sorry for the bombardment of likely stupid or superfluous questions, as I've been knee-deep in PSU info trying to make a purchase decision through the shortage, and seeing conflicting and unclear info only makes it worse lol.

One thing I can tell you is that, compared to the Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum (1000W), as reviewed here https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-prime-ultra-platinum-1000w-psu,5397.html

The Seasonic Prime PX-1000 (OneSeasonic) has 6 PCIE cables, instead of 4, and all of the PCIE cables are single 8 pin (6+2) only.  There are no split connectors anymore (one cable into two 8 pins).  There are also two additional PCIE connectors on the back panel, now matching the configuration the Prime Ultra Titanium had, when the previous Prime Platinum had two fewer PCIE connectors on the back.

This PSU works perfectly with an overclocked RTX 3090, and great with the Seasonic 12 pin cable.  We'll see if the PSU can keep up after I shunt mod this thing for 550W.

Hello, I got confused with interpreting the Seasonic GX PSU tier.

I'm not sure if the SEASONIC Focus Gold GX-750 (White) Power Supply Unit SSR-750FX-White (FOCUS-GX-750) is on Tier A or B. Anyone here that can make things easier for me would be appreciated.

image.thumb.png.3da03796899705ca05da76abafac5cc4.png

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

23 minutes ago, IAEInferno said:

Hello, I got confused with interpreting the Seasonic GX PSU tier.

I'm not sure if the SEASONIC Focus Gold GX-750 (White) Power Supply Unit SSR-750FX-White (FOCUS-GX-750) is on Tier A or B. Anyone here that can make things easier for me would be appreciated.

The Focus GX is Tier A. The Tier B is the Core series.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

13 minutes ago, OManjo said:

Which 600+w PSU is a good choice for $80?

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

But since I'm here with a comment anyway, the bequiet! Pure Power 11 600w if you are from the US.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

Can anyone confirm if DQ750-M-V2L model of Deepcool falls under Tier A? Thanks

33 minutes ago, xuqu said:

Can anyone confirm if DQ750-M-V2L model of Deepcool falls under Tier A? Thanks

Yeah, it's there, tier C

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

Where does the Aerocool Cylon RGB place? I couldnt see it.

ah, i see tht the op meant cyclon, not cylon

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Where does the Aerocool Cylon RGB place? I couldnt see it.

Tier D?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

1 minute ago, Elisis said:

Tier D?

sorry, the op of the post that im helping put cylon, not cyclon.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

On 10/11/2020 at 8:02 PM, Energycore said:

@LukeSavenije

Any dirt on this unit?

http://www.rampage.com.tr/en/product/rampage-rmp-700-80p-700w-80-plus-12cm-fan-active-pfc-power-supply

A user bought it thinking it'd solve their random reboot problems using a Xigmatek X-Power 500W. It didn't, but all info about this PSU is in Turkish so it's hard to track it down.

Here's a load test that doesn't help much

On 10/11/2020 at 8:56 PM, jonnyGURU said:

https://www.segment.com.tr/tr/urun/rampage-rmp-700-80p-700w-80-plus-12cm-fan-aktif-pfc-power-supply

Double forward, group regulated, minimum input voltage of 180V. 

Pretty much the same garbage as his Xigmatek, only slightly more efficient.

Greetings, I'm from Turkey. This PSU is much cheap in our country and there isn't any review or teardown for this PSU. But I guess this PSU low-quality. (group regulation, protections, component) What do you think about this product? 

5 hours ago, Gamuniter said:

What do you think about this product? 

That it's low quality, lol.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

On 10/25/2020 at 9:59 PM, LukeSavenije said:

RMx uses Hong Hua as well. RMx will be more quiet, but less efficient at lower loads. the rest comes down to pricing and use. 

Is the RM850(2019) worth getting over the RM750X even though the RM850 uses non-Japanese capacitors?

10 hours ago, Gamuniter said:

Greetings, I'm from Turkey. This PSU is much cheap in our country and there isn't any review or teardown for this PSU. But I guess this PSU low-quality. (group regulation, protections, component) What do you think about this product? 

I noticed that it was a Turkey only unit.

Don't buy it for anything worth protecting xD

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

19 minutes ago, ZeRedz said:

Is the RM850(2019) worth getting over the RM750X even though the RM850 uses non-Japanese capacitors?

Do you NEED the extra 100W?

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

Do you NEED the extra 100W?

It's not a matter of me needing it the extra wattage. Problem is, the only RM power supply they have currently is the RM850. For an authorized reseller, they sure have little variety. I don't reside in NA or EU so variety's a problem for me.

Should I just get the RM850 or should I wait and see if they ever bring the RM750X back in stock?

20 minutes ago, ZeRedz said:

It's not a matter of me needing it the extra wattage. Problem is, the only RM power supply they have currently is the RM850. For an authorized reseller, they sure have little variety. I don't reside in NA or EU so variety's a problem for me.

Should I just get the RM850 or should I wait and see if they ever bring the RM750X back in stock?

Ok.  You didn't say the RM750x wasn't available.  You just asked if the RM850 was worth it for the same price.

The RM (non-x) is fine.  Japanese capacitors are marketing and the Hong Hua fan used in the RM uses the MLX 90287 driver IC so it's just as quiet as the Corsair fan.

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ok.  You didn't say the RM750x wasn't available.  You just asked if the RM850 was worth it for the same price.

The RM (non-x) is fine.  Japanese capacitors are marketing and the Hong Hua fan used in the RM uses the MLX 90287 driver IC so it's just as quiet as the Corsair fan.

I should've said the RM750x wasn't available. Heh.

If you don't mind me asking, are Japanese capacitors truly the best in the market?

The OP and the spreadsheet disagree on whether Antec Earthwatts D Green and non-D Green are in tier C or D. Could someone fix it and tell which one is correct?

30 minutes ago, ZeRedz said:

I should've said the RM750x wasn't available. Heh.

If you don't mind me asking, are Japanese capacitors truly the best in the market?

Not necessarily.  Like I said, it's just marketing.  The "Japanese" capacitors you see in Chinese made products are typically made in China by the same factories that make the "non-Japanese brand" capacitors.  It's a supply chain thing.

In fact (on a related note), Hitachi capacitors are no longer Hitachi branded as the Chinese factory has completely taken over that division of the company:  https://english.nna.jp/articles/4820

26 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

In fact (on a related note), Hitachi capacitors are no longer Hitachi branded as the Chinese factory has completely taken over that division of the company:  https://english.nna.jp/articles/4820

So I suppose some of the OEMS might be using something else then in the future?

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

4 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

So I suppose some of the OEMS might be using something else then in the future?

If I "have to use" "Japanese branded" caps, I might not use them.  I think it's only the DIY PC industry that really emphasizes "Japanese capacitors" as a marketing bullet point these days.  Even Apple has been using nothing but Chinese brand capacitors for ages and nobody seems to notice/care.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

If I "have to use" "Japanese branded" caps, I might not use them.  I think it's only the DIY PC industry that really emphasizes "Japanese capacitors" as a marketing bullet point these days.  Even Apple has been using nothing but Chinese brand capacitors for ages and nobody seems to notice/care.

Yeah, how true.

But if the quality drops on them..