[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

Hello, lol I created an account just to ask this.

Who do I contact for possible changed to the list. The OP?

I see a PSU on the list on top tier. I followed this list last year to get the PSU and had a bad experience with it. So maybe it shouldn't be top tier anymore...idk lol. I just want to let the list owners know about the experience.

11 minutes ago, Thievian said:

we as a team read everything here, so we just reply whenever we can

12 minutes ago, Thievian said:

So maybe it shouldn't be top tier anymore

problem is... with the nature of "lemons" and such, we can't base our list just off one failed unit for a user, unless it's shown that it's a wider spread issue (for example a design oversight) or it's something that could affect multiple users (for example a GPU transient shutdown happening for a couple users with a specific unit where wattage isn't the issues). So it's not a bad thing you comment for, but not much we can do with it either unless it's more specific

1 hour ago, Thievian said:

Hello, lol I created an account just to ask this.

I see a PSU on the list on top tier. I followed this list last year to get the PSU and had a bad experience with it. So maybe it shouldn't be top tier anymore...idk lol. I just want to let the list owners know about the experience.

Even the best PSUs have a 1% failure rate.  When you sell 100K a month (which is not an unreasonable global quantity), that equates to 1000 bad units.

3 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Even the best PSUs have a 1% failure rate.  When you sell 100K a month (which is not an unreasonable global quantity), that equates to 1000 bad units.

Nothing that is made by man is perfect. :)

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

Do multi rail PSU's like the Straight Power 11 650W work with Vega56/64?

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

we as a team read everything here, so we just reply whenever we can

problem is... with the nature of "lemons" and such, we can't base our list just off one failed unit for a user, unless it's shown that it's a wider spread issue (for example a design oversight) or it's something that could affect multiple users (for example a GPU transient shutdown happening for a couple users with a specific unit where wattage isn't the issues). So it's not a bad thing you comment for, but not much we can do with it either unless it's more specific

Gotcha, I understand. I just had no idea what considerations you all take into constructing/editing the list.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ah yeah that makes sense.

===========================

So I’ll say that last year I got a Corsair Vengeance Silver 750W PSU. I installed it inside an old dell OptiPlex build I was using for gaming. It wasn’t powering much, just an aging 3770 i7 cpu system, some storage drives and a gtx1060.

I think within the first few weeks of using it, only a portion of the house I was in lost electricity for some moments. I didn’t recall ever seeing that happen before, and I still dont now. The PC was connected to a power strip (non surge protector) in that portion in the house. I tried to turn it back on but It would never do so, so I started the RMA process. I remember that I confirmed for myself that at very least the HDD and motherboard were definitely damaged by it.

The RMA process itself was fine and I was well reimbursed for all the items I listed for it. Today, I just randomly remembered this happened and thought that I should state it here for informational purposes, even though that happened last year.

11 minutes ago, Ralf said:

Do multi rail PSU's like the Straight Power 11 650W work with Vega56/64?

as long as you utilize multiple VGA rails, it should  be fine

3 minutes ago, Thievian said:

Gotcha, I understand. I just had no idea what considerations you all take into constructing/editing the list

we actually keep a whole methodology behind it, which you can find back in the spreadsheet, in case you're curious

I'm gonna begin by saying I apologize if this has been asked many times before but I can't find a lot of details, even in the spreadsheet, about the SilentiumPC Supremo FM2. I've read all the posts about it and hopefully someone can help me. 

• There aren't many details about it in the spreadsheet, apart from some review links from Poland.
  • It doesn't have OTP. Someone commented that all A-tier PSU's have OTP, otherwise they wouldn't be A-tier, but this one doesn't. Their site's official documentation confirms it. The company however commented that: "OTP is thermal protection, which Supremo indeed doesn't have, but this function is realized by other protections (power characteristic changes with too high temperature). Problem you could encounter is that PSU will turn off faster because of not proper voltages before OTP would turn off PSU because of temperature. It depends on protection calibration."

I'm been running on a Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze 620W for 3 years now and have had 0 issues, but I will definitely upgrade when the 3070 gets here because this PSU is apparently dangerous.

Is the SilentiumPC FM2 good for a ryzen 3600 with a 3070/6800(depending on which one gets delivered first)? Thanks!!

Hi, this is my first post in this forum, so pardon me:

@LukeSavenije

I'm not sure why the Steampunk Gold is a Tier B unit, especially the reviews are not that stellar:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/1st-player-steampunk-ps-750sp-750-w/

Low quality (ChengX and Asia'X) secondary caps and fans, and that alone is enough to downgrade this unit from Tier B to Tier C IMHO 

3 hours ago, AktD said:

It doesn't have OTP

They're said on the contrary when we contacted them.

3 hours ago, AktD said:

Is the SilentiumPC FM2 good for a ryzen 3600 with a 3070/6800(depending on which one gets delivered first)? Thanks!!

We don't know, there were some reports about their susceptibility to tripping with high transient power draw GPUs and there are no data on this for RX6800 yet, it's probably fine for RTX3070 tho if you really can't get something more robust.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

They're said on the contrary when we contacted them.

We don't know, there were some reports about their susceptibility to tripping with high transient power draw GPUs and there are no data on this for RX6800 yet, it's probably fine for RTX3070 tho if you really can't get something more robust.

Is the power draw different from AMD to Nvidia in terms of exactly how they get the power? I'm asking because SelentiumPC recommend the 750W variant on their youtube channel for the 3080 which draws more power than the 6800/3070. 

There really isn't anything close to the Supremo FM2 when it comes to pricing. The closest Corsair/Seasonic A-tier is 70$ more. There are some B and C tier variants at this price. I could maybe get an ADATA XPG CORE REACTOR 750W. It's 35$ more. Is that worth the extra 35? I don't see many people recommending that specific model around here.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, AktD said:

There really isn't anything close to the Supremo FM2 when it comes to pricing. The closest Corsair/Seasonic A-tier is 70$ more. There are some B and C tier variants at this price. I could maybe get an ADATA XPG CORE REACTOR 750W. It's 35$ more. Is that worth the extra 35? I don't see many people recommending that specific model around here.

No Bitfenix either ? Fine, if you have RTX3070 on hand and you'll be able to test it out and return if it isn't working properly - go for it.

13 minutes ago, Juular said:

No Bitfenix either ? Fine, if you have RTX3070 on hand and you'll be able to test it out and return if it isn't working properly - go for it.

Nope, No Bitfenix, searched for it now. I'm in Eastern Europe, probably that's why the SilentiumPC is cheaper than everything else around here. I'm still waiting for my 3070 to arrive, if I had it I would have already tested it on my Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze. So I'll just go for the Supremo FM2 and test it when the card arrives. Are there any specific tests I should do? 

EDIT : Found a Super Flower Leadex III Gold, 80+ Gold, 750W. Is this a solid choice? The price is like 10$ more than the Supremo FM2. 

Edited by AktD
Found something I wanted to share

4 hours ago, AktD said:

Nope, No Bitfenix, searched for it now. I'm in Eastern Europe, probably that's why the SilentiumPC is cheaper than everything else around here. I'm still waiting for my 3070 to arrive, if I had it I would have already tested it on my Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze. So I'll just go for the Supremo FM2 and test it when the card arrives. Are there any specific tests I should do? 

EDIT : Found a Super Flower Leadex III Gold, 80+ Gold, 750W. Is this a solid choice? The price is like 10$ more than the Supremo FM2. 

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

6 hours ago, AktD said:

Found a Super Flower Leadex III Gold, 80+ Gold, 750W. Is this a solid choice? The price is like 10$ more than the Supremo FM2. 

Yes.

Seasonic s12iii 80 plus bronze 550 watts or Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 80 plus gold 650 watts?

This is a problems with UVP of PSU, for example S12II ss520gb 

I have this problem with a my house has a problem with fusible, then the electrical company fix the fusible, i have not any more problem with sound, i use my pc for a mounth with s12ii, 0 problems

I have Corsair CX550M 80 plus bronze, i have problems with a cooler sound, and i have ticking noise for a day, then the sound was going, two and once times on week my pc turned off, the same with EVGA 500 W1 80 plus white with Intel Pentium G3260, Nvidia GTX 1050 ASUS DUAL OC 2GB DDR5 128 bits, 1TB WD Caviar Blue 7200 RPM, Generic Case, Intel Cooler Stock, Gigabyte H81M-H LGA 1150, 6GB DDR3 1333 mhz Kingston.

I have Thermaltake TR2 600 the worst psu i have, before burn my hardware i seller and i buy EVGA 600B, for psu tier list in this web and bad experiences with psu.

My EVGA 600B has coil whine with GTX 960 Strix ASUS OC 2GB GDDR5 128 Bits the same with Corsair CX550M and S12II.

The CX550M burn one of my ram sotcket, one day then the electrical storm, i conneted my pc, i have not video and i have bucle of turned off, i tried of pieces of hardware, i have reset the bios battery or clock battery, i have video but i have the bucle, the fix is a change of rams of socket, i tried memtest86 of one sotcket 0 problems, my mother was death the motherboard has 3 years of use.

I have two computers with 5 and 7 years of use, i never had anything problems, i have swollen capacitors on my pc of 7 years why i have a generic psu is a biswal 450 watts with Intel Core 2 Duo E4500, MSI LGA 775, Nvidia 9400 GT XFX 512 MB DDR2 128 bits passive, the same case, intel cooler stock, 250 gb hdd samsung, 3gb ddr2 800 mhz memox and kingston dual channel, windows xp sp3 32 bits and other was Intel Core i3 530 LGA 1156, mother Intel DH55PJ, 4GB DDR3 1333 mhz Kingston, Nvidia 9600 GSO 512 EVGA 1,5 GB DDR2 800 mhz, Sentey Case, Intel Cooler Stock, 500 GB HD Samsung 7200 RPM, Sentey P4 600 Watts generic psu with the case, i have problems with the gpu cooler when power off my pc. With this pc i use for 6 years, i have any 0 problems, the temps are 70 º C in my cpu, in Core 2 Duo max temps was 60 º C.

20 minutes ago, siggames said:

Seasonic s12iii 80 plus bronze 550 watts or Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 80 plus gold 650 watts?

a) There's not enough information here to give a proper recommendation. Ideally you'd want the latter.

b) This is a thread for discussing the tier list. Please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

Hi ^^. Im buying a Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W for a RTX 3080, or a 3080ti/super if I wait enough (perhaps AMD... we´ll see). I know 850W could be overkill, but I preffer it like that

The question is; I know GF1 "no RGB" and ARGB are made by different manufacturers (I´ve searched the thread before asking), but... are they really the same tier and the best unit? Both?

Im gonna buy a non RGB and dont want to think I bough a worse one. Im not interested on RGB, just long-term work

I found CWT as the non RGB manufacturer, but not for the ARGB

So... that´s it; are them both the same quality, tier, etc?

Thanks ^^

EDIT: By the way; ProfesionalReview, an spanish website, did a review of the 650W non RGB version (I guess the results, the quality, apply for the 850W too) and they liked it a lot; really intelligent fan, really little curly, quite good hold-up time...

6 hours ago, kelalo said:

The question is; I know GF1 "no RGB" and ARGB are made by different manufacturers (I´ve searched the thread before asking), but... are they really the same tier and the best unit? Both?

No, they're identical, it's GX1 that are different.

8 hours ago, kelalo said:

EDIT: By the way; ProfesionalReview, an spanish website, did a review of the 650W non RGB version (I guess the results, the quality, apply for the 850W too) and they liked it a lot; really intelligent fan, really little curly, quite good hold-up time...

they used Cybenetics data for that btw, the person that made the review (breixobaloca) works with us

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

they used Cybenetics data for that btw, the person that made the review (breixobaloca) works with us

That's great to know! I knew about the Cybernetics thing (they dont hide it ^^), but did not know that breixobaloca works with you ^^

4 hours ago, Juular said:

No, they're identical, it's GX1 that are different.

Thank you! ^^

1 hour ago, doubleflower said:

Are there any difference between the Cougar GX-F and the GX-F Aurum?  Which tier this unit should belong to?

Looks like the 'Aurum' thing just refers to the golden color of the PSU casing, nothing else, no difference. If you look at the tier list GX-F Aurum is in the same tier as regular GX-F.