[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

7 minutes ago, Nlelith said:

or one on 12V3 and other on 12V4?

try this and report back if you still encounter those issues

Will do! It happened only twice, though, and I don't think there's a way to trigger it, so I'll have to take some time to see if this worked.

@Juular thank you for long and detailed post... i appreciate it. i will continue to follow this topic to get more info on psu and looking forward to it. it would be a really great budget suggestion in here turkey bcoz it seells for like 450 500 tl (same price with corsair vs550 go figure)

i have some more detaild pictures of high power performance gd. maybe you can make something out of these as well? for example can u assume what bearing does its fan have?

HP1-J750GD-F12S-icgorsel-01.jpg

HP1-J750GD-F12S-icgorsel-07.jpg

HP1-J750GD-F12S-icgorsel-03.jpg

HP1-J750GD-F12S-icgorsel-04.jpg

i emailed to the retailers... to the high power.. to the distributer. no one, NOT A damn person replies back. no internal pics of the damned psu. how can HIGH power expect a consumer to buy this product? with no reviews and such. it really irks me. i think its because its turkish only? why would they make a product specially for turkey? it feels a bit weird

6 minutes ago, viceice said:

i emailed to the retailers... to the high power.. to the distributer. no one, NOT A damn person replies back. no internal pics of the damned psu. how can HIGH power expect a consumer to buy this product? with no reviews and such. it really irks me. i think its because its turkish only? why would they make a product specially for turkey? it feels a bit weird

Not Turkey only.

It's right here:  http://www.highpower-tech.com/OEM/products_main.php?class=20100527154206&id=20190624145944

It's basically a "no frills" version of the Astro GD.

33 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

It's basically a "no frills" version of the Astro GD.

I may be wrong but i looks more like whatever platform in Chieftec Polaris :
Very similiar configuration of transient filter, Astro GD (assuming you meant up-to 750W versions, because higher wattage platform, HPJ, looks completely different) looks different, there's just one Y cap at the corner, no film cap and Y cap in between chokes we don't see on the shots of Performance GD. Now, what's the name of platform in Chieftec Polaris then if anyone knows ?

Spoiler

12-chieftec-polaris-pps-750fc.jpg

Edit: yep, Chieftec Polaris uses HP Performance GD platform, there's 'HP1-J750GD-F12C' on the label somewhere according to reviews.

https://lab501.ro/carcase-surse/review-chieftec-polaris-pps-750fc/3

https://www.overclockers.ua/power/chieftec-polaris-pps-750fc/

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/chieftec_polaris/s01.php

Chieftec Polaris are in tier B+ because it uses sleeve bearing fan, otherwise it would've qualified for tier A, performance are good enough.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

24 minutes ago, Juular said:

I may be wrong but i looks more like whatever platform in Chieftec Polaris :
Very similiar configuration of transient filter, Astro GD (assuming you meant up-to 750W versions, because higher wattage platform, HPJ, looks completely different) looks different, there's just one Y cap at the corner, no film cap and Y cap in between chokes we don't see on the shots of Performance GD. Now, what's the name of platform in Chieftec Polaris then if anyone knows ?

Reveal hidden contents

12-chieftec-polaris-pps-750fc.jpg

Edit: yep, Chieftec Polaris uses HP Performance GD platform, there's 'HP1-J750GD-F12C' on the label somewhere according to reviews.

https://lab501.ro/carcase-surse/review-chieftec-polaris-pps-750fc/3

https://www.overclockers.ua/power/chieftec-polaris-pps-750fc/

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/chieftec_polaris/s01.php

Chieftec Polaris are in tier B+ because it uses sleeve bearing fan, otherwise it would've qualified for tier A, performance are good enough.

may i ask what makes a sleeve bearing fan bad for a psu? shorter fan lifespan? or is it related to loudness (prone to be loud_?)

thanks for these insights... they are invaluable! 

4 minutes ago, viceice said:

may i ask what makes a sleeve bearing fan bad for a psu? shorter fan lifespan? or is it related to loudness (prone to be loud_?)

Shorter lifespan, yes. Here's a good read from Aris, not only about fans.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supplies-101,4193-18.html

A good quality sleeve bearing wouldn't necessarily have shorter lifespan than other types of bearings just because it's sleeve, but on average sleeves tend to fail in just 2-3 years or even sooner if it's already garbage.

3 minutes ago, viceice said:

thanks for these insights... they are invaluable! 

Sleeve bearing fans do not last long.

SilentiumPC Supremo L2/m2 doesn't have a MOV so im wandering if it should stay at A

Also about txm 550 and 650 ripple? any info?

24 minutes ago, grmaster said:

SilentiumPC Supremo L2/m2 doesn't have a MOV so im wandering if it should stay at A

That's weird ... someone at SPC throught 'lets save 0.1$ on this varistor'. That's certainly not the type of cheaping out i'd expect from supposedly high end tier A units. On the other hand, there were some changes to SAMA platforms in the last years and all reviews of L2\M2 i can find are at least 3 years old, maybe they did include MOV in latest revisions ... i hope. Why noone in EU reviews damn SPC PSUs anymore ?

24 minutes ago, grmaster said:

Also about txm 550 and 650 ripple? any info?

It's a bit weird, in one half of reviews it's very close to 50mV or higher and in other it's barely over 20mV so we decided to move it anyway since results aren't very consistent even if we only consider Aris's results alone and there's no other units on this platform to compare with as i'm aware aside of Corsair CX which is similiar but it doesn't perform very well either (and Aris have tested only 450W version).

44 minutes ago, Juular said:

Shorter lifespan, yes. Here's a good read from Aris, not only about fans.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supplies-101,4193-18.html

A good quality sleeve bearing wouldn't necessarily have shorter lifespan than other types of bearings just because it's sleeve, but on average sleeves tend to fail in just 2-3 years or even sooner if it's already garbage.

okay, lastly, is it possible to differentiate sleeve bearing from other type of bearings from outside? is the high performance model uses sleeve bearing as well? it seems like its fan is a different model compared to chieftec polaris so i wondered

another question i will squueze, i have a coolermaster sickleflow 120 mm. now that i learned this information, i looked it up and saw its sleeve bearing as well. to my luck and idiocracy, i installed this fan horizontally (which is said to be even more weary for this type of fan) i think i should move it to a vertical position, no? :P

okay, lastly, is it possible to differentiate sleeve bearing from other type of bearings from outside? is the high performance model uses sleeve bearing as well? it seems like its fan is a different model compared to chieftec polaris so i wondered

Not really, you need to see the inner side. But i mean, if it's cheaper than Corsair VS, would you even complain if it's a sleeve ? Just replace the fan when it dies.

another question i will squueze, i have a coolermaster sickleflow 120 mm. now that i learned this information, i looked it up and saw its sleeve bearing as well. to my luck and idiocracy, i installed this fan horizontally (which is said to be even more weary for this type of fan) i think i should move it to a vertical position, no? :P

It kinda depends on the contruction of the fan and if there are proper grease seals but yeah, it's adviced to mount sleeves vertically.

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

Not really, you need to see the inner side. But i mean, if it's cheaper than Corsair VS, would you even complain if it's a sleeve ? Just replace the fan when it dies.

It kinda depends on the contruction of the fan and if there are proper grease seals but yeah, it's adviced to mount sleeves vertically.

of course i wouldnt :P i think it also has over temp protection so even fan fails psu will protect itself from overheating by shutting down i assume

thank you for all your insight, it was really valuable have a good day as well 

Just a question on the Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650w; What setting is best to put the fan on? it has 3 settings according to what i have read.

I don't have my parts yet but they will be here this week.

Is there a problem with units above 650w? the KitGuru review of the 750w gave it stellar reviews.

This is my build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($113.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($79.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: OCZ Vertex Plus R2 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB AORUS Video Card  ($439.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($67.93 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $701.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-22 20:02 EDT-0400

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

3 minutes ago, GreyestGoat said:

Just a question on the Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650w; What setting is best to put the fan on?

down, since the shroud looks closed from a quick look

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

down, since the shroud looks closed from a quick look

Oh, i did mean the switch that changes how the actual fan spins.

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

16 minutes ago, GreyestGoat said:

Oh, i did mean the switch that changes how the actual fan spins.

oh, I misunderstood

I personally find some superflower made units to blast when they come out of semi-passive mode, but I haven't looked too deep into the leadex III. I personally prefer to keep it spinning, but there's nothing wrong with testing both out

20 hours ago, grmaster said:

Supremo L2/m2 doesn't have a MOV so im wandering if it should stay at A

19 hours ago, Juular said:

On the other hand, there were some changes to SAMA platforms in the last years and all reviews of L2\M2 i can find are at least 3 years old, maybe they did include MOV in latest revisions ... i hope.

So you rely on speculation and hopes instead of facts placing models in given levels? Lol. 

I would like to remind that SAMA units don't have otp confirmed by the manufacturer too, even though this is one of the requirements for higher tiers.

41 minutes ago, Kaygooo said:

I would like to remind that SAMA units don't have otp confirmed by the manufacturer too, even though this is one of the requirements for higher tiers

but if you look at internals you do see thermal probes, indicating it does have it

and sama themselves don't even indicate uvp if i recall right

Edited by LukeSavenije

47 minutes ago, Kaygooo said:

So you rely on speculation and hopes instead of facts placing models in given levels? Lol. 

I would like to remind that SAMA units don't have otp confirmed by the manufacturer too, even though this is one of the requirements for higher tiers.

A lot of units don't claim full protection list as it's too hard for marketing team to list all these pesky three-letter abbreviations... Of course if unit doesn't claim OTP and we don't have tests that prove otherwise we treat it as it indeed lacks the OTP, but in this case OTP is confirmed :

The combined limit for OPP was kinda problematic to achieve. Both lower rails being limited to about 20 A and having my +12V draw limit (in the meantime increased though), I could have only loaded the unit with about 950 W. It was close to shut down in the end though as the unit started cycling, which would suggest there is actually OTP present. As the supervisor had intermittent signal from OTP sensor (thermistor), it was showing this behaviour, as the unit cooled down, things returned to normal. So the unit can deliver the power and actual OPP (or +12 V OCP) limit is higher, but it has cooling problems when overloaded. The −12V voltage also rose too high though otherwise it was working OK within specs.

https://www.hardwareinsights.com/modecom-volcano-750-gold-review/6/#Loading-5-V-SB

It's very hard to come across reviews that care about OTP aside of ones by Aris so this is pretty rare case.

As of the lack of MOV. Surge protection is not currently in requirements for any tier by our methodology, we've discussed this matter internally and the consensus seems to be that it isn't a good enough reason to detier them from tier A, at least for the time being.

Hi all,

I'm about to get a new PSU, but since i'm in Turkey, there are not much bugdet options high tier ones.

So i'm stuck between 4 diffrent PSU at the moment. Could you give me some insight which one to choose? 650w is more than enough for my build(r5 3600, rtx 2060 atm-tho i will be upgrading to 3070 when it comes out).

My prio is silent operation, i dont care how loud it is when its underload but i need dead silence when i'm working or surfing the net(my cpu cooler is shadow rock slim and all my fans are(2 intake 2 exhaust) be quiet pure wings, which are not the best on performance side but i can not hear them at all, for idle temps, only 2 of them running at about 500 rpm, other 2 stops).

I have a really low tier CM psu atm and fan noise is driving me crazy at night time(probably fan is dead already but i wasnt happy with it at the start either)

So my options are;

XPG Core Reactor 650 (650 version doenst have 2x 4+4 pins, should i care about it for future?) around 123 US $

XPG Core Reactor 750 154 US $

RM750X(2015 version, white one is cheaper atm, which i dont care, i have psu shroud in my case, 20$ more for black is pointless for me.) around 161 US $

RM750(new version) 153 US $

About 180 $ i can get Focus GX as well but as i read in this topic, you guys are not really fan of it. 650w XPG seems like best bang for the buck but there was nothing about it in this topic for last 4 months.

Any help from you guys would be really appriciated. 

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Zvenk said:

650 version doenst have 2x 4+4 pins, should i care about it for future?

except if you plan to go into hedt or TR with it, not at all. a single 8 pin eps/cpu connector can do 384w

6 minutes ago, Zvenk said:

XPG Core Reactor 650

since you cared about noise, here's the 750 and 850w version's noise output

Click to see more results

No9fVk9USgPmtjgsYvVkah-650-80.png

8 minutes ago, Zvenk said:

RM750X

the old white RMx actually came with sleeved cables, if you care about those

8 minutes ago, Zvenk said:

About 180 $ i can get Focus GX as well but as i read in this topic, you guys are not really fan of it.

I actually own one of them as a reviewers sample. It's far from a bad PSU, it's just not competitive enough to something like an RMx. It's good at the right price, but quite a bit more for it wouldn't make it worth it in my eyes over either of these.

with that said, your system, and likely future system will be totally fine on a good 550w PSU, if you want to save some money. 650 or even 750w isn't really needed here

Thanks for the answer. I wish i could get good 550 PSU, but there is no option for high tier ones. Few good examples are GX550 and RM550x never made it to our country. 

From what you've shared above(tho it doesnt have xpg650, it should be closer to 750 one on noise side) XPG 650 seems like a really good option for me but fan never stops on that one. Maybe i can give it a try since i will have option to send it back if i dont like it.

Or if its wise to do it, i can get RMx750(2015).

What do you think when you compare them on price side? 

2 minutes ago, Zvenk said:

Maybe i can give it a try since i will have option to send it back if i dont like it.

that's never a bad idea. I'm personally a fan of always spinning on mine, but RMx is one of the few units that doesn't really blast when coming out of semi-passive mode like some others (you could clearly see this on G2 for example) would do this.

both are good choices, it all depends where you have personal value in at that point. RMx is slightly better, but the cost is to that as well

I'm really thankful for your time to answer me and putting up that amazing list and work.

Can i squeeze one more option here as well, it doesnt listed as blue on the list but since you mentioned semi-passive mode, FSP Hydro G 750 has that and it seems like silent psu under %50 load with 15 Db. The reason i ask is it has 130 $ price tag which leaves it between 2 options above. (And some reatiler listed one as FSP Premium Hydro HG750 which has 120$ price tag. Bit confused but i think its Hydro G.)

I promise this was the last question i had :)

Thanks a lot again.