PSU With Lowest Ripple

dabockster

Hey all,

My two year old EVGA 650 GQ has some serious ripple going on. It's causing my GPU to coil whine and will sometimes even transfer the whine into my headphones. Since any RMA would leave me without my computer (I have a laptop, but otherwise that's it), I am forced to buy another power supply with less ripple.

So which PSUs have the least amount of ripple? I was looking at the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold line, but was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions.

lttstore.com

Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium but those are crazy expensive, but EVGA G2/G3 have decent ripple due to in-cable capacitors, the focus plus is good too.

3 minutes ago, dabockster said:

My two year old EVGA 650 GQ has some serious ripple going on. It's causing my GPU to coil whine and will sometimes even transfer the whine into my headphones

In which universe do you live in, for you to reach that conclusion?

:)

The newer Seasonic ones are best.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

In which universe do you live in, for you to reach that conclusion?

I posted in the GPU forum about it. Tried everything except replace the PSU or GPU. I figured the PSU was the culprit since that's the one part I haven't upgraded yet. My original system two years ago had a low end ASUS 1060 3GB in it that didn't draw much power/current.

lttstore.com

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The newer Seasonic ones are best.

Any model suggestions? I saw the Prime Ultra Titanium but was hoping for something a tad less expensive. Shooting for 850 watts.

lttstore.com

1 minute ago, dabockster said:

I posted in the GPU forum about it. Tried everything except replace the PSU or GPU. I figured the PSU was the culprit since that's the one part I haven't upgraded yet. My original system two years ago had a low end ASUS 1060 3GB in it that didn't draw much power/current.

Spoiler

image.png.5f88081d1fa1d66b5bed75596c4d4e1c.png

The cable to the front panel headphone connector acts as an antenna. Just use the rear jack so you can get somewhat decent audio. The PSU's output ripple does not have anything to do with the EMI from the PSU or any other component in the PC.

:)

6 minutes ago, dabockster said:

Any model suggestions? I saw the Prime Ultra Titanium but was hoping for something a tad less expensive. Shooting for 850 watts.

You don't need 850W.

The Prime Ultra is basically the best you cna get right now.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

7 minutes ago, seon123 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

image.png.5f88081d1fa1d66b5bed75596c4d4e1c.png

The cable to the front panel headphone connector acts as an antenna. Just use the rear jack so you can get somewhat decent audio. The PSU's output ripple does not have anything to do with the EMI from the PSU or any other component in the PC.

The whole point of that post is that I don't want to use the rear jack for my headphones. I already use it for a set of speakers. I want to use the front jack.

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You don't need 850W.

The Prime Ultra is basically the best you can get right now.

If I start OCing stuff again I might. Or if I upgrade to the new Ryzen processor. Or do a custom loop. Trying to plan for the future a bit since I have the opportunity.

lttstore.com

7 minutes ago, dabockster said:

If I start OCing stuff again I might. Or if I upgrade to the new Ryzen processor. Or do a custom loop. Trying to plan for the future a bit since I have the opportunity.

You don't need 850W for overclocking or Ryzen.

A custom loop does not use much power, it's literally just a few watts for a pump.

Unless you are running 3+ GPUs (which you should definitely never do) and some high power threadripper or xeon CPU, there's no need for more than 650-750W

Spoiler

Coilwhine transfered into the Headphones? Rofl.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I am also haering coiol whine on my monitor

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu