ROG Zephyrus G GA502 - Asus frame drops in games

NESHAY
8 hours ago, NESHAY said:

Uninstalling dervishes did not help I do have USA phone number I will call ASUS support on Monday. I did not try removing RAM since I don see a dedicated RAM bay on the bottom and I am afraid that I would not be able to RMA the laptop  or get my money back.

I had some success by going into power settings  and limiting max processor usage but that only postpones the issues. The weird thing is that when I change the minimum usage from 100% to 99% my max clock speed get stuck on 1700 MHz. I do not have any problems at that speed but most of the games I tried are unplayable with decent settings. Please try reducing minimum processor usage in windows power settings I am interested to see if what your clock speeds would be.

I would like to try that activating that power plan so If you have any steps on how to do so please post them them or post a link.

I also reached out to ROG and AMD forums but no replay on these at the time. You can maybe monitor them in case a solution pops up or note there so they can see that more then one person has the same issue if you want.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?114280-ROG-Zephyrus-G-GA502-Asus-frame-drops-in-games

https://community.amd.com/thread/244625 

The power plan i'm talking about does the same thing regarding the processor usage. It is meant to remain stuck when set at 99%.

The 16gb of RAM are soldered so there is actually no RAM to be removed.

Lately i've been hearing that maybe the next BIOS update with ABBA AGESA could solve this issue, which was supposed to be released late September, but as ASUS hasn't stated anything regarding this issue i would not expect much. Hopefully it is not a hardware related problem.

As you can see in the comments, repasting seems to fix the problem. Gonna try this week.

1 hour ago, mussifer said:

The power plan i'm talking about does the same thing regarding the processor usage. It is meant to remain stuck when set at 99%.

The 16gb of RAM are soldered so there is actually no RAM to be removed.

Lately i've been hearing that maybe the next BIOS update with ABBA AGESA could solve this issue, which was supposed to be released late September, but as ASUS hasn't stated anything regarding this issue i would not expect much. Hopefully it is not a hardware related problem.

Thanks for info and the guide. I will try it out. I will call the help desk and pressure them a little bit (work at one so I know how it goes). Will post my results where I would like this to a SW issue too.

11 hours ago, NESHAY said:

I did not try removing RAM since I don see a dedicated RAM bay on the bottom

Ahhh, so you haven't upgrade your ram, i didn't put much explenation in my post earlier. Another way you can limit the cpu power is to download and install ryzen controller, it is ryzen master for mobile processor, you can get a bit less performance compare to the original, but not as much as changing cpu usage in power management. Just change cpu temprature and you're good to go.

Ryzen master is not supported for this CPU

I know ryzen master is not supported. Its "ryzen controller" , its 'like' ryzen master but for laptops. You can download it in this website. https://gitlab.com/ryzen-controller-team/ryzen-controllertempsnip.png.11a079d291c5d16e781e146fd8ea7502.png the red circle was when i didn't use ryzen controller, the rest you can probably tell when i was using ryzen controller, the cpu clock around 3300 MHz,a little bit slower but it run smooth.

1 hour ago, st_jimmy97 said:

I know ryzen master is not supported. Its "ryzen controller" , its 'like' ryzen master but for laptops. You can download it in this website. https://gitlab.com/ryzen-controller-team/ryzen-controllertempsnip.png.11a079d291c5d16e781e146fd8ea7502.png the red circle was when i didn't use ryzen controller, the rest you can probably tell when i was using ryzen controller, the cpu clock around 3300 MHz,a little bit slower but it run smooth.

That looks pretty god, I installed it  but when I max everything I get only  2140MHz. If you have the same CPU can you tell me what settings are you using? Also is the graph above showing temps? 

this is my setting,Capture.PNG.6a688318c63464c9505d684a28b55af9.PNG GPU1 temp on MSI Afterburner Should be the same with your temperature setting. GPU 1 is Vega 10. if you look in CPUID HWMonitor, CPU temp is the same as Vega 10 Temp. So we can assume GPU1 temp is the CPU temperature. if the drop still happen you can change the VRM to 30. that work best for me

5 hours ago, st_jimmy97 said:

this is my setting,Capture.PNG.6a688318c63464c9505d684a28b55af9.PNG GPU1 temp on MSI Afterburner Should be the same with your temperature setting. GPU 1 is Vega 10. if you look in CPUID HWMonitor, CPU temp is the same as Vega 10 Temp. So we can assume GPU1 temp is the CPU temperature. if the drop still happen you can change the VRM to 30. that work best for me

This worked, average frame rates have dropped but CPU clock did not, have you tried playing with temp settings? 

I also heard back from ASUS, they asked for Diags, we'll see what happened on that front.

Thanks.

Also I try to changing the temp but it does not work it is stuck on 75 deg no matter what I put in. Is there a way to turn these changes off?

Just heard back from ASUS support, they asked me to try and install  NVIDA drivers from their site V26.21.14.3058 and not to use any other versions that are not from ASUS sites. I will try again after a fresh Windows install.

I think we managed to resolve it. I just did a 5 min stress test and it was fine. I am downloading a game to test. 

I spoke whit ASUS support line. They had me go to BIOS res F9 to restart BIOS settings then pres F10 to save and exit. Please try it out and let me know how it goes for you @mussifer and @st_jimmy97

asus.PNG

worth mentioning that the GA502 has one stick soldered on and another slot free. So if you have the 16gb its probably 8+8(soldered). 

Also congrats. 

5 hours ago, NESHAY said:

I think we managed to resolve it. I just did a 5 min stress test and it was fine. I am downloading a game to test. 

I spoke whit ASUS support line. They had me go to BIOS res F9 to restart BIOS settings then pres F10 to save and exit. Please try it out and let me know how it goes for you @mussifer and @st_jimmy97

asus.PNG

Nice. How did it go with the game test? Did you notice any throttle?

Gonna try that soon.

1 hour ago, mussifer said:

Nice. How did it go with the game test? Did you notice any throttle?

Gonna try that soon.

Performance is a lot better but unfortunately I did notice it 2 times during my play season. Thermals improved a lot. I am download AAA title to see how well will it perform under bigger load manage to test it only with War Thunder today. I will try BO4 tomorrow I hope.

Hope this make our laptops usable for gaming. Let me know how did it go on our side.

my laptop still throttle, but less frequently than before. still see no difference in temp. i think i'll stick with Ryzen Controller until they fix the issue.

11 hours ago, NESHAY said:

Also I try to changing the temp but it does not work it is stuck on 75 deg no matter what I put in. Is there a way to turn these changes off?

i think i know the problem, if you want to turn off the temp setting, don't untick the setting, just crank up the number to 100C for example. its applicable to all the setting, just crank those number up. don't forget to click apply.

6 minutes ago, st_jimmy97 said:

my laptop still throttle, but less frequently than before. still see no difference in temp. i think i'll stick with Ryzen Controller until they fix the issue.

i think i know the problem, if you want to turn off the temp setting, don't untick the setting, just crank up the number to 100C for example. its applicable to all the setting, just crank those number up. don't forget to click apply.

Yes, the thing is that under Aida 64 load I did not see any throttling. While playing a game I did but barely but I was not playing a very demanding game. I thin we managed to narrow it down to BIOS, or maybe even GPU. I will call ASUS again if I have the same issue in COD and if it is more frequent. 

I also tried maxing the temp and turning it off but no luck for me, temp stayed at 70 to 75 no matter want I did.

8 hours ago, st_jimmy97 said:

Still the same for me, this did not help any luck on your side?

I called ASUS again and they told me I need to bring it in to ASUS service center and pay a fee to get it looked. If I do not find anything that works I will try to return the unit and get my money back.

I am still opened to suggestions.

Now I really think NVIDIA GPU has something to do with this, I did another AIDA 56 stress test and for 10+ min it did not drop. I noticed that GPU was not selected. After I checked GPU it started happening. 

GPU on pff.PNG

What are the last drivers you installed? 

55 minutes ago, st_jimmy97 said:

my laptop got fixed some how, didn't know what fixed it. all i do is install the latest driver.2048598876_whenplayinggames2.PNG.48abd42f482f528dc2df35a17aa967a0.PNG

What drivers have you updated, installed?

what was the load on GPU2 (NVIDIA)? 

i didn't use the one from asus website, for amd radeon i downloaded from amd.com. and nvidia from geforce experience.

ohh yeahh, and i remove the fan blockage, and it worked like a charm.

Edited by st_jimmy97