ROG Zephyrus G GA502 - Asus frame drops in games

NESHAY

@Bobbydigital I just spoke to Asus support and after pointing the 1st line support guy to all the reddit posts and this forum he is now sending my ticket to their second line technical support to take a look and give me advice on this as I pushed for it.

Hoping for them to look into this more now. 

Hey guys, I had bad framerates in battlefield 5 noticably as the cpu kept dropping from max clock speed down to 1-2ghz. I asked someone on discord and they reccomended I installed the asus chipset driver from the ga502 support page. I downloaded it, chose local driver ( as the one on my sytem was a more up to date one), custom install and then clean install so it removes all the old ones and installs the one downloaded . After that I get a constant 3.85ghz cpu clock speed in battlefield 5 and all other games. Just wanted to suggest trying that if you cant seem to get anything to work :)

The link for it is on this page : https://www.asus.com/au/Laptops/ROG-Zephyrus-G-GA502/HelpDesk_Download/

Specificly this file : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/GamingNB/DriverforWin10/Chipset/Chipset_AMD_APU_ROG_W10_64_V2620110263002.zip

I bought this laptop from Amazon 4 days ago, arrived 2 days ago and oh god, it was a pain in the ass. Dealing with the slow shitty ass Windows at the beggining without any clue was the hardest part for me. I've never had before a laptop without O.S installed or drivers neither, so it was actually energy draining for me to search for the very few info that were on the internet about this issue with this laptop model. To begin with, im from Spain, and no spanish forum was actually addresing or talking about this issue, so I did the basics and searched in english for some help and finally got here.

Im grateful and thankful for the help and things you guys came up in this thread. The Ryzen Controller config thing you @Bobbydigital did was the best one so props to you, you are the goat. @st_jimmy97 props to you as well.

The @Bensaski suggestion wasn't useful at all but still appreciated: throtts were still being there as much as without that version of the driver.

I didn't do any paste change to the CPU as I'm afraid to lose warranty and either with remobing the physical fan thing on the laptop. But one thing is sure, we need to pull this out so Asus actually can do something.

I was thinking about spamming this trouble through twitter and reddit, as I saw that on reddit the official ROG Assus reaplied to someone telling him to send him his serial number of the laptop.

As by now, im kinda busy because of college, but when done im gonna mess up with the Ryzen controller and try some new builds to see if we can pull a solid patch until they come with a BIOS update or something that actually fixes this.

I won't return the laptop honestly, I hope we get somewhere sooner and hear an official statement from Asus. See y'all around, and again thanks for making this thread and answers, you guys are awesome ❤️

On 11/28/2019 at 2:04 PM, Rkes608 said:

Btw, I actually have a concern about my Integrated GOU Vega RX 10, when I'm runnkng games it goes al way up to 50~80% of usage, is this normal? I thought all the work was on the GTX 1660Ti but seems that when im playing games the Vega RX 10 is doing some work too. I'm pretty upset would be amazing to know if you guys have this same thing as I'm not sure if its an issue or not.

Bought the GA502 from John lewis with the same issue. Replacing it for a brand new one tonight and I'm hoping I get a unit from a different batch without these issues. 

On my armoury crate the 1660ti didn't even show up? It only mentioned the integrated graphics card. Is this the same for everyone else? 

1 hour ago, simpleas said:

Bought the GA502 from John lewis with the same issue. Replacing it for a brand new one tonight and I'm hoping I get a unit from a different batch without these issues. 

On my armoury crate the 1660ti didn't even show up? It only mentioned the integrated graphics card. Is this the same for everyone else? 

Nope, the normal thing is to get the GTX displayed on the Armoury Crate. That's good new for you!! Hope it run well without any issues. I tried to get a replace from Amazon but they saying that they have no references (lol what an excuse) so they cant replace it for me.

2 hours ago, simpleas said:

Yess, i finally got Amazon to send me a replacement. It gonna arrive this sunday, hope it runs well without any issues.

So what about you did everything went fine??

Same issues with the replacement. 1660ti still does not show and same drops in-game. 

Massively dissapointed. Two new units and still same issues- maybe i'm missing something? I have settings enabled to turbo?

10 minutes ago, simpleas said:

Same issues with the replacement. 1660ti still does not show and same drops in-game. 

Massively dissapointed. Two new units and still same issues- maybe i'm missing something? I have settings enabled to turbo?

Have you tried to uninstal literally every driver you have and installing only the ones on Asus website? Do it, it may fix it. But however, i think you gonna still having throttling issues. It sucks, if this happens to me im gonna send it back, im starting to give up w AMD.

I have reinstalled all the graphics drivers etc. When i disable the integrated graphics card I can't load games at all which is strange too? I'm out of ideas

7 hours ago, simpleas said:

I have reinstalled all the graphics drivers etc. When i disable the integrated graphics card I can't load games at all which is strange too? I'm out of ideas

That's actually weird. Does the GTX appears on your pc settings when you go to This PC properties? I've never heard about something like this. Nevertheless, wether the graphic appears or not on Armoury Crate doesn't matter at all, do you get good framerates in games? The integrated graphics only have 128MB so by itself it can't do anything, im pretty sure you have enabled the GTX, if you have the drivers, theb go to desktop, right control, NVIDIA control panel and then select it manually.

And last thing, create a new power energy plan, a High Perfomance one.

If nothing of this actually works, im run out of ideas.

Order another replacement or just send it back. As i said, AMD is fing up really hard with this mobile CPUs and some companies like Asus are not dealing with this issue as they not fixing it by a BIOS update. And up to that, in your case seems that the GPU is failing too. I'm just starting to think that this line of product is absolute crap.

Got the laptop from amazon too, the same problems, so far installing AMD 19.12.1 drivers made it a bit better, if I can’t find a fix soon I will just ask for a refund. Sucks because I really like this laptop.

4 hours ago, rrff said:

Got the laptop from amazon too, the same problems, so far installing AMD 19.12.1 drivers made it a bit better, if I can’t find a fix soon I will just ask for a refund. Sucks because I really like this laptop.

Ikr, I got it for like 875€ from Amazon, such a good deal. But if this replacement doesn't work I'm gonna kust go for the refund as well.

Hello everyone. I'm having the same issue with CPU speeds droping down to 400. But I think, it is not a CPU issue, it's got to do with the Nvidia GPU. I was playing around with Unigine Heaven and monitoring the temps and speed. Every time the GPU hits around 72 degree, the CPU drops to 400 Mhz. After playing with temp limit in Ryzen Controller, i've got CPU temperatures as low as 70 degrees in Heaven, but still drops to 400 Mhz, when the GPU temps were above 70 degrees. It seems like the GPU is making this drops. I don't know if it is a BIOS or Windows 10 problem.

1 hour ago, mijo said:

Hello everyone. I'm having the same issue with CPU speeds droping down to 400. But I think, it is not a CPU issue, it's got to do with the Nvidia GPU. I was playing around with Unigine Heaven and monitoring the temps and speed. Every time the GPU hits around 72 degree, the CPU drops to 400 Mhz. After playing with temp limit in Ryzen Controller, i've got CPU temperatures as low as 70 degrees in Heaven, but still drops to 400 Mhz, when the GPU temps were above 70 degrees. It seems like the GPU is making this drops. I don't know if it is a BIOS or Windows 10 problem.

BIOS problem. You can see on youtube that there is old reviews that have not had this issue. But then I see people that bought it wery recebtly and havent experienced any issue, so idk anymore. .aybe its mixed hardware and bios defect.

This is such bullshit tbh. So mad rn. Got my replacement, while installing W10 noticed that this replacement came with a very strange fan noise that made me loose it at all. So, I was navigatig through Windows while monitoring CPU and oh uh, GHz drops to 0,39 again. I'm done.

Hi all, Asus are still looking into my case with the over heating. I have raised it too them are they are doing tests. I'd suggest you do the same. It's a good laptop just the bios temp curves are fucked. 

Its looking good on my end as second line Asus support are actually looking to replicate the issue. 

On 12/4/2019 at 9:39 AM, Siker said:

Btw, I actually have a concern about my Integrated GOU Vega RX 10, when I'm runnkng games it goes al way up to 50~80% of usage, is this normal? I thought all the work was on the GTX 1660Ti but seems that when im playing games the Vega RX 10 is doing some work too. I'm pretty upset would be amazing to know if you guys have this same thing as I'm not sure if its an issue or not.

Try setting in nvidia settings for the 1660ti too be used in all applications. 

10 hours ago, Rkes608 said:

Hi all, Asus are still looking into my case with the over heating. I have raised it too them are they are doing tests. I'd suggest you do the same. It's a good laptop just the bios temp curves are fucked. 

Its looking good on my end as second line Asus support are actually looking to replicate the issue. 

I also spoke with Asus proactive care and they asked me to send in a form with a bunch of information so their engineers can replicate the issue. I called back a few days later to ask about the status of it and they said they don't do that and the only way they can help is if I send my computer in. I'm pretty sure they're just trying to make it seem like they care, but they're not actually doing anything about it.

1 hour ago, dd12rock said:

I also spoke with Asus proactive care and they asked me to send in a form with a bunch of information so their engineers can replicate the issue. I called back a few days later to ask about the status of it and they said they don't do that and the only way they can help is if I send my computer in. I'm pretty sure they're just trying to make it seem like they care, but they're not actually doing anything about it.

People were complaining on twitter and they shitted on then basically. So yeah, it seems that paying 1k bucks on their hardware doesn't deserve their attention at all. What a joke, at this rythm we ain't getting a Bios update until everyone is done with this model and send it back to bargain where it belongs.

Hi all, was adding a ssd to the laptop and I found the issue. 

To fan vents on the bottom are blocked with a plastic film. 

Will attach images to show you but when I cut it out and tested rise of the tomb raider and thief max settings it worked fine. 

Seems like something they did to pack the laptop but not told anyone lol. 

I cut the plastic out all 4 slots on both vents and now all is fine. I emailed Asus, just awaiting a reply. 

IMG_20191209_194721.jpg

IMG_20191209_194717.jpg

IMG_20191209_194711.jpg

IMG_20191209_194704.jpg

14 hours ago, Rkes608 said:

Will attach images to show you but when I cut it out and tested rise of the tomb raider and thief max settings it worked fine. 

I cut the plastic out all 4 slots on both vents and now all is fine. I emailed Asus, just awaiting a reply. 

I've already done this in addition to repasting with Kryonaut. It seemed to help at first but the problem still happens, just less frequently.

8 hours ago, dd12rock said:

I've already done this in addition to repasting with Kryonaut. It seemed to help at first but the problem still happens, just less frequently.

You could have other issues then as I don't have issues anymore, laptop gets around 75 to 85 on heavy loads now for me at 3.9ghz

On 12/10/2019 at 9:25 AM, Rkes608 said:

Did you got an answer from ASUS ? I really like this laptop and i´m still trying to fix the issue before returning it. Btw i mailed them too, even attached a video of the fps drops, they said they were going to analyze and try to replicate the issue.

bought this laptop and having same issues. Overheating and low performance out of the box. I see the plastic covering over the fans at the bottom, but i dont wanna remove them myself to void the warranty. If i exchange this one for a new one, i feel like itll have the same problem. Thinking about just returning this thing for a refund which is a shame cuz i want to like this laptop.