Valve announces Steam Music, making Steam a little more like iTunes

JcGross

Do we really need a beta for every little feature... :/

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Ah cool! I would only use it for games like GTA and shooters, but the idea is really neat. :)

Intergrate Spotify, Last FM and SoundCloud then allow us to add our own music and I'm in :) Something like sound/music detection would be cool so like lets say you play a game and a soundtrack comes on and Steam Music would notify you what the track is and possibly direct you to where you could obtain it.

Definitely. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Do we really need a beta for every little feature... :/

That's exactly what I was thinking about. Steam is getting really annoying with their closed betas. I understand that if something is still in development they can't guarantee it's working (although that never seems to stop EA (oh yes, I went there)) but isn't that what the frickin' "opt in beta" is in the steam options? I mean, why can't they just release it as open beta?

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

They'd need to do a lot more than that if they want to win the living room. Look at the consoles. For the steambox to win, it needs to be more than just a pc. It needs to be able to game as well as play movies and tv and music. Netflix integration would be awesome

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/02/03/coming-soon-to-steam-os-steam-music-integrates-your-music-with-in-game-overlay/

Steam-music.jpg

Steam OS and Big Picture modes will soon include a music interface, as revealed by Valve last week. Gamers will be able to listen to their personal music collection while playing games with the integrated music player, which can organize music by album or artist. For gamers who spend hundreds of hours in a game, this added feature will be an added convenience for anyone who has special playlists for exploring in Skyrim or strategizing in Crusader Kings 2.

Anyone who wants to take part in the Steam Music beta can join the community group; members of the group will receive invites in waves. After pointing Steam to the directory that houses your computer’s music collection, you’ll be able to navigate a display of songs, albums and artists directly from the in-game Steam overlay. For me, a big perk for this type of integration would be managing volume levels without having to alt+tab out to iTunes.

Valve promises that the future of in-game music integration will be based on beta feedback, so participation counts. Head over to the community group, where pleas for integration with streaming music services like Last.fm and Pandora have already begun.

Notes

-Music overlay for SteamOS and Big Picture mode

-You can get in now by joining the Steam Music group

-Beta invites will be in waves

-Let's you "Point Steam to the directory that houses your computer's music collection" so that you can easily play your songs in game

-In-game msuic integration will be evolved over time via community feedback

You can join the group right here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steammusic

Man, took them long enough. Xbox and PlayStation (for example) have had this for quite some time. I mean, there really isn't a huge need for this, since you can just open up your music, minimize it, and then play your game, but if you wanted to switch tracks or something, you would have to minimize your game in order to do so. So, cool, glad to see that they're finally adding this into Steam, even if it is just for Steam's Big Picture mode, for the time being. 

COMIC SANS

Already posted News man

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Already posted News man

Hey hey, I've been a little off with the news the past few days. Cut me some slack man.

;_;

(Plus I didn't see this posted already, I swear.)

COMIC SANS

*Gasp* WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH TOPWARGAMER

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

Can you make a blog? You always seem to be posting nice news and information. I would probably follow you. 

Maybe, maybe, someday, but not today. 

COMIC SANS

Hey hey, I've been a little off with the news the past few days. Cut me some slack man.

;_;

(Plus I didn't see this posted already, I swear.)

<3 I is sowwy

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

The thing is technically Valve does not have to do anything. Since it's on linux you can simply go the desktop and install programs to handle whatever extra functionality you want. The question is does Valve want to take that approach or do they want to make the steam interface the one-stop-shop for everything so that mainstream users don't have to switch to other applications.

steammusic-590x330.png

Remember Software on Steam? No? That’s because the initiative didn’t quite explode in popularity like Valve would’ve hoped. The most notable additions to Steam’s Software library are the countless GameMaker and RPG Maker iterations that flood the category. Now, Valve is moving its efforts to a new non-gaming initiative, Steam Music, but it’s being handled differently than Steam Software.

Probably for the better
Instead of having a store stuffed full of music you can purchase on Steam, Valve’s new program will scrape your local music libraries and add them to one cohesive library within Steam. Borrowing a tactic from a plethora of iOS and Android games, Steam Music aims to let you listen to your own music while you game through Steam, rather than having to listen to a game’s audio tracks on which some poor guy worked too hard to just be bulldozed by your Panic! At the Disco discography.

Steam Music will offer the same comforts of any music player, such as allowing you to organize your library using various filters, and make and manage playlists. It won’t — for now, at least — have a store where you can purchase music. You’re still stuck with Amazon or iTunes.

Seeing as how the Software initiative didn’t explode and become the number one App Store on the internet, Valve appears to be making a smart decision by using the music you already have to populate Steam’s library. Whenever you’re stuck on public transportation or in the bathroom and peruse iOS and Android game reviews out of morbid curiosity, one of the most popular complaints is that the game doesn’t allow you to listen to your own music while playing.

Valve is now mollifying that complaint and giving us the option, although why anyone would want to disrupt the carefully crafted atmosphere of their favorite game by listening to The Used or Nicki Minaj is beyond us.

Valve will launch a beta of the service for Steam Big Picture mode and SteamOS (which are essentially the same thing) soon. To sign up, you can join the group at Steam Music’s community page.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

MAD!

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

My only question is WHY??

because they can and everyone seems to hate itunes

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

My only question is WHY??

If they really want to take over the living room they need music like all the other platforms do

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

If they really want to take over the living room they need music like all the other platforms do

I guess so but... That's kind of un-valveish

because they can and everyone seems to hate itunes

Steam is the new all-in-one hipster app.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Irrelevant in my opinion, though I'd check it out just to see what's what.

GW2: Vettexl.9726

This sensationalist article makes it sound like valve was ever interested in music distribution, and comparing to itunes to generate hits.

Whereas in reality it's probably a feature for playing your existing music while you game in full-screen mode, for people with controllers who don't want to have to exit the steam interface and go to desktop mode and launch vlc and then find a way to get it to play while a fullscreen app is running..