Valve announces Steam Music, making Steam a little more like iTunes

JcGross

Looks like steam is going to implement a music player in big picture mode and steam OS. Interesting, makes me think whether they will put soundtracks and other music in the steam store.

It's going to work like steam sharing in terms of beta participation. Join the group and you have a chance to be selected. There are some games where I would definitely see myself using this service (like civ V or Dirt 3)

I can definitely see some potential in this, especially if they implement the feature to listen to online radio (e.g. Sky FM or 181.fm).

source: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steammusic#announcements/detail/1498873168009439000

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

*whether and it I doubt that they would sell music, I think they know that people purchase/get illegally their music DRM free

*whether and it I doubt that they would sell music, I think they know that people purchase/get illegally their music DRM free

Thanks, corrected. And I don't think it's the worst idea ever. They could at least make soundtracks more available through steam. You could even redeem soundtracks you got from the humble store. There are a lot of possibilities.

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

Intergrate Spotify, Last FM and SoundCloud then allow us to add our own music and I'm in :) Something like sound/music detection would be cool so like lets say you play a game and a soundtrack comes on and Steam Music would notify you what the track is and possibly direct you to where you could obtain it.

Nice, SteamOS definitely needs to aim at being a media Hub if it's ever going to take off. Hopefully this paves the way for video streaming too, the fact they're already scraping metadata for music suggests they are moving in the right direction. Integration of apps has to come too, spotify / Netflix etc etc. So much potential.

Intergrade Spotify, Last FM and SoundCloud then allow us to add our own music and I'm in :) Something like sound/music detection would be cool so like lets say you play a game and a soundtrack comes on and Steam Music would notify you what the track is and possibly direct you to where you could obtain it.

This. SC and Spotify wil be awesome and to import files wil be amazing.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I wouldn't dismiss the idea yet. I mean who's to say they won't change it to a streaming service like Pandora or Spotify? :)

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

If steam starts to sell music some day how much of your life valve "own" after that?

Signatures are stupid.

If steam starts to sell music some day how much of your life valve "own" after that?

TBH I still wouldn't buy music. Maybe if discographies would go for $10.

I'm not sure what your point is here, are you concerned about how much of your media would they in fact control due to DRM? If they release a DRM controlled music service? There's nothing to suggest that's the route they are going. Besides there are so many different options for obtaining music.

Thus far all they are making available is a music player which scrapes metadata for album art / artist info, which will almost 100% guaranteed play non DRM music files. I think it's a massive jump to suggest that Steam would attempt to lock people into 'walled garden' music service. Based on this beta. 

I'm not sure what your point is here, are you concerned about how much of your media would they in fact control due to DRM? If they release a DRM controlled music service? There's nothing to suggest that's the route they are going. Besides there are so many different options for obtaining music.

My point is just that let's say steam start selling music and movies at some point in time, most people here already have most of their games on steam, then some people would just buy their entertainment there if there is a good library with a good price.

Signatures are stupid.

I think they might integrate Pandora and spotify, and let you add your own files, but not sell it. This way it's just a music hub, and they don't have to bother with licensing or the like.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

ughhh.gif

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

Steam just announced a music player portion to big picture and steam os bringing it closer the the capabilities of a modern console os. Thoughts, feelings?

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steammusic

Intel Core i7 4790K >> MSI Z87I Gaming AC (MS-7887) >> G.Skill Ripjaws 2133 16GB >> Zotac GTX 980 >> Corsair 250D >> Samsung 840 Evo 250GB >> OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W >> Acer K2 27" Widescreen LED Monitor  (K272HLBMID) >> Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 MX Brown Switch Red RGB LED 87KEYS Mechanical Keyboard >> Mionix Avior 7000 >> HyperX Cloud

Sorry didn't see it.

Intel Core i7 4790K >> MSI Z87I Gaming AC (MS-7887) >> G.Skill Ripjaws 2133 16GB >> Zotac GTX 980 >> Corsair 250D >> Samsung 840 Evo 250GB >> OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W >> Acer K2 27" Widescreen LED Monitor  (K272HLBMID) >> Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 MX Brown Switch Red RGB LED 87KEYS Mechanical Keyboard >> Mionix Avior 7000 >> HyperX Cloud

i just use vlc, i bet others use foobar, no need for this, alt+tab, its amazing try it some time.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

i just use vlc, i bet others use foobar, no need for this, alt+tab, its amazing try it some time.

I use AIMP3 but I don't want to alt+tab every time. And then there's the problem of adjusting the volumes, the overlay may crash because of the constant alt+tabbing, it can cause various instabilities, all in all, that's why there's a web browser already integrated in the overlay. Convenience. Not to mention it would be a basic feature on SteamOS (i guess). Stick in a video player and you've got yourself a media center.

Hmm, I might actually start selling music I accumulated over the years and make it Steam exclusive, if they will have their own streaming based service, but it doesn't look like they do at the get go.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Considering that SteamOS needs some media features in order to be competitive feature wise to the consoles, this is a good thing. I just hope they implement more media focused features and access to streaming services like Netflix.

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

I'm probably in a minority but I'm not too big on playing my own music while playing games. It ruins the atmosphere depending on the game.

This is a cool feature nonetheless especially while sitting idle. 

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

This is awesome now they just need to integrate a Movie player into it :D

Steam already has a movie player. it not many movies. I watched Indie game the Movie from steam/its in my steam games.

Steam already has a movie player. it not many movies. I watched Indie game the Movie from steam/its in my steam games.

I didn't even know that :o

RTX2070OC 

I didn't even know that :o

Alot of people don't i didn't even know until i got that movie for free.....