Valve announces Steam Music, making Steam a little more like iTunes

JcGross

I like this because it will allow me to listen to the game and my music when I am playing games like CS:S and Civ 5

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

I'm actually looking forward to this. The further away I can move from Apple the better. To be honest, ever since Steve Jobs passed, their technologies aren't as cool anymore. They're ripping ideas off of android phones and throwing it in, and society doesn't even realize it. The only reason they are still in business is Middle and High schoolers jumping on the bandwagon. 

That's just my opinion however. You're entitled to your own.

//CCap

//ccap

Smart move lord Gaben. If they're going to listen to music while they game, do it through the program in which they use to game. Lowers use on cpu & allows more cohesive switching between game and other things.

Don't forget, Valve is jumping into the living room, I'd expect this 100% to be on SteamOS

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh no...

...it's the apocalypse! Valve is turning into the new Apple. When should we expect the new ValveBook Pro?

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

I'm actually looking forward to this. The further away I can move from Apple the better.

How will this help in moving away from Apple?

If all you want is a media player then there are already plenty of alternatives to itunes.

If you want to replace the itunes music store functionality Steam is not in that business.

because they can and everyone seems to hate itunes

itunes use to be a decent piece of software. But now its so full of bugs it would be impossible for them to fix it.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

I see no purpose for this for desktop users... Maybe for steamboxes... Maybe.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

itunes use to be a decent piece of software. But now its so full of bugs it would be impossible for them to fix it.

ive used itunes for 2 years without many issues

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

ive used itunes for 2 years without many issues

I did too. But within the past few months its gotten really unstable. It crashes alot on any computer I put it on and makes it really hard to authenticate new computers.

I did too. But within the past few months its gotten really unstable. It crashes alot on any computer I put it on and makes it really hard to authenticate new computers.

you can only authenticate 5 computers at a time a year

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Wow, I couldn't care less.

I think they're only adding this so users can play music through Big Picture on a Steam Box.

the support for changing your music while in game.....

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I think they're only adding this so users can play music through Big Picture on a Steam Box.

Saves having to use a second program to achieve the same result. Beneficial for all platforms really, for people who need the feature. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Yeah but when I remove one of the 5 computers it never works. Its still says there are 5. So I have to remove all 5 and authenticate each computer separately.

They are testing the software with you musice before likely adding the ability to buy or possibly stream right in it. This is excatly what I was talking about when steamos/steam machines were announced but no one believed me.

I think they will eventually either have their own music service or have popular ones integrated in.

They are testing the software with you musice before likely adding the ability to buy or possibly stream right in it. This is excatly what I was talking about when steamos/steam machines were announced but no one believed me.

probably i would say it would be a music player first for a long while yet

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

probably i would say it would be a music player first for a long while yet

Well its beta and theyll need services once steam boxes are going to be available. I doubt they will ever remove the music player bit of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like steam is going to implement a music player in big picture mode and steam OS. Interesting, makes me think whether they will put soundtracks and other music in the steam store.

It's going to work like steam sharing in terms of beta participation. Join the group and you have a chance to be selected. There are some games where I would definitely see myself using this service (like civ V or Dirt 3)

I can definitely see some potential in this, especially if they implement the feature to listen to online radio (e.g. Sky FM or 181.fm).

source: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steammusic#announcements/detail/1498873168009439000

In all honesty, I think that Steam's Big Picture mode basically needs to be primarily a game platform, as that's what Valve does best, but also replace Windows Media Center + XBMC. If they can pull that off, integrating WMC, Spotify, SoundCloud, Last.FM, and XBMC/VLC into one package for Big Picture mode, I'm in. Understandably, the SteamGame portion of their implementation would be closed-source and DRM'd, but the rest of the integration should be wide open, or only as restricted as the individual service included.

Currently I own Zero Zip Zilch Nada 0 Apple Devices, save for a lonely iPod Classic 80GB, and really want to find something as easy for my family to use as the AppleTV, but not be locked into things only compatible with iTunes. Oh, and NO DRM on media. Whilst I believe SteamOS could mature into what I'm aiming for here, I still find a stable install of Windows 7 Pro, Ubuntu, or similar, with stable hardware, is my best solution.

DRM and fair payment are the prime reasons I buy physical CD's/DVD's, or go the way of Bandcamp/Soundcloud/Independent; I love to support good artists and am willing to pay them for works I enjoy, but due to entities known as the Rekording Industry, I find it difficult to do that without 60-90% of the profit never reaching the artist, and without having listened to an album before purchasing, I never know what's actually good, and what's hype. For me it's the same mentality as paying more for a live performance VS. a recording. An experience VS. tangible goods. I'd rather dump $20 into a street performer's guitar case for an afternoon of music at the beach, than purchase his album for $12 knowing he's only ever going to see $1-4 profit.

Polite comments are welcomed, as I've been thinking about writing up a good article on how copyright/piracy/DRM has both been a benefit and detriment society.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Screenshot%202014-02-06%2016.58.53.png

Or this. Foobar <3

what theme is that?

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball