WAN Show Oct 11, what happened

Just now, qwerty77asdf said:

Yeah, noticed that too, about to check if it is still up on twitch.

Nope its down there too, they probably killed both at once.

It's there for me.
Youtube often takes a little bit of time before you can see the streamed video appear in the uploads list.

The part that has me scratching my head is. "1 week ago" ?

Hey Linus and Luke. If you do see this. I actually didn't have a problem with what you guys were saying. You just can't please everyone.

bliz.JPG

Edited by Crash Dummy

Just now, THISMOTHARIGHTHERE said:

Nope its down there too, they probably killed both at once.

They being?

It cut out in the middle of a sentence, I don't think LTT intentionally cut it-- seems like a mistake?

They should have just moved past the fucking topic but they stayed waaaaayyyyy to long to defend a point and it only came off as deflection. I literally couldn't have filmed a scene of two people desperately scrambling to appease people and failing. Plus the phone constantly going off LMAO.  (((ITS BACK UP)))

2 minutes ago, qwerty77asdf said:

Yeah, noticed that too, about to check if it is still up on twitch.

Just did, it's down there as well.

Seems like they realized talking about fucking genocide and brutality, isn't good for their channel.

Especially not when it might seem like you agree with the decisions of people/companies that support that shit

They expressed that as a company or an organization that the customers ($$) are most important so keeping unrelated issues out of the sport or game is the right idea. 

I'm sure someone would have preferred Jesse Owens do that too during the Olympics. 

It was reprehensible and they rightly got called out for it. Sometimes the corporate dollar isn't the decider on what is right. 

Just now, Danish Bacon said:

Just did, it's down there as well.

Seems like they realized talking about fucking genocide and brutality, isn't good for their channel.

Especially not when it might seem like you agree with the decisions of people/companies that support that shit

They weren't talking about genocide and brutality except to state that they weren't taking sides. At the end they were stating that they did not have a public side of the argument.

9 minutes ago, Danish Bacon said:

It went down, and a couple minutes later it was gone from YouTube.

They talked about Blizzard and where a bit too supportive of blizzards decision

Twitch is just being twitch. Stream's back up on YouTube.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 minutes ago, qwerty77asdf said:

They weren't talking about genocide and brutality except to state that they weren't taking sides. At the end they were stating that they did not have a public side of the argument.

They literally said "genocide". And then joked about it. Bad idea. Very bad idea.

Sure they didn't joke about the genocide in China, but they did try to evade the topic through a joke.

It was fairly ominous timing.

They were not supportive of China. They were critical of Blizzards extreme and sudden response to this individual but supportive of the general idea that esport events should be about esports... which necessarily implies some form of moderation of this type.

That seemed the main thrust of their commentary. Completely reasonable. I’m pretty baffled by the comments.

Just now, Censure said:

It was fairly ominous timing.

They were not supportive of China. They were critical of Blizzards extreme and sudden response to this individual but supportive of the general idea that esport events should be about esports... which necessarily implies some form of moderation of this type.

That seemed the main thrust of their commentary. Completely reasonable. I’m pretty baffled by the comments.

Reasonable yes, but their reasons are not so clean.

Linus, should have stated their stance before even starting

1 minute ago, Danish Bacon said:

Linus, should have stated their stance before even starting

or wait til the end, listen to everything they have to say before reading a book by its cover 0,o

7 minutes ago, Danish Bacon said:

They literally said "genocide". And then joked about it. Bad idea. Very bad idea.

Sure they didn't joke about the genocide in China, but they did try to evade the topic through a joke.

They joked about someone claiming they supported genocide. It was a ridiculous claim worth mocking.

It’s important to differentiate between the subject and the target of a joke.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

I'm surprised the Blizzard topic got discussed at all on the wan show,considering both related topics weren't allowed in the forum.

The topic was allowed on the forum until it devolved into a political discussion, which they touched on during the show.

This one might too, so I'm gonna put my "In before the lock" here.

All I can say is that as a fan of Linus Tech Tips, any defense of Blizzard is indefensible in and of itself. This is a clear case of censorship for monetary reasons. Considering the significant financial stake that a Chinese company has in Blizzard, nothing more.

@LinusTech I appreciate that you don't allow political discussions, but sooner or later you're going to have to either find a clear distinction between when something goes from being a tech discussion, and a political discussion. Because going forward, I only see the two topics overlapping more and more frequently.

What with all the shenanigans going on with social media being used by state actors to influence elections one way or another (not pointing to one side alone, or "both" sides in that regards, just stating that it is happening in some way shape or form).

Sooner or later, everyone has to take a stance. Neutrality is nice, up until the point you can no longer remain neutral because one or both sides are going to be angry at you for being neutral. Because sooner or later it becomes "if you're not with us, you're against us". And eventually, one side will say "you're just remaining neutral, waiting to see which side will win so you can choose that side".

I'll give it to you, at least you called them lawful evil. Although I'd prefer to just call it evil.

Barring politics in general, I can see, barring politics as they relate to technology, is a problem. The only options I see are either to allow any of it, or none of it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

19 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

They said blizzards decision was allowed on their part, but they did not support the decision. 

There is a big difference to being allowed to do something and supporting the decision. Amazon could ban me from shopping there for no reason (any business has a right to refuse service to anyone in the US, free speech extends to corporations). However there would be no reason for amazon to do this since I am a happy paying customer, so I would not support their decision.

The problem there, is context matters. A major stakeholder in their company is a Chinese company with ties to the Chinese government, and one of their biggest markets, is China itself.

I could invoke Godwin's law here, and it would be valid.

Spoiler

If they banned someone for condemning the holocaust, 98% of the population of the planet would be pissed at them.

I feel like the same thing applies here. Mainly because the government in question has killed FAR more people. And is actively committing similar acts against a religious people.

21 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

All I can say is that as a fan of Linus Tech Tips, any defense of Blizzard is indefensible in and of itself.

"Some of Blizzard's games don't completely suck."

"Say what you like about Blizzard, but at least they're not Comcast."

"Blizzard didn't actually do anything actively illegal. In this instance."

2 hours ago, Sceptic said:

"Some of Blizzard's games don't completely suck."

"Say what you like about Blizzard, but at least they're not Comcast."

"Blizzard didn't actually do anything actively illegal. In this instance."

I'd call doing the bidding of a hostile foreign power illegal.

On 10/11/2019 at 8:32 PM, Blademaster91 said:

I'm surprised the Blizzard topic got discussed at all on the wan show,considering both related topics weren't allowed in the forum.

On 10/11/2019 at 9:54 PM, QXC said:

The topic was allowed on the forum until it devolved into a political discussion, which they touched on during the show.

This one might too, so I'm gonna put my "In before the lock" here.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:42 PM, Trik'Stari said:

All I can say is that as a fan of Linus Tech Tips, any defense of Blizzard is indefensible in and of itself. This is a clear case of censorship for monetary reasons. Considering the significant financial stake that a Chinese company has in Blizzard, nothing more.

@LinusTech I appreciate that you don't allow political discussions, but sooner or later you're going to have to either find a clear distinction between when something goes from being a tech discussion, and a political discussion. Because going forward, I only see the two topics overlapping more and more frequently.

What with all the shenanigans going on with social media being used by state actors to influence elections one way or another (not pointing to one side alone, or "both" sides in that regards, just stating that it is happening in some way shape or form).

Sooner or later, everyone has to take a stance. Neutrality is nice, up until the point you can no longer remain neutral because one or both sides are going to be angry at you for being neutral. Because sooner or later it becomes "if you're not with us, you're against us". And eventually, one side will say "you're just remaining neutral, waiting to see which side will win so you can choose that side".

I'll give it to you, at least you called them lawful evil. Although I'd prefer to just call it evil.

Barring politics in general, I can see, barring politics as they relate to technology, is a problem. The only options I see are either to allow any of it, or none of it.

my post about it didnt get deleted just move to general and the 8chan shutting down topic that was posted in tech news and didnt get moved was 100 times more political than my post imo especially since nobody was really debating about the political side as i dont think anyone in this forum supports china cracking down on hong kong the discussion is mainly about blizzard's policy and whether they dealt with it fairly which isnt really political