PSA to those in California

Zodiark1593
12 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

It's even warmer here in AZ but we don't have nearly the problems CA does.

California tends to get more rain is why. Here at least, brief periods of heavy rain provides an opportunity for grasses and other shrubbery to grow rapidly. Then the long dry periods convert those into flammable fuel. Less resilient tree species may also die during this time as well.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

California tends to get more rain is why. Here at least, brief periods of heavy rain provides an opportunity for grasses and other shrubbery to grow rapidly. Then the long dry periods convert those into flammable fuel.

We also maintain out power grid far better and keep our power line right of ways clearer.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

8 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

We also maintain out power grid far better and keep our power line right of ways clearer.

less fires too ;)

the list could go on and on right

34 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

less fires too ;)

the list could go on and on right

Laugh all you want, Laughing Boy, but it's still true. I used to work for SRP, a major electric power and irrigation utility in AZ. Whenever I travel, I'm always comparing the power grid with what we have here in AZ whenever I travel out of State. Compared to the infrastruction three major utilities in AZ (SRP being #2 in size), what CA has is ancient and in pathetic condition.

We have fewer and smaller fires because we have less to burn but we also manage what we have far better. SRP and APS (the largest electric utility in AZ) frequently send crews to CA to help rebuild burned electric grid infrastructure but we never need any help from CA.

We also do not have deliberate blackouts to compenste for the danger of fires being caused by an inferior electric infrastructure.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 minute ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Laugh all you want, Laughing Boy, but it's still true. I used to work for SRP, a major electric power and irrigation utility in AZ. Whenever I travel, I'm always comparing the power grid with what we have here in AZ whenever I travel out of State. Compared to the infrastruction three major utilities in AZ (SRP being #2 in size), what CA has is ancient and in pathetic condition.

We have fewer and smaller fires because we have less to burn but we also manage what we have far better. SRP and APS (the largest electric utility in AZ) frequently send crews to CA to help rebuild burned electric grid infrastructure but we never need any help from CA.

We also do not have deliberate blackouts to compenste for the danger of fires being caused by an inferior electric infrastructure.

California's infrastructure is laughably horrible in damn near every aspect.

Actually, not even laughable as it's a state with 34+ million people. It's just sad and tells me that the state just pisses its tax revenue away.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

8 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

It's just sad and tells me that the state just pisses its tax revenue away.

you are being too kind

its not just the state that pisses the tax money away

at every level of government they piss it away like its nothing!

10 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

California tends to get more rain is why. Here at least, brief periods of heavy rain provides an opportunity for grasses and other shrubbery to grow rapidly. Then the long dry periods convert those into flammable fuel. Less resilient tree species may also die during this time as well.

The power company should be activly fixing the problems though. Here in Michigan, we do get rain but it can hit triple digits. Fires happen here to due to it being dry. Our power company actility trims trees near power lines and in some cases they will cut trees down. Seems like the utility out there needs to take a more active approch in solving problems. Keep the trees away from the lines and that solves many of the issues there. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 10/7/2019 at 7:06 PM, Zodiark1593 said:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/10/07/severe-winds-could-trigger-widespread-pge-deliberate-blackouts/

Tl'dr, the potential for PG&E blackouts across some very large swaths of the state that could take place mid-week. I hate this bloody state (power shutoffs certaibly aren't the sole reason, though they don't exactly add to the list of good things about California either). -_-

Not much more to say here. If you reside in the Bay Area, charge your laptops and battery banks (in the off chance that mobile carriers actually deem us worthy to provide backup power for their transponders this time). Probably best not to buy lots of perishables unless you happen to have a generator lying around, which would probably be better served powering your tv or PC anyway (because PC enthusiast forum). Resist the urge to loot your neighborhood, or at least, ask nicely before looting. Etc, etc, etc.

I know that the Governor has passed laws forcing PG&E to upgrade it's infrastructure so, that should help reduce the number of shutoffs. Also laws were passed to tighten regulation of PG&E that will help also. I live on the central coast of California and it is not affected by the power shutoffs. The only thing that has affected the central coast recently was the Thomas Fire in 2017.

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

On 11/18/2019 at 7:30 PM, Donut417 said:

The power company should be activly fixing the problems though. Here in Michigan, we do get rain but it can hit triple digits. Fires happen here to due to it being dry. Our power company actility trims trees near power lines and in some cases they will cut trees down. Seems like the utility out there needs to take a more active approch in solving problems. Keep the trees away from the lines and that solves many of the issues there. 

Im sure they would love to cut down trees and do controlled burns. Problem is the damn hippies wont let them. For a place full of stuck up environmental people they sure dont mind miles and miles of wild fires every year polluting the sky.

I swear California has turned into a third world country at this point. A few years ago about 20 people i knew moved down there to work on pot fields. They were rolling in money and having a blast. I think maybe 3 of them are still there. It went from "California is my dream location" to "fuck that place i dont even want to visit there again".