ram: how are we suppose to know which ram to pick if we dont know the gains or benefits?

how are we suppose to know which ram to pick if we dont know the gains or benefits?

we need to know how much the ram is worth

1. how much benefit does various ram speed give if you're watching a youtube?
  2. how much benefit does other ram specs give if you're watching a youtube?
  3. how much benefit does various ram speed give if you have the app discord open?
  4. how much benefit does other ram specs give if you have the app discord open?

take cpu 2200g as the example,

the main thing that i've taken away about ram so far seems to be:

1. ram brand does not matter
  2. all ram made in same factory

we can just get ddr1 or ddr2 then? at any speed? and other ram specs?

how are we suppose to know which ram to pick if we dont know the gains or benefits?

we need to know how much the ram is worth

how are we suppose to build a pc without knowing the gains? isnt it just better and easier to get a premade desktop or laptop?

What even is this question? Really, seriously?

Why are you saying "why not get DDR1 or DDR2?" What does that have to do with anything?

No, not all RAM comes from the same factory. Majority of the RAM vendors (such as Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, G.Skill, etc.) use memory chips from the main three vendors (Micron (mother company of Crucial), Samsung or SK Hynix), but that hardly means it's all from the same factory..

DDR versions will not be cross-compatible. Higher speeds will only really help when you're running a lot of data through it, e.g. during gaming or video editing.

The amount of RAM will help in more multi-tasked use-cases. Like having a couple programs open at the same time.

By all means, if you don't want to find out what is the correct option, take the easy way out and get a pre-built or laptop. If RAM choice deters you from speccing out your own PC, some other parts of finding a PC build might scare you too.

But in general, just get some 3000Mhz+ memory, DDR4 (if you board takes that) from a decent brand.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It seems to more be a metaphysical pondering rather than criticism on DDR "generations".

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Guessing Google translate had it's part in making the "questions" hard to understand.

I edit my posts more often than not

without having a good idea, there would be no way to value any pcs out there 

without any good ways to value, there would be no possible way to know what is better or best

On 10/6/2019 at 1:57 PM, Tan3l6 said:

metaphysical pondering rather than criticism on DDR "generations"

what do you mean?

do you know the answer to the questions asked?

and what are good sites for the informative & helpful info?

4 hours ago, win10user10 said:

are there any good sites or sources for this claim?

would be good to tell that person that possible had inaccurate info in the link

It's basically public notice at this point there are three main manufacturers of memory chips (which gets soldered onto a board and then you call it 'RAM').

If you just simply look at the location of the factories (and assume the manufacturers are not lying), you can see there is:

1. not just one facility

2. manufacturers don't seem to share facilities. Period.

(Couldn't find official info on where SK Hynix manufactures:

https://www.micron.com/about/locations

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/about-us/location/manufacturing-centers/

It's also public knowledge at this point that companies like Corsair and G.Skill and such use different brands of memory chips interchanably; you can even see that when CPU-Z and going into the 'SPD' tab.

Only with Crucial RAM you know you're getting a certain manufacturer; Micron, the mother company of Crucial.

looks like that answers the question, guess we can get any ram of any type and it wont matter

i guess that means we should just get the lowest cost/priced ram

are there any way for any of us to know this helpful info easily? any good sites for example?

Go to PCPartPicker, to the RAM section, choose the application DDR-type, GB amount and setup (i.e. 2x8GB), Speed (I would recommend 3000+ Mhz) and then just check what is the cheapest option from a good manufacturer.

seems that the 'correct' is any ram and that it doesnt matter from what was been said

Sure.

You can look a lot more into it, for example for overclocking you might want to make different decisions.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

DDR ddr2 ddr3 can't put into ddr4 slot...so if you're on ddr4 system your slowest ram is 2133 I think...but for youtube and discord it doesn't really matter...

Basically the gain are in nanosecond...and you can see benchmark for the transfer rate of different ram speed on YouTube I forgot who's was it he did a test for many timing...

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X 4.3Ghz (-0.1V)
  • Motherboard
    MSI MEG X570 ACE
  • RAM
    G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) F4-3200C16D-32GTRS
  • GPU
    GeForce RTX™ 3060 EAGLE OC 12G (rev. 2.0)
  • Case
    Cooler Master MASTERBOX MB520 ARGB + Cooler Master MasterFan MF120R ARGB
  • Storage
    ADATA XPG SX8100 2TB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD
    ADATA Ultimate SU800 2TB 2.5" SSD
    Toshiba X300 4TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache
    TOSHIBA MG06 (MG06ACA10TE) 10TB 3.5 Inch 7200RPM Enterprise SATA Hard Drive
  • PSU
    Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 FULL MODULAR
  • Display(s)
    Acer KG271B Gaming Monitor (HDR Ready 27" 1920X1080 240Hz) + MSI PRO MP241
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R RGB
  • Keyboard
    MSI Vigor GK80 RED GAMING KEYBOARD
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red Edition Wired Laser Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
  • Router
    Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX 11000

7 hours ago, win10user10 said:

do you mean within the company itself thes companies use different brands rams, or are you saying when they sell the ram it's diff brands from same cmpany?

RAM is an entire stick of random accesible memory. This 'RAM' module consists of multiple pieces, including the 'motherboard' you actually hold when working with your RAM.

That would look a little something like this:

kingston-8gb-ddr4-2400mhz-pc-ram-kvr24n17s8-8-acomtech-1707-08-Acomtech@1.jpg

The black pieces on this stick of RAM is called 'memory'. This 'memory' is received from 1 of three manufacturers. What I am saying is that multiple manufacturers use these memory chips from the same manufacturers.

So manufacturers like Corsair, G.Skill, Team, Adata, Kingston, etc. etc. will use SK.Hyinx or Samsung memory chips. In that way you could make the argument that these RAM sticks are 'from the same manufacturer', because the most important part of the RAM stick (the memory chips) come from the same/similar manufacturers.

If you want to know more about what I am talking about, you should look up the word 'OEM'. Techquickie has a decent video about it.

i dont see anything for 'application' on https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/

Oh sorry, not sure how that 'application' word appeared there.. 

You can choose the DDR type on the side at speed:

Spoiler

image.png.bed47b3d6702c7e835848b2998a357f5.png

2 minutes ago, win10user10 said:

1. so you're about many ram makers 

2. and that these ram makers get the 'memory chips' from the same 3 memory chip manufacturers?

3. so you're talking about 2 different kinds of 'manufacturers', you're talking about the memory chip makers, and the ram makers

4. but you didnt differentiate or distinguish what kinds of 'manufacturers' you were talking about and this is why it was so confusing 

OK.

Let's call the memory chips (those black rectangles) Chip A

There are 3 companies that make Chip A: Micron, SK Hynix, and Samsung

Now, RAM(the actual stick, like the casing+Chip A+anything else) as a whole is made by many companies(Corsair, G.Skill, Crucial, etc etc)

So there are 3 companies that make Chip A, but many that make RAM sticks. The companies that make RAM get some of their parts from the companies that make Chip A

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

4 minutes ago, win10user10 said:

1. so you're about many ram makers 

2. and that these ram makers get the 'memory chips' from the same 3 memory chip manufacturers?

3. so you're talking about 2 different kinds of 'manufacturers', you're talking about the memory chip makers, and the ram makers

4. but you didnt differentiate or distinguish what kinds of 'manufacturers' you were talking about and this is why it was so confusing 

Couple of memory chip manufacturers (Micron, SK Hynix and Samsung, plus some more smaller companies)

Multiple more RAM manufacturers (Corsair, Crucial, G.SKill, Team, Crucial, etc.)

Most of the RAM manufacturers buy chips from multiple of the memory chip manufacturers (Crucial only getting Micron chips from my experience, since Micron is Crucial's mother company).

This is not necessarily a bad thing.. It's kind of similar to a multiple car companies (e.g. Volkswagen, Chevrolet, etc. etc.) getting tires or engine parts from the same company.

That would not even be a weird thing. The companies like Corsair and G.Skill are not in the business of manufacturing every tiny part, but they are in the business of making an entire product; RAM.

On 10/6/2019 at 7:42 PM, win10user10 said:

without having a good idea, there would be no way to value any pcs out there 

without any good ways to value, there would be no possible way to know what is better or best

what do you mean?

do you know the answer to the questions asked?

and what are good sites for the informative & helpful info?

You might as well ask what color Tuesday is. Some questions don't make sense and cannot be answered.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, win10user10 said:

are there any way for any of us to know what speed to get, or if it would matter?

You can check reviews to show you where the diminishing return is.

On most systems, 3000Mhz/3200Mhz is the best price for performance. Although 3600Mhz can help on Ryzen 3000

28 minutes ago, win10user10 said:

are there any way for any of us to know what speed to get, or if it would matter?

the mobo chipsets actually has specified some ram speed spec that will work, any faster speed is labeled "OC" 

51 minutes ago, win10user10 said:

would any of that matter or be helpful in any of this?

nah..it doesn't really matter that much for normal consumer..=x...go around and ask you friends who don't watch tech channels and go to tech forms..they won't know the difference...

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X 4.3Ghz (-0.1V)
  • Motherboard
    MSI MEG X570 ACE
  • RAM
    G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) F4-3200C16D-32GTRS
  • GPU
    GeForce RTX™ 3060 EAGLE OC 12G (rev. 2.0)
  • Case
    Cooler Master MASTERBOX MB520 ARGB + Cooler Master MasterFan MF120R ARGB
  • Storage
    ADATA XPG SX8100 2TB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD
    ADATA Ultimate SU800 2TB 2.5" SSD
    Toshiba X300 4TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache
    TOSHIBA MG06 (MG06ACA10TE) 10TB 3.5 Inch 7200RPM Enterprise SATA Hard Drive
  • PSU
    Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 FULL MODULAR
  • Display(s)
    Acer KG271B Gaming Monitor (HDR Ready 27" 1920X1080 240Hz) + MSI PRO MP241
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R RGB
  • Keyboard
    MSI Vigor GK80 RED GAMING KEYBOARD
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red Edition Wired Laser Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
  • Router
    Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX 11000

5 hours ago, win10user10 said:

are you saying we should go for ddr1 or ddr2 then?

DDR[number] are not backwards nor forwards compatible. In other words, you can use DDR4 as slow as you'd like, but it has to be DDR4 for currently made CPUs. 

It also cant be registered/buffered memory, those work differently

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 3:49 AM, minibois said:

can check reviews

1. what sites shows tests for youtube then if you're saying?

On 10/24/2019 at 3:54 AM, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

mobo chipsets

2. isnt the range of the ram limits on mobo pretty large? if so then how would you decide on speed?

On 10/24/2019 at 4:20 AM, ZephCloud said:

doesn't really matter s..they won't know the difference...

3. if it dont matter then why say unhelpful & irrelevant info that answer the question in op then ('shows the latency at each speed and cl rating...') ? this clutters up the thread, 

and is unhelpful to all of us

and confuses all of us

On 10/24/2019 at 9:26 AM, Jurrunio said:

has to be DDR4

4. most imporant question, where can we find an outline overview of all of these basic facts / info on ram and everything else? this way we dont have to ask questions for every single thing

1 hour ago, win10user10 said:

1. what sites shows tests for youtube then if you're saying?

Video reviews of faster RAM (AMD.. Intel.. etc. can differ):

Spoiler

2. isnt the range of the ram limits on mobo pretty large? if so then how would you decide on speed?

CPU's usually support up to 2400-2666 or 2933Mhz, but the mobo can OC the memory further. You pick the speed which makes the most sense for your budget and build.

4. most imporant question, where can we find an outline overview of all of these basic facts / info on ram and everything else? this way we dont have to ask questions for every single thing

TechQuickie is a decent starting point when doing research on anything.

Spoiler

I call it a 'starting point' for research, because they do (over)simplify stuff quite a bit.