Hi, im new, welcome to myself :D

Hella
Go to solution Solved by Franck,

here a video explaining a bit about how it works :

You can simply draw layers of images with different stretch. You do need to calculate few 3d matrix but you can simply use the transformation on a 2d image to get the result.

hii, nice to meet yo, welcome to die.  Im looking for an engine to make a classic fps, like duke nukem 3d, i saw some funky stuff like SkullTag, the modified version of doom engine , but im not sure if i could sell my game after finish it, or even the lenguaje that u have to know, any idea? thanks buddies

Not judging if this is a good or bad idea..

But if you're gonna use someone else's code in a project of yourself you intent to sell, you should read up on the license they use. Some licenses require you to release your code as open-source if you base it off their code. That doesn't mean you can't sell it (the compiled version for example), but does require your changes to be public.

What kind of experience with programming do you have? What kind of 3D or 2D frameworks have you used already?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Hi, new buddie, well i use to work with unity, havent made a lot, in fact, i have only work with the 2d libraries of. But im just playing a mod of this thing, at least, that its what Wikipedia says, that grezzo due its made by the modded doom engine called, skulltag, but it seems to ve discontinued and dosent seems to be a game engine as unity its, but more like a mood tool, or an extended mood tool of the original doom engine, whict, if im correct, isnt freeware but u could compile it to make your own game engine, but this its just to work when you just can do at unity, maybe it wont look like my childhood games but, it will be much easier, and i could even put, i dont know, raytracing XDD

I code at c#, welcome to myself, welcome to die, knife to meet you, i want to make some kind of grezzo2 but without steal sprites and of the shitty politicians of my country, spain.

28 minutes ago, Hella said:

Hi, new buddie, well i use to work with unity, havent made a lot, in fact, i have only work with the 2d libraries of. But im just playing a mod of this thing, at least, that its what Wikipedia says, that grezzo due its made by the modded doom engine called, skulltag, but it seems to ve discontinued and dosent seems to be a game engine as unity its, but more like a mood tool, or an extended mood tool of the original doom engine, whict, if im correct, isnt freeware but u could compile it to make your own game engine, but this its just to work when you just can do at unity, maybe it wont look like my childhood games but, it will be much easier, and i could even put, i dont know, raytracing XDD

I code at c#, welcome to myself, welcome to die, knife to meet you, i want to make some kind of grezzo2 but without steal sprites and of the shitty politicians of my country, spain.

Reason I mentioned how well versed you are with 2D and 3D libraries (and programming in general) is because making an engine is a really complicated task. And you know what they say 'can't start learning how to run, without knowing how to walk first'.

I have no doubt anyone - with enough perseverance - can create an engine, but you might just overwhelm yourself with a lot of tasks at once, instead of slowly learning it in a normal pace by working on smaller projects.

What I am kind of saying is.. An engine is like a big building, but if you don't know how to make a brick, concrete, girders or any other supporting structures, making an entire building will be very difficult.

Why not try to create a doom-like game in Unity right now? Would be easier to get started with, but still highly expandable.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yea, that what was i was meaning, but you know, i wanted to know if there is a way to build as our ancestors XDDD used to do, with all the old stuff, like not be able to open a door horizontally, XD but you are kind of right, probably use a modern engine will fit perfectly

If you want to do like the original doom (which works the same way as Wolfenstein). It's actually a 2d map with 3d projection. Kinda clever but also very simple to code. Depending on the language of your choice there is some open source code to generate these. You do NOT need a 3d library to generate such a game. It has been done in excel. Alls you need is a drawing image library which is way enough to generate similar quality visual as these game in excess of 1000 fps.

so its kind of seven mode, but still there is poligonal structures, like the walls, how can i achieve this? and what shall i do? use a 3d enviroment and use this trick to the npc sprites and the gameobjects?

here a video explaining a bit about how it works :

You can simply draw layers of images with different stretch. You do need to calculate few 3d matrix but you can simply use the transformation on a 2d image to get the result.

omfg this people are fuckin geniuses, thanks for the video, it actually made understand the Wikipedia info XDD thanks buddie, i will work about this, i want to make my true shitty spain grezzo and Binary space partitioning its just an amazing way to work, i hope to be able to manage, sounds pretty complex. 

19 hours ago, Hella said:

omfg this people are fuckin geniuses, thanks for the video, it actually made understand the Wikipedia info XDD thanks buddie, i will work about this, i want to make my true shitty spain grezzo and Binary space partitioning its just an amazing way to work, i hope to be able to manage, sounds pretty complex. 

John Carmack is an incredibly skilled. I'd highly suggest reading through some of the game engine breakdowns from Fabien Sanglard; he digs in to DOOM, Duke Nukem, Quake, and a few other games to see what makes them tick. He also has 2 "black books" (one for Wolfenstein3D and one for DOOM). He also has further reading suggestions at the bottom of his posts, which might be worthwhile for you, as well.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)