What will happen to CPUs and GPUs once they reach their maximum amount of switches inside?

Yellowpanda

I've always wondered how GPUs and CPUs will end up in 20 years or so, but there's only so much you can do with the CPUs and GPUs before you have to increase their size or change the way they compute for a faster and more compact method. What will be the next step for both CPUs and GPUs?

Quantum computing will be the future. More specifically, cloud computing will one day take over. We will at home only have simple computers (perhaps just a phone) and plug it into a network where it will connect to a large PC  like a mainframe.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I think that the future we see in shows like Star Trek will probably not be too dissimilar from reality. In the TNG era shows, you frequently see starfleet crew members using things similar in size to an iPad to do intense computations. They are linked to the main computer which while in the show is based on simliar tech to what our computers today are based on just a more advanced version. I think something like this would probably be a combination of Quantum and Classical computing. Classical being what we have now.

Quantum Computers are great for numerical calculations but a lot of tasks won't require that sort of computer power to run so I think mainframes we remote into (whether from a phone, a tablet, laptop, desktop, etc) will be more hybrid devices and our devices will be a lot more power efficient requiring only a low power CPU and iGPU (probably not unlike how phones and tablets currently function) and a high speed network adapter.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

17 hours ago, minibois said:

Quantum computing will be the future. More specifically, cloud computing will one day take over. We will at home only have simple computers (perhaps just a phone) and plug it into a network where it will connect to a large PC  like a mainframe.

If were at the point where we absolutely cannot cram more computing power within a given space and power budget, then alas, the only choice would then be to scale up. I would much prefer a home cloud server over one managed by a third party though. Perhaps like air conditioning, there will be a central home server that serves all the TVs/displays in the house.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

16 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

If were at the point where we absolutely cannot cram more computing power within a given space and power budget, then alas, the only choice would then be to scale up. I would much prefer a home cloud server over one managed by a third party though. Perhaps like air conditioning, there will be a central home server that serves all the TVs/displays in the house.

Oh for sure, I would hate the days of everything cloud (including storage and computing), but I think it's (sadly, IMO) the future.

16 hours ago, Caroline said:

Hard to imagine considering it's almost 2020 and my city still has internet speeds measured in Kb/s

Mankind will probably reach Mars before we have 10Mbps avg speed

How is mobile internet doing? At some point it might just be better to give up on wired connection and focus more on satellites and stuff providing internet.

11 minutes ago, comander said:

The future will likely be hybrid with context mattering. Cloud can be high bandwidth but latency is always going to be an issue. Also for some things (e.g. microwave, refrigerator) the circuitry to get network connectivity is more complex than the circuitry required to do the task at hand. 

Cloud is the future, but only in some contexts. 

What I'm thinking right now, is that these cloud companies would be rather closeby at first (like one building per rough area/small city) and from there would work on decreasing latency.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

We will probably move on to something other than silicon chips. Quantum computer is still too scifi-ky. I mean quantum entanglement? It is like time travel. What?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Didn't TSMC once mentioned about 0.1nm technology?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition