Apple: Are the Master Thieves at it again?

Warcony

I apologize in advance if this is a repost.  Apple has been accused of violating a patent for the circuitry in their A7 chips.

Professor Andreas Moshovos, former graduate student Scott Breach (who received his Ph.D in 1998), and Terani Vijaykumar (another former graduate student) -- in 1998 published a groundbreaking paper entitled "Data Dependence Speculation Apparatus for Parallel Processing Unit".

The paper layed out a piece of circuitry that allowed parallel tasks on a modern multiprocessor to be better scheduled, improving processing throughput and power efficiency.  More specifically, the circuit allows for a heurisitic where the processor learns from its mistakes in scheduling, getting smarter at balancing the loads for certain user profiles.

For the work, Professor Sohi in 2011 won the ACM-IEEE CS Eckert-Mauchly Award — "the computer architecture community's most prestigious award."  He and his co-authors also received a patent on the circuit -- U.S. Patent No. 5,781,752, filed for in 1996 and granted in 1998.

LINK TO ARTICLE:

http://www.dailytech.com/University+Sues+Apple+For+Ripping+Off+Circuitry+in+A7+iPhone+Chip/article34252.htm

Interesting news, I am not sure how strong the professors' arguments are, but they look pretty decent IMO. What are your thoughts?

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

looks solid

an award too

yeah cant beat that

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Maybe they will receive a significant smack on the nose. It has to be a pretty big one otherwise they will pay whatever they have to and do it again.

Hopefully the pfofessor follows through with this and makes Apple have a taste of their own medicine.

Core - EVGA Classified 3 | i7 980x | 12GB Corsair Dominator GT | Lian Li P80 | Corsair 128 Neutron GTX | 2 x WD 500gb Velociraptor | Asus Xonar Xense | 2 x EVGA 590 | Enermax Platimax 1500

Water Cooling - Alphacool NexXxos 360 Monsta | TFC 360 | Alphacool D5 Vario | Alphacool 250 Tube res | EK Supreme HF Nickle Plexi | 2 x EK Nickle Plexi 590 WB | Aquaero 5 XT

Not to derail the inevitable list of "me too" comments here  but really, I find it tiresome to complain about the thieves exploiting the system instead of the thieves that made and continue to support and expand the broken system that allows the thievery to continue.

I mean I can remove all locks from my house and constantly bitch about those damned thieves but you know what would work better? Something to stop thievery, as opposed to encouraging it like the modern legal system does.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Lol why all the apple bashing. Maybe they just  invented it and DIDN'T read a paper published in 1998

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Apple never makes anything them self now days, they just patent others work and throws money around so they shut up.

lol, the typical apple hater who only hates Apple because everyone else does. I used to be there too. 

Typical answer from fan boys, prove me wrong. I don't have to show any proof that I'm right because your alredy in a topic that proves I'm right.

I have a nexus 7 and an old htc sensation. I have a PC and my laptop is a mac, only cause I got it as a hand-me-down from my dad. Show me one positive article about Apple on this forum. Whether it is hating on the mac pro for its shape or its noise(even though it isn't loud at all)

Edit: actually don't bother, I'm not going to waste my time.

Haha I know the feels. I used to try and argue  :P

Haha well Samsung is absolutely crap so you can't say anything. Samsung doesn't invent anything, they just copy off Apple.

Haha well Samsung is absolutely crap so you can't say anything. Samsung doesn't invent anything, they just copy off Apple.

Yea totally....you do know that majority of the components in Apple's devices were designed and manufactured by Samsung, right?

Yea totally....you do know that majority of the components in Apple's devices were designed and manufactured by Samsung, right?

Only about two are just manufactured. Thats not a majority.

yes they were manufactured by samsung because they have good chip building facilities but they certainly were not designed by them

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

QUICK KILL IT BEFORE IT SPREADS!!!

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

Not sure why these threads have to be ignorant brand bashing. I know it doesn't help that the OP sets up the story the way he does (trolling), but it's an interesting story, although sensationalized and heavily biased.

This is, according to the article, wide spread in the tech industry and it's Apple's turn to be sued. So they might be guilty of ripping off the design and should then face to consequences.

Not sure why these threads have to be ignorant brand bashing. I know it doesn't help that the OP sets up the story the way he does (trolling), but it's an interesting story, although sensationalized and heavily biased.

This is, according to the article, wide spread in the tech industry and it's Apple's turn to be sued. So they might be guilty of ripping off the design and should then face to consequences.

Yes I was trolling with the title.  You might have noticed in my signature I own Apple products, so I do support them to some degree (MBa is a sweet ultrabook) and yes all companies do copy designs/ideas.  The reason I like to troll Apple is because after Jobs was no longer there, they begun vigorously defending themselves and trying to prove they don't copy anyone.  At least Jobs was pretty up front about copying ideas.  doesn't make it any more right, but at least he was being honest.

Yes I was trolling with the title.  You might have noticed in my signature I own Apple products, so I do support them to some degree (MBa is a sweet ultrabook) and yes all companies do copy designs/ideas.  The reason I like to troll Apple is because after Jobs was no longer there, they begun vigorously defending themselves and trying to prove they don't copy anyone.  At least Jobs was pretty up front about copying ideas.  doesn't make it any more right, but at least he was being honest.

Ok, understandable.

Apple started their campaign of "protecting" their products while Steve Jobs was at the helm. Apple is not the only one that does this, but it is one of the most aggressive companies that do. Its given them a deserved black eye, its just frustrating to see people lose judgement (not directed at anyone) over it.

I'll try not to derail this thread further.

The master thieves finally got caught with something they can't argue against? I'm excited to see if they finally receive repercussions for their actions.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Apple never makes anything them self now days, they just patent others work and throws money around so they shut up.

Oh, you mean just like Samsung, Google, LG, and every other major corporation?  :rolleyes:

What has any of these "invented" in the past decade? 

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

Oh, you mean just like Samsung, Google, LG, and every other major corporation?  :rolleyes:

What has any of these "invented" in the past decade? 

Samsung, Google and LG have all invented a lot of things in the past decade...

Samsung, Google and LG have all invented a lot of things in the past decade...

Please name them. At least a few major inventions from each of these companies. 

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5