HP Releases New Elite Dragonfly Ultrabook

ThePointblank

From Anandtech, Tom's Guide and Ars:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14878/hp-elite-dragonfly-a-13-3-inch-convertible-notebook-with-24-hr-battery-life

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/09/hp-debuts-elitebook-dragonfly-2-in-1-with-ultra-light-chassis-24-hour-battery-life/

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/hps-elite-dragonfly-is-the-macbook-air-apple-should-have-made

elitebookdragonfly1-1440x961.jpg

This is a new 2-in-1 ultrabook out of HP's Elite lineup. Prices start at $1549 USD, and will be available October 25th.

The laptop weights in at around 2.2lbs, which HP touts as being the lightest business laptop, and is made from lightweight magnesium alloy machined via CNC. The chassis is certified to the MIL-STD-810G military standard so it will withstand drops and shocks better than most other laptops out there. Hopefully, this is a Linus-proof laptop based upon this spec.

The screen is a 13.3" affair, with either a 1080p with 400 nits of brightness, or 1080p panel with 1000 nits of brightness with HP's Sure View privacy filter, or 4K with 550 nits of brightness available. All screen options will have Corning Gorilla Glass 5 to cover them. It will have 85.6% screen-to-body ratio, with 360 degree folding screen, so you can use it as a tablet, with it's included Active Pen G3 in the box.

Other specs include options of a 8th generation Core i3/15/i7 Whiskey Lake CPU (no 9th or 10th gen options yet as they don't have Intel's vPro) with up to 16GB of RAM and 2 TB of SSD storage. The RAM is not upgrade-able, while the SSD being offered is either a SATA drive for the lower end or specialized SKU's (there's an option for a FIPS 140-2-certified drive), and for higher end SKU's, it will be a PCI-E 4x SSD.

Connectivity-wise, you got WiFi 6 and Gigabit 4G LTE, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, one USB 3.1 Type A, HDMI 1.4, and a headphone jack. It will also feature four Band & Olufsen-badged speakers as well as a microphone array as well.

Long battery life is being claimed; the base battery is a two-cell 38 watt hour Li-ion battery that should provide 16 hours of battery life, but there's an optional four-cell, 56.2 Wh model with an estimated 24 hour battery life as well. The 4-cell battery will push the weight beyond 2.2 pounds though.

As part of the Elite business lineup, there are some security features as well; a 720p webcam with a built-in shutter to cover the webcam when not in use, there's an option for an IR camera, and a fingerprint reader for Windows Hello. The Elite Dragonfly will also support HP's Sure Sense, Sure Recover, and Embedded Reimaging technologies, a TPM 2.0 module, and an Absolute persistence module.

Full spec sheet is here (from Anandtech):

dragonfly_specs.png

Overall, this looks like a very good effort by HP, with a nice, clean design, and decently packed in terms of specs.

1 hour ago, ThePointblank said:

MIL-STD-810G military standard

doesn't actually mean much when it comes to drop resistance

The important point here is to understand that a MIL-SPEC certification does NOT mean that the device could resist battlefield conditions (meaning “in combat” or “on the frontlines”). That is why consumer devices look radically different from their military counterparts that are extra-bulky.

The MIL-STD-810G* drop test consists in testing the resistance to shock of all the equipment surface: all faces, edges, and corners. In total, 26 drops from about 4 feet (phones, laptops) are necessary to perform the complete drop test. Since tests are done to test specific areas of the equipment, manufacturers can divide the 26 drops over five different devices. After each drop, the equipment is inspected for damage.

Also, the drop surface is 2-inches of plywood (on top of concrete) because it is the most likely surface that things fall onto in a military transport context. In the real world, this may be different because people stand on concrete, metal or marble more so than on plywood. Not perfect, but good to know.

The “drop test” is also called “shock” tests in certain documents. These tests are designed to measure the durability of equipment during load/unloading and transportation.

Really hope it comes in standard colours too (black or silver) blue just doens't look good 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Or you can just stick to a thinkpad.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

"business laptop" my ass.

Try dropping one of these down the stairs as well as a Thinkpad. Then try plugging in USB drives, keyboards, mice, projectors, SD cards, chargers, and SIM cards into it.

If the HP survived, you'd need half a dozen dongles to do this, or a $100 hub. Not with the Thinkpad.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

25 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

For everyone other than americans

2.2lb = 0.997903kg

The Brit uses it too.

I have the Spectre x360 13" - this seems like a very interesting side grade.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

How can a 56.2Wh battery last 24 hours?

My Zenbook 14 Intel i5 with a 50Wh battery can only do 8-9 hours.

26 minutes ago, Deli said:

The Brit uses it too.

oh... ok

✨FNIGE✨

2 hours ago, Deli said:

How can a 56.2Wh battery last 24 hours?

My Zenbook 14 Intel i5 with a 50Wh battery can only do 8-9 hours.

1080p screen, 25% brightness, video loop only vs actual use.

36 minutes ago, descendency said:

Just watch Louis Rossman's video. He was looking for new place for his shop. The broker said the place was 2500 sqf. Rossman measured the actual size was 17xx sqf only.

The seller always wants to oversell its products.

38 minutes ago, descendency said:

Per Anandtech, the result is based upon MobileMark 2014, which is a fairly light use case scenario.

meh

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 9/19/2019 at 9:18 AM, williamcll said:

Or you can just stick to a thinkpad.

HP Elitebooks have always been rock solid. Lenovo just has a cult following for some reason. 

7 hours ago, kokakolia said:

HP Elitebooks have always been rock solid. Lenovo just has a cult following for some reason. 

Mostly from the golden days back at IBM before Lenovo bought their PC division, I think. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Ok, I'll say it:

1.6k for a 1080p screen and an ULV i3 is theft. Please stop.

7 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Solid or not this has nothing of what I'd want in a high end laptop. At least Lenovo used to make an effort (though that's increasingly less the case). Here, RAM is soldered, the keyboard looks awful (just look at those damn arrow keys), the ports are too few and it doesn't have an sd card slot. Oh, and there's no trackpoint. HP used to do better, too.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Ok, I'll say it:

1.6k for a 1080p screen and an ULV i3 is theft. Please stop.

Solid or not this has nothing of what I'd want in a high end laptop. At least Lenovo used to make an effort (though that's increasingly less the case). Here, RAM is soldered, the keyboard looks awful (just look at those damn arrow keys), the ports are too few and it doesn't have an sd card slot. Oh, and there's no trackpoint. HP used to do better, too.

So it's clear that this particular model doesn't cut it. But I'd argue that this laptop is pretty good for under $1000:

It's got a lot going for it except for the ULV processor. I don't know if the RAM is soldered in however. That could be a dealbreaker.

Overall, I believe that Dell, HP and Lenovo are all copying each other. It's just a matter of shopping around and finding the best deal. Hopefully, companies will start putting 16gb of RAM instead of 8gb. RAM used to be so cheap before 2017. Now RAM prices are reasonable.  

On 9/20/2019 at 12:25 AM, Deli said:

The Brit uses it too.

depends on your age in the UK a lot of the time

My parents generation tend to primarily use imperial measurements as for me (aged 55)  I  quite happily use a mix of imperial & metric depending on my mood or what I'm doing.

Eg weights I tend to use metric but distance I think in miles (unless I'm on the continent and then I switch mindset) 

Fluids is an odd one. beer I use pints (which are "bigger" than US pints , a UK pint is  0.56 litres but a US pint is only 0.47 litres) but for milk I use litres (unless I'm pouring it into a pint glass ;o) )

I'm happy buying petrol in £'s per litre but I generally think of my fuel consumption in miles per gallon 

12 minutes ago, mikeyw64 said:

My parents generation tend to primarily use imperial measurements as for me (aged 55)  I  quite happily use a mix of imperial & metric depending on my mood or what I'm doing.

Eg weights I tend to use metric but distance I think in miles (unless I'm on the continent and then I switch mindset) 

Fluids is an odd one. beer I use pints (which are "bigger" than US pints , a UK pint is  0.56 litres but a US pint is only 0.47 litres) but for milk I use litres (unless I'm pouring it into a pint glass ;o) )

I'm happy buying petrol in £'s per litre but I generally think of my fuel consumption in miles per gallon 

Do you still use "stone" for weight?

13 minutes ago, mikeyw64 said:

Oh gawd! Imperial units need to die. When I lived in Canada until recently, I was mortified to see sports clubs, grocery stores and just stores in general use imperial units. Canadians (and that includes teenagers too, not just older people) make it seem like it's an ordeal to use metric units unless they're driving and pumping gas. It's kinda sad that metric will never really take off, just based on anything food or cooking related. All of the appliances are imperial. You'd be crazy to measure your fluids in mL and bake in C. I can't imagine how confused Canadian kids must be in school. They're learning a metric system of measurement that they seldom use. 

9 minutes ago, Deli said:

Do you still use "stone" for weight?

all depends

for my own weight I sues stones & kg interchangeably

For smaller amounts its almost exclusively KG

3 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Oh gawd! Imperial units need to die. When I lived in Canada until recently, I was mortified to see sports clubs, grocery stores and just stores in general use imperial units. Canadians (and that includes teenagers too, not just older people) make it seem like it's an ordeal to use metric units unless they're driving and pumping gas. It's kinda sad that metric will never really take off, just based on anything food or cooking related. All of the appliances are imperial. You'd be crazy to measure your fluids in mL and bake in C. I can't imagine how confused Canadian kids must be in school. They're learning a metric system of measurement that they seldom use. 

ah yes temperatures, for that i exclusively use celsius rather than fahrenheit 

No ryzen, no dice (bad pun)

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

This is still significantly more expensive than a MacBook Air. An Air retails for $1,099 now. Granted this is a more powerful machine, but if you wanted more power in a similar form factor, the MBPs exist. 

A 2019 Base model MBP could beat this in any benchmark and only sacrifices battery life for cheaper. (13” base model is $1,299). 

So the main selling point of this HP pretty much comes down to battery life.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)