Surge protector or UPS for gaming pc

Hi, I built a gaming PC, and I wanted to know, is a surge protector enough, or should I go for a UPS, and if a surge protector is good enough, how many joules should it be.

My PC specs are:

- Msi z390 gaming pro carbon Ac

- Corsair 16Gb 3200 Rgb Memory Modules

- Asus Rtx 2080 ti strix oc 

- Samsung 970 pro 512Gb

- Evga G3 1000w power supply 

20190912_110407.jpg

A UPS is simply a surge protector with a battery added to it, so that if the power goes out your PC and peripherals will still be powered. There are also expensive on-line UPSs which do even more, but they're quite expensive and not necezssary.

I'd just get a surge protector.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Can't really go wrong with a UPS if you have the money to do so. They sure are nice to have if your power isn't the most consistent thing out there, whether it's shitty voltage or just frequent outages.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

2 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

A UPS is simply a surge protector with a battery added to it, so that if the power goes out your PC and peripherals will still be powered. There are also expensive on-line UPSs which do even more, but they're quite expensive and not necezssary.

I'd just get a surge protector.

If you don't mind me asking, How many joules should I get?

3 minutes ago, Kyukyokunogema said:

If you don't mind me asking, How many joules should I get?

i have no fucking idea man

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I only use Surge Protection, but UPS has saved the day few times at work.

If you do want to go the UPS path, make sure it has replacement batteries for a good price as those don't last forever.

“The more you learn, the more you know.

The more you know, the more you forget.

The more you forget, the less you know.

So why bother to learn.”

41 minutes ago, OneMember said:

I only use Surge Protection, but UPS has saved the day few times at work.

If you do want to go the UPS path, make sure it has replacement batteries for a good price as those don't last forever.

Do you know how many joules should I get 

UPS look like a better option cause the computer will still be powered on. The UPS depends on how your going to use it. There are UPS which can last longer but there are also UPS where during an power outage will give you enough power to save your work and shut down your PC safely.

On 9/13/2019 at 1:25 PM, Kyukyokunogema said:

surge protector enough, or should I go for a UPS,

Id go for the UPS. Get a line interactive unit. It will do a bit to smooth out the power. While I have little faith a UPS or Surge Suppressor will survive a lightning stike and most like any connected would die as well. The UPS would smooth out surges created in your home by other devices and by small surges created by the utility power. On top of the fact if the power does go out, you do have the battery as a backup. UPS's are connected to your PC via USB most of the time. This will send a signal to tell you machine to turn off safely, rather than cutting power and potentially corrupting  your drive/OS. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Why don't you turn that power supply around (fan up) so it doesn't look so ugly with all those S/N stickers?

As for UPS vs. Surge Strip.....

Do you get brown outs?  Do you get lightning strikes?  Does your power go out often?

On 9/15/2019 at 4:03 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Why don't you turn that power supply around (fan up) so it doesn't look so ugly with all those S/N stickers?

As for UPS vs. Surge Strip.....

Do you get brown outs?  Do you get lightning strikes?  Does your power go out often?

Just power outage sometimes 

4 minutes ago, Kyukyokunogema said:

Just power outage sometimes 

Ok.  For power outages, a surge strip isn't going to do jack.  You want a UPS. 

And did you turn the PSU around? 

8 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ok.  For power outages, a surge strip isn't going to do jack.  You want a UPS. 

And did you turn the PSU around? 

Just saw the message, I'll turn it around soon, thanks for the reply

Always prefer a ups. Good for keeping the internet up as well when the powers out. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz