Linustechtips Dark Web Notification

Crude
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

The number of breached accounts listed there exactly matches the number of accounts that we know were breached in September 2015 (although from what I have seen of the dataset, it actually predates that slightly), so I'm pretty confident that this is not a new breach.

If you may have been affected, you should have been emailed at the time (in 2015), but if you're concerned then please feel free to send me a PM to check.

To the best of my ability to tell, this data seems to have been circulating for a while in some very deep parts of the internet.

I don't remember hearing or reading about a security breach here....hmmm

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I don't even remember signing up here with that email account they notified me about.

1 minute ago, CrudeR said:

I don't even remember signing up here with that email account they notified me about.

Hmm....

maybe the man himself can help...

@LinusTech 

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

There was this one "breach" couple of years back ( if my memory serves me correctly, right after switching to IPB). That kinda looks like a phishing email.

EDIT: I was correct.

image.png.e65f70ed0af232f5d7d6133eb4004a52.png

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

14 minutes ago, star_pilot475 said:

Hmm....

maybe the man himself can help...

@LinusTech 

As if he would know. @colonel_mortis

Is master on forums.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'll ask the team, but I wasn't notified of anything and that would be quite "unusual" if we had had a breach..... 

No need to bother Linus, I was just sharing.

And no it's not a phishing email, this is in my actually Lifelock account dashboard for dark web monitoring.

Have you had an account before 45 minutes ago? If not, that wouldn't make sense to be legitimate information.

If you had an account a while ago, the chances are that it was the breach from 2014, but I will look into it further to verify that. 

HTTP/2 203

3 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Have you had an account before 45 minutes ago? If not, that wouldn't make sense to be legitimate information.

If you had an account a while ago, the chances are that it was the breach from 2014, but I will look into it further to verify that. 

Thx dawg 

Yeah I had an account way back but created a new one today with my Google account to post this.

I'm not even sure if my old account with that email address is still active here.

If the email that was sent to wasn't signed up with linustechtips.com I don't know how they would have gotten the password that wouldnt exist? Could it be a phishing email? Is the email sender legit? are there are fishy links in the email (do not click links unless you know where they lead and are safe)? Is the sender list a distro group where its being mass sent out and the email field is just being autofilled?

1 minute ago, hammjoel said:

If the email that was sent to wasn't signed up with linustechtips.com I don't know how they would have gotten the password that wouldnt exist? Could it be a phishing email? Is the email sender legit? are there are fishy links in the email (do not click links unless you know where they lead and are safe)? Is the sender list a distro group where its being mass sent out and the email field is just being autofilled?

This is not from an email, it's a notification in LifeLocks dashboard for darkweb monitoring.

The number of breached accounts listed there exactly matches the number of accounts that we know were breached in September 2015 (although from what I have seen of the dataset, it actually predates that slightly), so I'm pretty confident that this is not a new breach.

If you may have been affected, you should have been emailed at the time (in 2015), but if you're concerned then please feel free to send me a PM to check.

To the best of my ability to tell, this data seems to have been circulating for a while in some very deep parts of the internet.

HTTP/2 203

Yeah this does look to be from way back then but kind of surprised me this morning. I just wanted to post here for that slim chance it was something new so everyone was aware.

Is there anyway to combine my old account with this new one? I was able to change the pw and log into my old account.

If this is not possible I'll go through the steps of deleting my old one.

On 9/12/2019 at 3:10 AM, Crude said:

Yeah this does look to be from way back then but kind of surprised me this morning. I just wanted to post here for that slim chance it was something new so everyone was aware.

Is there anyway to combine my old account with this new one? I was able to change the pw and log into my old account.

If this is not possible I'll go through the steps of deleting my old one.

Yes - can you send me a PM that includes both accounts, and send a message from each to verify that you are you, then I can merge them for you.

HTTP/2 203

On 9/12/2019 at 12:34 AM, TempestCatto said:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Just checked and my email for here isn't compromised (granted that's only one source).

I checked and it says that there has been 1 breach and no pastes, should I be worried? I haven't seen any suspicions activity on my account yet

3 hours ago, realpetertdm said:

I checked and it says that there has been 1 breach and no pastes, should I be worried? I haven't seen any suspicions activity on my account yet

If you reused the password from that breached site on any other site, you should change it (ideally you should be using a password manager with a unique password for each site). The data loaded into HIBP is primarily sourced from publicly available data, so anyone could download your password and try to use it to log into your other accounts.

There are a couple of things listed as breaches there which didn't include any passwords. It should give you the details of the breaches that your email appeared in if you scroll down, and that should include what data was exposed. Even if your password wasn't leaked, I would still recommend switching to a password manager (LastPass and OnePassword are good, among others) if you haven't already.

HTTP/2 203

52 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

If you reused the password from that breached site on any other site, you should change it (ideally you should be using a password manager with a unique password for each site). The data loaded into HIBP is primarily sourced from publicly available data, so anyone could download your password and try to use it to log into your other accounts.

There are a couple of things listed as breaches there which didn't include any passwords. It should give you the details of the breaches that your email appeared in if you scroll down, and that should include what data was exposed. Even if your password wasn't leaked, I would still recommend switching to a password manager (LastPass and OnePassword are good, among others) if you haven't already.

My info seems to have been leaked in a canva.com breach, so thankfully there isn't any kind of credit card info that was leaked. It also seems like I used a completelt different password on that site so it's not that big of an issue... I think. Thanks for the help