Forum Queer Eye

I am a male in need some nice clothes but I'm also poor so I can't buy all like Calvin Klein & name brand stuff.

Anyone have budget nice daily clothing recommendations?

Ordering online is an option if the sizes are explained.

Otherwise local stores in the US are good too.

I have no style & my clothes are quite old atm.

I like codoroy pants but idk where to get it cheap aside from good will. I don't own jeans & stopped wearing them because when I had dry skin on my knees it used to hurt. Also they're like $50/each iirc.

I'm not a fan of shorts nor tank tops. Pants & t-shirts or long sleeves.

No shoes. I have 1 nice pair of shoes with excellent arch support in black.

Walmart has good shirts, jackets, and sportswear for pretty cheap. Goodwill can give good jeans and dressy clothes depending on your size (if you're a large person you'll find a greater selection) but will mostly be filled with super old stuff. See if you can find some nicer thrift shops around you as well that will save you looking hours for current trendier clothing. Splurge on shoes because they're what a lot of people look at when judging the quality of your outfit and will keep your feet from hurting. Finally for style imo find a model online that looks like you and copy them. Ask any female you know for tips and google stuff you don't know.

I will second Walmart. They have decent enough selections of things that are considered good fashion. 

Old Navy is also an excellent resource. Their clothes are better quality than Walmart (depends on the item tho) and they have sales literally all the time. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, fpo said:

I am a male in need some nice clothes but I'm also poor so I can't buy all like Calvin Klein & name brand stuff.

I like codoroy pants but idk where to get it cheap aside from good will. I don't own jeans & stopped wearing them because when I had dry skin on my knees it used to hurt. Also they're like $50/each iirc.

I shop at Walmart and Khols. 

Talking about old cloths, I ripped a pair of pants at work the other week. Ive had those for maybe a decade or longer. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Yeah I shop at khols nowadays. They have a good selection. I'd say better than Walmart. 

But make sure to get an account with khols, and use coupons and savings when you can, it will definitely help. Their stuff is kind of expensive unless you're a member of their perks program. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Kohl's, Burlington Coat Factory, and Sear's. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

59 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Kohl's, Burlington Coat Factory, and Sear's. 

Sears won’t be around much longer.

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Sears won’t be around much longer.

Shopping malls are getting replaced by Walmart and Amazon. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Get more than one pair of shoes.  You should have 1-2 pairs of adult shoes in black/brown, and 1-2 pairs of sneakers/runners.  Add in any specialty shoes like work boots or climbing shoes or cleats on top.

Black and navy pants are an easy go to, or dark grey/burgundy.

Shirts are easy, mix some solid colour front pocket tees in with some polos and a few button ups in patterns as bold as you're willing to dare.  Add a few of your fav graphic tees.

If you like long sleeves get a few henleys

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

11 hours ago, fpo said:

I am a male in need some nice clothes

this girl told me once that if you want to look good, just buy outfits from one store. Like just buy what the mannequin has on. buy a full shirt/hoodie/pants etc from the same store. basically the fashion designers want their clothes to be pretty compatible with each other so its hard to go too wrong. My go to these days is american eagle because its a bit nicer than walmart etc but not super expensive. I also wear alot of eddie bauer t shirts and polos and lucky brand jeans (these brands go on sale for reasonable prices but are premium clothes) 

Also don't buy all athletic gear. You need like normal clothes too. 

buying clothes on amazon can work out really good, I recently got some columbia half zip sweaters for like 1/3 the price in store. I also bought some calvein klein jeans that don't fit at all and seem pretty crappy, so its win and lose. 

good luck 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

North of the border, here, but I think you guys have this as well.

If you're not looking to go clothes shopping frequently, get a few quality (≠expensive) basics that'll last long and go well with future additions.

Amazon Essentials (search for "men's Amazon Essentials")

has a very neutral collection that has decent quality, and can go well with many different styles. They have been fairly consistent in their selection, pricing and sizing, so the advantage is if you find something that works well for you, it'll probably be easy to find something similar again down the road.

If you don't have a baseline yet, you could get your dimensions measured (Art of Manliness measurement's guide) and pop them somewhere convenient, I have mine in OneNote. It's a bit tougher to do accurately by yourself, I asked my laundromat's proprietor to help me with it when I was there since they do alterations as well. It's definitely useful to have when comparing to sizes online.

CPU: Vulnerable to Meltdown | Motherboard: Has LEDs that I can't see | RAM: Bought too much | GPU: Mostly satisfactory so far in our relationship | Case: Shiny, black, very heavy and tall, with a Firefox sticker | Storage: Has too many old HDDs | PSU: Hasn't blown up yet like it's predecessor | Displays: Mismatched from Craigslist | Cooling: As many Noctuas as there are fan headers | Keyboard: Keys are fading |  Mouse: Needs cleaning |

You don't need to have money to buy nice things.

Buy on eBay. New, obviously, but you can get quality clothes for fractions of the price they are new. I'm assuming you're in the US, which makes it even easier for you. That's where I get most of my clothes. Sure, there are times when I've bought something that doesn't fit the way I want, but when I'm paying $20 for something that retailed for $200, who am I to complain. Plus it's generally dead easy to sell it on.

If you're not comfortable with that, Banana Republic and The Gap. Both stores have 40% off sales every other week or so, and this includes their Sales section. So you can get 40% off things that are already discounted. I've bought shirts I've gotten loads of compliments on for maybe $12.

@Joluch nailed it though. Go quality, not quantity. You can get 2 or 3 nice pairs of jeans/pants, then maybe 8 shirts that go with them and really that's all you need. Expensive clothes aren't just expensive for the sake of the brand name, they are actually better tailored, will fit better, and will last longer with proper care.

You're right. You have no style. Stay away from corduroy pants.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

12 hours ago, fpo said:

You can get clothes anywhere, but the most important thing is the fit. Get your stuff tailored! It’s not that expensive to do. Or do it yourself through YouTube videos.

Seconding tip on tailoring. If you're shopping for ready to wear, take the time to try on different sizes from clothing companies. Like shoes, there are usually differences in measurement despite supposedly having the same size. Also add pops of color -- used to be an all-neutral guy but I feel my wardrobe has improved with more color. Seek advice on what looks good on you, though.

1 minute ago, airENOwevEr778 said:

ike shoes, there are usually differences in measurement despite supposedly having the same size.

Best advice I have found here. I found a pair of Sketchers work shoes that fit like a glove. They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever wore. Literally I go to Famous Footwear and buy the exact same pair of shoes every time. I bought two pairs the last time I went. 

There are two things in life to spend good money on. A mattress and shoes. 

I'm 14 and live in Canada so you may have a smaller selection, but discount stores like Marshalls and Winners tend to have nice stuff for good prices. I regularly find nice sweatpants for less than $20 each from name brands.

Walmart is also good.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

On 9/3/2019 at 7:59 PM, fpo said:

my clothes are quite old atm.

What is the problem with that?

Most of my clothes are 10+ years old and my witner jacket even 15 years

On 9/3/2019 at 2:15 PM, Anjelllo said:

Ask any female you know for tips

I will go shopping with my relative next month.

On 9/4/2019 at 2:01 AM, dizmo said:

You're right. You have no style. Stay away from corduroy pants.

They're comfy... fine...

On 9/4/2019 at 2:07 AM, kokakolia said:

You can get clothes anywhere, but the most important thing is the fit. Get your stuff tailored! It’s not that expensive to do. Or do it yourself through YouTube videos.

As we don't live in wow, people don't tend to call themselves tailors.... what's the modern day equivalent place I would get my stuff setup?

1 hour ago, Teddy07 said:

What is the problem with that?

Most of my clothes are 10+ years old and my witner jacket even 15 years

Most of my clothes are heavily worn and/or torn/ripped. I have no distinction between keeping nice clothes nice & putting on trash-able clothes for the specific intent of keeping nice clothes nice.

On 9/3/2019 at 7:12 PM, Donut417 said:

I shop at Walmart and Khols. 

Talking about old cloths, I ripped a pair of pants at work the other week. Ive had those for maybe a decade or longer. 

I'll second Kohls, they're great especially for big guys (gang). I got flat front khaki pants for $17/pair and polo shirts for $15/ea. Underwear and socks are expensive there though, so for that I'd probably recommend Walmart.

2 minutes ago, fpo said:

I have no distinction between keeping nice clothes nice & putting on trash-able clothes for the specific intent of keeping nice clothes nice.

I do this with shoes all the time.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

1 hour ago, fpo said:

They're comfy... fine...

Yes, but you can get comfy clothes with style.

Cords are a no go.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, fpo said:

As we don't live in wow, people don't tend to call themselves tailors.... what's the modern day equivalent place I would get my stuff setup?

Google maps => "dry cleaning and tailoring". 

5 hours ago, fpo said:

Uhm... what? Yes, they still call themselves tailors. Search Google Maps locally. You can also search for "alterations" too.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Uhm... what? Yes, they still call themselves tailors. Search Google Maps locally. You can also search for "alterations" too.

Oh... I didn't know that. I tried referring to them as such once & people didn't know what I was talking about.

Just now, fpo said:

Oh... I didn't know that. I tried referring to them as such once & people didn't know what I was talking about.

Perhaps those people have never been to a tailor *shrugs*.

As noted by @kokakolia, the "low cost" tailors are often part of dry cleaning services. You can also often find a tailor/alteration shop inside a mall.

Also, just about every place that sells suits or wedding dresses employs tailors - though those ones will be higher end and may cost more.