First steps after fresh windows 10 installation.

Go to solution Solved by Anghammarad,

After fresh install, make all updates, install drivers, install the basic software like 7zip, winamp, notepad++, office software, etc whatever you usually need, then after that is done, clean up the system drive from old updates (with the assistant).

THEN do a backup.

Hi, I'm UDONTO.

And I'm about to build a WINDOWS 10 machine for the first time.

As you all probably know, windows somewhat loves to assassinate it self. ?

(That's at least what I'm hearing a lot about it)

That's why I'm asking you guys what I should do asap after I installed Windows 10.

(Besides making a backup.)

So that in the case of failure I'll be prepared as best as possible.

update ur drivers 

what card and cpu do u have???

u can run some tests but tbh playing and using the pc is just the same.

look and see if all your ram is working and if all your storage is there and not missing 

After fresh install, make all updates, install drivers, install the basic software like 7zip, winamp, notepad++, office software, etc whatever you usually need, then after that is done, clean up the system drive from old updates (with the assistant).

THEN do a backup.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

6 minutes ago, lavacandy said:

update ur drivers 

what card and cpu do u have???

u can run some tests but tbh playing and using the pc is just the same.

look and see if all your ram is working and if all your storage is there and not missing 

Well I don't have the parts yet.

But I already know which components I'll use.

CPU: RYZEN 9 3900X

GPU: MSI RTX 2070 SUPER VENTUS OC

4 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

THEN do a backup.

Okay.

But where are the old updates located?

Just now, lavacandy said:

did u order the parts or are u going to 

I'm going to.

1 minute ago, lavacandy said:

not saying the 2070 super is not good 

I know it's weird.

But I did this on purpose.

Just now, UDONTO said:

Okay.

But where are the old updates located?

Open up the windows explorer (shortcut windows key + e) 

right click on your C  drive and click on properties. under the capacity ring should be a button "Clean up" (only got the german version at hand right now), click on that. A new windows pops up with a list. Down below is another button "clean up System files" and click on that. In the new window activate everything that you want to get removed. 

Usually you could chose everything, but I for myself don't delete Downloads for example... So just check what you want to have removed. Then hit OK. This now may take a while. let it running in the background, you can surf, watch youtube etc while the cleanup is running. After it is done, it's time for the backup ?

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

1 minute ago, Anghammarad said:

Open up the windows explorer (shortcut windows key + e) 

right click on your C  drive and click on properties. under the capacity ring should be a button "Clean up" (only got the german version at hand right now), click on that. A new windows pops up with a list. Down below is another button "clean up System files" and click on that. In the new window activate everything that you want to get removed. 

Usually you could chose everything, but I for myself don't delete Downloads for example... So just check what you want to have removed. Then hit OK. This now may take a while. let it running in the background, you can surf, watch youtube etc while the cleanup is running. After it is done, it's time for the backup ?

Thanks for the info. ?

3 minutes ago, lavacandy said:

5 minutes ago, lavacandy said:

i dont think its weird u picked a great cpu and a great gpu 

Both are great for sure.

But I thought that most people would expect a much stronger GPU for such an CPU 

Let it sit for a while until CPU and disk usage is idle, then check for and install updates.

Then after restarting and isntalling those updates go through ALL the settings and programs and disable/remove whatever you want.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Let it sit for a while until CPU and disk usage is idle, then check for and install updates.

Then after restarting and isntalling those updates go through ALL the settings and programs and disable/remove whatever you want.

Tank you to for the info.?

Do help yourself installing some apps the first time. A good portion of free ones can be downloaded from Ninite.com

Select the apps you want, and let ninite do the unattended install for you. Keep the 200kb Ninite file around, and run it when you need to update the apps.

As others have said, go though the pre-installed apps, and remove the ones you don't need. Go through the settings app, and change the settings you feel make no sense to you. Since it is a desktop, definitely change the timings on the display and PC sleep. Windows will go to sleep doing certain things. And coming back to that game that was suppose to download, and realise it is only 50% and still has an hour to go...

And if it is something you care about, go through the privacy settings, a few things might be worth turning off.

On 9/2/2019 at 1:55 AM, UDONTO said:

That's why I'm asking you guys what I should do asap after I installed Windows 10.

(Besides making a backup.)

I recommend, as one of the very first steps, just enjoy your new system. :)

You'll have plenty of time to update everything. You don't must setup everything (I mean settings, not drivers) first day.

1 hour ago, XHT_001 said:

clean the registry with both of these then restart

https://www.auslogics.com/en/software/registry-cleaner/

https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/registry-cleaning

you might end up with 3000+ keys. so just delete them, and the 7000+ after upgrading your motherboard without reinstalling windows

Can I do it myself without a program?

On 9/2/2019 at 5:20 PM, The89Lunder said:

Do help yourself installing some apps the first time. A good portion of free ones can be downloaded from Ninite.com

Select the apps you want, and let ninite do the unattended install for you. Keep the 200kb Ninite file around, and run it when you need to update the apps.

As others have said, go though the pre-installed apps, and remove the ones you don't need. Go through the settings app, and change the settings you feel make no sense to you. Since it is a desktop, definitely change the timings on the display and PC sleep. Windows will go to sleep doing certain things. And coming back to that game that was suppose to download, and realise it is only 50% and still has an hour to go...

And if it is something you care about, go through the privacy settings, a few things might be worth turning off.

Alright! Thanks for the info!

10 minutes ago, UDONTO said:

Can I do it myself without a program?

no, both programs are free, ccleaner has some paid for options, but the registry cleaner is free and will find more missing shared dll\s

Do NOT clean registry using any crappy programs. Your registry DO NOT NEED to be "clean" in any way!

I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one person on this forum who is against registry cleaners.

22 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Do NOT clean registry using any crappy programs. Your registry DO NOT NEED to be "clean" in any way!

I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one person on this forum who is against registry cleaners.

What is the registry? And what's the problem if I'm cleaning it?

33 minutes ago, UDONTO said:

What is the registry? And what's the problem if I'm cleaning it?

It's like when you don't know how HDD works, but you want to clean hdd platters with Mr Clean.

Don't do something if you don't know anything about it.

You can find many articles why using registry cleaners has no sense.