FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

49 minutes ago, wurmr said:

Would you consider releasing it under an OSS and posting it on github? You can still get donations via that route.

Until it gets forked into oblivion.

Do you have plans to formalize the closed nature of this software at all [...]

Well I could work on that, also make a website for it, host it ..... or work on the software itself. For now, I prefer to work on the latter 😅.  

However, if you have any experience with software publishing / hosting, license stuff, I could gladly take a tip or two in my private messages.

I would like to see it on github, too. I dont want to fork it into oblivion, but I would like to work on features like graphs on my own and not just request it from you to do the work. :)

Hello again! Great updates you've been making over the last couple of weeks.

I was wondering if something might be possible. Having a visual clue on dashboard graphs of the current value. Something like the attached image. 

graph.png

4 hours ago, Twentysix said:

I was wondering if something might be possible. Having a visual clue on dashboard graphs of the current value.

I like the idea. Will be of the accent color.

image.png.2c8aabd6e26649bc5c2e662c95dc2cc5.png

Hey @Rem0o,

after one of the last patches (I dont know which one, sorry) your tool isnt one of the first ones that starting with windows anymore. Its the last. It wasnt like this before and I did not change anything except updating your tool.

2 hours ago, GrumpyNarf said:

Hey @Rem0o,

after one of the last patches (I dont know which one, sorry) your tool isnt one of the first ones that starting with windows anymore. Its the last. It wasnt like this before and I did not change anything except updating your tool.

Since I added hard drive detection, it might take a bit longer to start up. Otherwise I don't see any change I made that could cause this.

21 minutes ago, Rem0o said:

Since I added hard drive detection, it might take a bit longer to start up. Otherwise I don't see any change I made that could cause this.

Ah yes, this makes sense. So no bug. Ok thank you 🙂

Update 18

COLORS

image.png.bb3f08f448328d9761e3e1213fd8e1ea.pngimage.png.ce926a4a33e43a342c38815bc5121812.pngimage.png.3ad851e1d142eff3c9b56d64c2a9d77c.png

image.png.a8b77bdf88922db88fea73f7731ed8e5.png

• Pick your primary and secondary color
  • There is now a preview of your graph current value/temperature

Feel free to share screenshots of your color combos, I'm curious!

Amazing work! Thanks for adding that so quickly.

Just now, Twentysix said:

Amazing work! Thanks for adding that so quickly.

It took me literally 5 minutes to add your idea. It integrated naturally with my existing code structure 😄

Works on MSI Z370 PC PRO

Really nice.

The activation % check got me thinking of a possible feature.

Something I always thought could be handy is like a self calibration.

Whether that be a calibration mode where idle and benchmarks are run and fans run at various speeds to see how they effect temperature or on an on the fly learning/logging mode where curves could be generated or points suggested based on actual temps where the fans may be a bit sporadic in speed at first as they generate/adjust/create a new curve.

An example is the fans on my AIO radiator were initially running fairly loudly at idle, I adjusted the curves and they were much quieter with no change in temps at all.

I know that could be hard to implement especially with multiple sources of temperature that vary based on load and different case and fan configs having different effects but just thought it could be useful.

Update 19

• Added "Load configuration" to revert changes you made
  • Added hex textbox for color options

image.png.db38f527663145575e17f50095359851.png

Hey guys!

Was thinking about added a new parameter that was already present in the backend, but just not configurable:

• Changing rate (%/sec)

Right now it is fixed at 8%. Might give it a better name.

Basically, it is the rate (speed) at which a control can change %. However, I'm not too sure at what location I should put that parameter...

Choices are the following:

1.  Per control (control card)
  2.  System wide
  3.  Fan curve ??
  4.  ????

Number 1 and 2 make sense to me, while 3 I feel like would kinda be annoying to set your wanted rate for every fan curve you have.

Let me know your opinions!

Hey Rem0o, I just made an account to thank you for this software. It's AMAZING! It reads all my temp sensors, and does much better than Speedfan. I love the UI and the graphs.

I just updated to the latest update, 19, and my Controls section and Speeds section is all blank now. I only have the Curves section. Also, all my CPU temp readings in the software read 0C. Before this update I had no issues and every sensor was read correctly. I haven't installed or changed any drivers or updates on my PC aside from this. Any thoughts?

Capture.PNG

1 minute ago, V1k1 said:

Hey Rem0o, I just made an account to thank you for this software. It's AMAZING! It reads all my temp sensors, and does much better than Speedfan. I love the UI and the graphs.

I just updated to the latest update, 19, and my Controls section and Speeds section is all blank now. I only have the Curves section. Also, all my CPU temp readings in the software read 0C. Before this update I had no issues and every sensor was read correctly. I haven't installed or changed any drivers or updates on my PC aside from this. Any thoughts?

Hum, stupid question, but have you tried to restart it? Anything in the log file to send me?

3 hours ago, Rem0o said:

Hum, stupid question, but have you tried to restart it? Anything in the log file to send me?

Have rebooted the PC, and have restarted the program. Log file was last saved 4/16/2020 (before latest update) and says below:

"4/16/2020 1:01:51 PM: An error occurred while sending the request.
4/16/2020 1:01:51 PM:    at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at FanControl.Domain.UpdaterService.<GetUpdateVersionInfo>d__6.MoveNext()
4/16/2020 1:01:51 PM: The remote name could not be resolved: 'doc-14-90-docs.googleusercontent.com'
4/16/2020 1:01:51 PM:    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpClientHandler.GetResponseCallback(IAsyncResult ar)"

EDIT: I am on a Asus Hero Alpha motherboard, Intel 6700k, Asus 1080 TI Strix.

Not sure if it matters since everything was working before the latest update anyway :P

11 hours ago, V1k1 said:

Hello V1k1,

Could it be that you are playing Valorant (new FPS Game by Riot Games) and therefore have Vanguard (their Kernel-level anticheat) running on your system?
I have a similar situation where I can't run both programs at the same time, because Vanguard blocks Fan Control and when I open it, it looks like your screenshot with everything missing but the Curves.

If that is the case, my workaround for this problem is to not automatically start Fan Control on system startup (because then Vanguard blocks it and fucks up your Configuration).
I start my PC, close Vanguard and open Fan Control, after Vanguard is completely closed.
I can't get both programs to work simultaneously, when I am playing Valorant, I just have to endure the starting JET under my table :)

I hope I could help, have nice day.

Atomi00

thank you @Rem0o, ive been looking for a speedfan alternative since I updated my rig and this is amazing! thank you for the hardwork and consistent updates!

5 hours ago, Atomi00 said:

Hello V1k1,

Could it be that you are playing Valorant (new FPS Game by Riot Games) and therefore have Vanguard (their Kernel-level anticheat) running on your system?
I have a similar situation where I can't run both programs at the same time, because Vanguard blocks Fan Control and when I open it, it looks like your screenshot with everything missing but the Curves.

If that is the case, my workaround for this problem is to not automatically start Fan Control on system startup (because then Vanguard blocks it and fucks up your Configuration).
I start my PC, close Vanguard and open Fan Control, after Vanguard is completely closed.
I can't get both programs to work simultaneously, when I am playing Valorant, I just have to endure the starting JET under my table :)

I hope I could help, have nice day.

Atomi00

You're on to something. My OpenFanControl (OFC) had been just fine with Valorant running - but it was only up until updating to OFC 19 yesterday where issues came up. I noticed upon start up, Valorant says it prevented OFC from starting (see image). I exited Valorant from the system tray, and now OFC shows the CPU temps, and gave me back by Speeds section, but not the controls section (see other image).

I turned off autostart on OFC, rebooted, closed Valorant, started OFC, and it's still only giving me Speeds and Curves, and still shows CPU temps. Also, on log in, Valorant now says it's preventing starting of MSI after burner...! It wasn't doing this a week ago -_-

Side question, will OFC work with Battleeye games..? Speedfan didn't. I know I can quickly try but if I'm already having issues, my test may not be accurate. Plus gives Rem0o an idea of what to expect :)

yes.PNG

updated11.PNG

6 minutes ago, V1k1 said:

You're on to something. (...)

Side question, will OFC work with Battleeye games..? Speedfan didn't. I know I can quickly try but if I'm already having issues, my test may not be accurate. Plus gives Rem0o an idea of what to expect :)

Oh god, didn't think such invasive anti-cheats would cause issues... It probably restricts Ring 0 access, which is needed for the kernel driver to communicate with the SuperIO chip. 

26 minutes ago, Rem0o said:

Oh god, didn't think such invasive anti-cheats would cause issues... It probably restricts Ring 0 access, which is needed for the kernel driver to communicate with the SuperIO chip. 

Yeah.. :( I had less issues with OFC over Speedfan, which is a big reason I switched. And I'm in love with the UI.

Rem0o, are you able to tackle this? :) Again, things were working fine before version 19. Not sure if that means anything. Also not sure if it was an update on the anti cheat side which began causing issues. :(

1 hour ago, V1k1 said:

Yeah.. :( I had less issues with OFC over Speedfan, which is a big reason I switched. And I'm in love with the UI.

Rem0o, are you able to tackle this? :) Again, things were working fine before version 19. Not sure if that means anything. Also not sure if it was an update on the anti cheat side which began causing issues. :(

Nothing changed from 18 to 19 from a functional stand point, only UI tweaks. If it decides to block the .sys file, there is nothing I can do as it is the kernel driver for the software.