FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

14 minutes ago, Rem0o said:

Update

• Added error log file
  • The linear fan curve now ignore the hysteresis at the temperature bounds

I noticed sometime the linear fan curve would not go to its idle state (minimum) or full load (maximum) state since the hysteresis would prevent it. This is annoying if your minimum fan speed is 0% since it prevents it to stop. To fix that, the hysteresis (not the response time) is now ignored at the limits so the fan curve will "snap" to its minimum or maximum bound when near it.

I wish the like button was a love button, because I love this.

20 hours ago, Rem0o said:

@orbbec

Assuming this is chinese? The window flashing is the windows shell trying to open the software. Clearly something is wrong, but I don't think the software is geared up to diagnose a crash like this.  Might have something to do with the language, as Windows is always doing funny stuff when it comes to language. Can you DM me your userConfig.json file?

userConfig.json

21 hours ago, Rem0o said:

@orbbec

Assuming this is chinese? The window flashing is the windows shell trying to open the software. Clearly something is wrong, but I don't think the software is geared up to diagnose a crash like this.  Might have something to do with the language, as Windows is always doing funny stuff when it comes to language. Can you DM me your userConfig.json file?

OK 

I love this, now I can finally set my case fan curve to be dependent on system temp instead of CPU temp like my BIOS forces me to, to avoid them spinning up randomly on CPU spikes!

Thanks!

Edit: I'm on an MSI z270 gaming pro carbon, using an aio connected to cpu pump header. All the case fans can be controlled fine, however the cpu fans (if they are fan control #1 / #2) seem to have no effect, but they work fine anyways. The GPU Fan control also has no effect, i think that is overridden by the Firestorm app.

For my use case it is still great as I only need to control the case fans. And all the temperatures can be read correctly as well.

3 hours ago, permissionBRICK said:

Edit: I'm on an MSI z270 gaming pro carbon, using an aio connected to cpu pump header. All the case fans can be controlled fine, however the cpu fans (if they are fan control #1 / #2) seem to have no effect, but they work fine anyways. The GPU Fan control also has no effect, i think that is overridden by the Firestorm app.

For my use case it is still great as I only need to control the case fans. And all the temperatures can be read correctly as well.

There can be conflict with other software / settings as you mentionned. However, in my case, the CPU header can't go under 17% as a protection, so I guess certain motherboards / bios have restrictions on how you can control these headers.

Hello! I have a problem.The software itself is working properly but whenever I start the program and exit out of it I can't start it again unless I delete the .json file in the folder. So I have to configure it all over again everytime. Also the script for system startup isn't working but that might be due to the fact that I can't start it with the .json file in the folder. How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, TheMrMire said:

Hello! I have a problem.The software itself is working properly but whenever I start the program and exit out of it I can't start it again unless I delete the .json file in the folder. So I have to configure it all over again everytime. Also the script for system startup isn't working but that might be due to the fact that I can't start it with the .json file in the folder. How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance!

You are not the first to mention that issue, but since not everybody has that issue, it might be system-dependent, which could be a nightmare to debug. I added some specific error-logging for that issue in the version I just uploaded. If you could download that new version and report the logs / error message, that would be great.

UPDATE

I figured out the bug people were having with restoring settings. Thanks for sending me logs.  
It's fixed in the latest update.

On 3/27/2020 at 12:22 AM, Rem0o said:

UPDATE

I figured out the bug people were having with restoring settings. Thanks for sending me logs.  
It's fixed in the latest update.

👍😘

Software works great, but it's displaying more fan controls than I have fan headers. There are two fan control tiles that simply don't seem to map to any available fan header. This is on an MSI X99A MPOWER motherboard.

Any chance of being able to hide fan controls that we're not using?

3 hours ago, Leapo said:

Software works great, but it's displaying more fan controls than I have fan headers. There are two fan control tiles that simply don't seem to map to any available fan header. This is on an MSI X99A MPOWER motherboard.

Any chance of being able to hide fan controls that we're not using?

That means the SuperIO chip detected for your board has more channels than MSI actually interfaced with headers... 

Might add an other checkbox to hide disabled controls or something like that. Anyway I plan to rework the whole UI at some point, it's getting clunky.

Update

• FAT TRIMMING

I did quite a bit of fat trimming in the UI. Everything was unnecessary large for the most part, so I reduced the font size and margins of pretty much everything. I know it's still kind of bloated, but it's a start 😅

image.thumb.png.ce9c0af7940e18fee0d665a7ef59dc45.png

Just a thought, but what about going more Windows-native with the UI? I mocked up a quick example of what that could look like:

FanControlRedesign.png

On 3/9/2020 at 1:41 PM, Rem0o said:

In elevated ( run as admin ) command prompt, type the following:

SCHTASKS /CREATE /SC ONLOGON /TN "FanControl" /TR "C:\Whatever\Folder\FanControl.exe" /V1 /RL HIGHEST /DELAY 0000:30

This is exactly the task I'm running on my computer and it works great.

When I try to create this task it asks for a password and I don't know what password is this, I tried every password that I know.

Never did this before, can someone help me?

2 hours ago, Deh said:

When I try to create this task it asks for a password and I don't know what password is this, I tried every password that I know.

Never did this before, can someone help me?

I added a script to create the task in the zip if you download the latest version, it should ask your windows user's password since the task will run as admin.

7 hours ago, Leapo said:

Just a thought, but what about going more Windows-native with the UI? I mocked up a quick example of what that could look like:

I quite like the look! However, information density seems to be even lower than the actual design.

1 hour ago, Rem0o said:

I quite like the look! However, information density seems to be even lower than the actual design.

Yeah, I'm aware. Pretty much unavoidable with modern UI apps if you want to use Microsoft's standard controls. That's why I wound up splitting fan speeds, controls, and curves into separate sections, select-able via the sidebar.

You could, of course, design your own custom controls to get things packed tighter in the content area of the window.

2 hours ago, Hakemon said:

I'm gonna guess that the chances of THIS particular machine working with this software is going to be quite slim.  2008 Mac Pro prototype running the latest boot ROM that was ever available for it (Insyde H2O dated 2005ish).

Macs Fan Control works, but I was hoping to gain your programs capabilities.

What can I say, no Mac support here 😬.

The simple fact your GPU is actually detected properly is a miracle to me already.

Update

• Changed the default theme of the app to HOT PINK!
  • Added a paywall to be able to change theme, which requires premium subscription from only 9.99$ per month!

Enjoy!

image.thumb.png.60ca929d7902b0c83a3d6e1639df5944.png

Is there a way to one time purchase for a set amount or any plans for that?

32 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

$9.99 a month?  For a fan control app?

Damn I'm glad it's April 1st.  :D

Only if you want a new skin! The existing features will stay free.

By the way, themes will be available only through loot boxes which will be awarded for each month of subscription. Certain colors will be more rare than others.

Exciting isn't it?

Like dark mode [LEGENDARY] 

DarkMode.PNG.4fc513eb8254a85515d6bfd6db5edc1f.PNG

I've never seen this thread!

Just tried it, monitoring fans seems to work perfectly, didn't try fan control or curves yet (as I'm using another software and rather not mess with it at this time). Only thing I noticed is that GPU temperature measures are not working: it sees all the sensors but just reads 0ºC for all of them. It also report some "phantom" sensors (GPU Liquid?). There are some generic temp readings I have yet to map.

Hardware:

• Motherboard: ASRock X399 Taichi
  • CPU: Threadripper 1920X
  • GPU: Vega 56 (Sapphire Pulse)

I'll give it a shot in other machines when I can.

I've downloaded FanControl and have Libre Hardware Monitor. However, when I go to run the FanControl app, nothing opens up(nothing in the task bar tray either). Is there a specific location I need to put the folder or some config I have to do?

Thanks in advance!