FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

Great work on the app Remi. 

Not sure if this is useful or not, but I tried it out on my Asus ROG STRIX B450-I motherboard. It can detect all the fans and speeds correctly, but can't control the fan speeds. I made sure to to disable the Asus AI fan controller software, but no joy (no error in the logs, but fans simply do not adjust speed to what's on the screen). 

If you ever end up putting the source on GIT I'd be happy to contribute as I'd really love to have something control my case fans based on GPU temps. 

1 minute ago, chrispy_656348 said:

Great work on the app Remi. 

Not sure if this is useful or not, but I tried it out on my Asus ROG STRIX B450-I motherboard. It can detect all the fans and speeds correctly, but can't control the fan speeds. I made sure to to disable the Asus AI fan controller software, but no joy (no error in the logs, but fans simply do not adjust speed to what's on the screen). 

If you ever end up putting the source on GIT I'd be happy to contribute as I'd really love to have something control my case fans based on GPU temps. 

If you want to contribute, you can head over here:

https://github.com/LibreHardwareMonitor/LibreHardwareMonitor.

Or here https://github.com/openhardwaremonitor/openhardwaremonitor

Hardware support comes from these libraries. Fan Control is only a UI skin built on top.

4 hours ago, V1k1 said:

and it's still only giving me Speeds and Curves, and still shows CPU temps. Also, on log in, Valorant now says it's preventing starting of MSI after burner...! It wasn't doing this a week ago -_-

I fixed the problem by creating a completely new configuration (deleting the old file) and never running the both programs simultaneously again.
You can back up your configuration file and restore it, in case you accidently start Fan Control while Vanguard is running. Vanguard will only destroy the current configuration and you can replace it with the backup file.

Also there is an option in MSI Afterburner settings called Enable Low Level IO Driver, you can disable that and it will work again.
Maybe there is a similar fix like this for Fan Control @Rem0o ?

3 hours ago, V1k1 said:

Again, things were working fine before version 19. Not sure if that means anything. Also not sure if it was an update on the anti cheat side which began causing issues.

It was an update of the anticheat which made it more check more thoroughly, nothing to do with Fan Control.

Its so stupid they start blocking this program too. That was the reason why I stopped using speedfan and was so lucky finding this program still working with r6 siege.

6 hours ago, sleck said:

Its so stupid they start blocking this program too. That was the reason why I stopped using speedfan and was so lucky finding this program still working with r6 siege.

Soon games will be their own OS that you can't install anything on.

Update 20

• Added step parameter in control card

You can now limit yourself how fast a control can change its %. It was previously hard coded to 8%, now you can go from 1%/sec to 15%/sec, for smoother or faster transitions.

image.png.e0848964a61f88034de785161079cfdc.png

Enjoy!

16 hours ago, Atomi00 said:

I fixed the problem by creating a completely new configuration (deleting the old file) and never running the both programs simultaneously again.
You can back up your configuration file and restore it, in case you accidently start Fan Control while Vanguard is running. Vanguard will only destroy the current configuration and you can replace it with the backup file.

Also there is an option in MSI Afterburner settings called Enable Low Level IO Driver, you can disable that and it will work again.
Maybe there is a similar fix like this for Fan Control @Rem0o ?

It was an update of the anticheat which made it more check more thoroughly, nothing to do with Fan Control.

Thanks for this. I created an entirely new configuration and saved the config file elsewhere as backup. I will eventually run both together and use my backup to see if it fixes it just as a test/safety measure.

I just looked online at all the issues Valorant Anti Cheat is causing.. 😮. I hope there's a way around this for Fan Control (and all the other programs for everyone's sake).

Thanks Rem0o for the updates!

I can confirm this great software works with "MSI - B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC"

To identify the fans, so far can't get fans to go completely to zero, so I had to set the lowest speed posible and then stop them by hand, the RPM readout will go to zero.

also, @Rem0o is there a way to change the system tray icon? something like a white fan blades (like your avatar) would look better than text FC...

Looking around,

bla bla bla this, meh that!

20 minutes ago, pGuerrerox said:

also, @Rem0o is there a way to change the system tray icon? something like a white fan blades (like your avatar) would look better than text FC...

image.png.41f789f99d7452562bb168fdea26fa4c.png

FC is just a placeholder before you choose your temperature.

20 minutes ago, Rem0o said:

image.png.41f789f99d7452562bb168fdea26fa4c.png

FC is just a placeholder before you choose your temperature.

oh, I see.

would be nice to have the placeholder be a nice looking icon, just like the one on your avatar.

Untitled.png.d56d635a633f5ddfc456820d5908deeb.png

also, notice that when changing the label on the controls section the cursor indicator does not show (imposible to know where letters will be inserted), I think it is the cards color's.

Looking around,

bla bla bla this, meh that!

36 minutes ago, pGuerrerox said:

oh, I see.

would be nice to have the placeholder be a nice looking icon, just like the one on your avatar.

Untitled.png.d56d635a633f5ddfc456820d5908deeb.png

also, notice that when changing the label on the controls section the cursor indicator does not show (imposible to know where letters will be inserted), I think it is the cards color's.

Both valid points!

I will replace the FC with the app icon.

I will look into a way to make the control card highlights visible.

I've got a WD Blue 4.0TB HDD, that is mostly used for backup. When FC is not running, the HDD falls into sleep mode and then keeps sleeping for hours and the PC keeps quiet. However, having FC running, the HDD keeps spinning all the time. Guess it has to do with polling of temperatures? In FC, the WD HDD temp can be chosen as temp source.

(And...I would not be surprised if you would get more Paypal donations if you stop asking for it using a pop-up dialogue... 😉 )

5 hours ago, klugHads said:

I've got a WD Blue 4.0TB HDD, that is mostly used for backup. When FC is not running, the HDD falls into sleep mode and then keeps sleeping for hours and the PC keeps quiet. However, having FC running, the HDD keeps spinning all the time. Guess it has to do with polling of temperatures? In FC, the WD HDD temp can be chosen as temp source.

(And...I would not be surprised if you would get more Paypal donations if you stop asking for it using a pop-up dialogue...  )

Yup, polling the HDD with the API probably prevents it from going to sleep. If that is an issue, I might make the HDD optionals or something.

As for the pop-up, it's a balancing game. Sometime you need to buff it, sometime maybe you need to nerf it. It's all about where the meta-game is headed 😉.

I've just made an account to thank you !

I tested this software few weeks ago, and it did'nt work with my aorus elite x570 motherboard.

Now with the latest version, all is working perfectly. I've been waiting a replacement to speedfan for a while now, and this software is juste perfect. Until now, only the gigabyte/aorus awful crapware could do the job, but it was not very reliable nor very user friendly.

So again thanks a lot for your work !

1 hour ago, Rem0o said:

Yup, polling the HDD with the API probably prevents it from going to sleep. If that is an issue, I might make the HDD optionals or something.

As for the pop-up, it's a balancing game. Sometime you need to buff it, sometime maybe you need to nerf it. It's all about where the meta-game is headed 😉.

Just an idea: When configuring is done & saved and FC is running in the background, only sensors for the selected temperature sources need be read, if possible and if it helps. However, I don't know how LibreHardwareMonitor works.

After update 21, my Fan Control software will start, but the window/UI won't come up anymore. It appears in the system tray with the temperature reading.

I reinstalled completely, and it has the same issue. I have also rebooted. I haven't changed any programs or start up tasks since updating to 21. Everything is the same except updating to the latest version. Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind, I simply held down shift, right clicked it in the system taskbar, and clicked maximize and it came up. Weird it wouldn't show earlier! I only have one screen running

3 minutes ago, V1k1 said:

After update 21, my Fan Control software will start, but the window/UI won't come up anymore. It appears in the system tray with the temperature reading.

I reinstalled completely, and it has the same issue. I have also rebooted. I haven't changed any programs or start up tasks since updating to 21. Everything is the same except updating to the latest version. Any ideas?

Any logs in log.txt?

18 minutes ago, Rem0o said:

Any logs in log.txt?

Sorry, I made an edit to my post - Nevermind, I simply held down shift, right clicked it in the system taskbar, and clicked maximize and it came up. Weird it wouldn't show earlier! I only have one screen running.

It's just weird after the update, it changed the way it launches. If I close and relaunch, it pops up normally. Guess it was my system! Weird.

No changes to the launch behavior on my side after the update to 21, just checked it.

15 minutes ago, V1k1 said:

Sorry, I made an edit to my post - Nevermind, I simply held down shift, right clicked it in the system taskbar, and clicked maximize and it came up. Weird it wouldn't show earlier! I only have one screen running.

It's just weird after the update, it changed the way it launches. If I close and relaunch, it pops up too.

Oh... did you swap your screen setup? Like from 2 to 1 or something? The window remembers its last location. If the window was on a screen that isn't there anymore, unexpected behavior may occur.

1 minute ago, Rem0o said:

Oh... did you swap your screen setup? Like from 2 to 1 or something? The window remembers its last location. If the window was on a screen that isn't there anymore, unexpected behavior may occur.

Set up is the same (2 monitors), but when I work remote I use my main monitor as a second screen for the work laptop then the PC uses my second monitor as the main single monitor. I always have Fan Control on my second screen on the PC when I have both monitors. I always had it this way before and it was fine. This time it just decided to not want to come up. Maybe I had it on the other monitor when I shut down? But if the desktop only detects 1 screen then everything should pop up to the one, regardless?

I'm not worried, just thought I'd mention it. Never had it happen before, not even with other programs from what I can tell. I'm still having a blast with this software, I love it!

23 minutes ago, V1k1 said:

I'm still having a blast with this software

Oof, I see what you did there.

honestly made an account just to thank you, 

been struggling with speedfan for around a month now with my first pc. downloaded this and had my case fans following gpu temps within 10 minutes.

mobo is an ASUS MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z 

gpu is a gtx 1060.

again thank you

On 5/5/2020 at 3:42 PM, Rem0o said:

Yes, I would really appreciate that. If possible and if it helps, read temperatures only from the sources that are actually used in the configuration. FC is outstanding and I really want to use it (with a quiet HDD 😉 )