FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

26 minutes ago, fumantsu said:

For me which fans are displayed by Libre but not yours?

Displayed is one thing, but functional is an other. If you right click on them in Libre, can you change the fan %? I filter out some sensors with missing features to be able to control them properly.

Would it be possible to add a feature where instead of doing a mix fan curve(I have set to GPU and CPU), it targets the higher of the two?

For example, if I have a curve for my GPU: 55c - 80c Case fans: 30% - 80%, and a curve for my CPU: 60c - 75c Case fans: 30% - 80%, instead of doing a mix of the two, it targets the higher one(e.g. CPU: 80c and GPU: 40c, fans would be at 80% targeting the CPU instead of a mix where it would be at like 50%). Sometimes I'm rendering and my CPU is running hot and I want to pump air to it, but of course my GPU is cool, or vise versa for gaming.

P.S. Awesome program you've created and I'm extremely grateful for it!

48 minutes ago, FreezingTaz said:

Would it be possible to add a feature where instead of doing a mix fan curve(I have set to GPU and CPU), it targets the higher of the two?

For example, if I have a curve for my GPU: 55c - 80c Case fans: 30% - 80%, and a curve for my CPU: 60c - 75c Case fans: 30% - 80%, instead of doing a mix of the two, it targets the higher one(e.g. CPU: 80c and GPU: 40c, fans would be at 80% targeting the CPU instead of a mix where it would be at like 50%). Sometimes I'm rendering and my CPU is running hot and I want to pump air to it, but of course my GPU is cool, or vise versa for gaming.

P.S. Awesome program you've created and I'm extremely grateful for it!

I think mixed fan curve is allready doing exact this.

1 hour ago, GrumpyNarf said:

I think mixed fan curve is allready doing exact this.

Ok, I wasn't sure. It seemed to be taking the average, but I could be wrong.

It is DC controlled if you choose it in your BIOS/UEFI.

SpeedFan could change between PWM or DC without changing the BIOS, it all comes down to what you tell the Super IO chip to do

10 hours ago, FreezingTaz said:

This is exactly how it behave. Maybe I should add a caption somewhere to say the function applied is "Max".

24 minutes ago, rikuu said:

SpeedFan could change between PWM or DC without changing the BIOS, it all comes down to what you tell the Super IO chip to do

I don't have the bindings to do so.

38 minutes ago, Rem0o said:

I don't have the bindings to do so.

Thank you for your fast response

On 4/7/2020 at 8:21 PM, richard_from_the_future said:

...I was going to use Mixed profiles as an input to Mixed profiles... think of the possibilities!  😄

Now a reality!  So much has changed in the last 2 weeks since I was on here.  Thanks for the updates, installing now.

Hi, I joined the forum just to say you've done a really great job on this! I downloaded it a few days ago and it's really improved my general usage. 

Speedfan worked for me but it breaks and locks the fans whenever I resume from sleep, meaning I have to hunt down the process and kill it before restarting it, which is a pain every time.

One question though: could you make the source available somewhere? I'm an experienced software engineer and I would love to help you maintain and improve the software. If you'd rather not open it up, I understand.

Thanks again for your effort. Really great piece of software. 👍

Update 15

• You can now reorder your cards with drag and drop

Simply click an empty section of a card and drag it around. The order is saved with your config.

Enjoy!

On 4/23/2020 at 8:06 PM, Rem0o said:

Displayed is one thing, but functional is an other. If you right click on them in Libre, can you change the fan %? I filter out some sensors with missing features to be able to control them properly.

Nope. Indeed, there is no control menu. At least would be nice to be shown (with some warning that may not be able to control it)

After update 16 i lost all my saved config, everything seems to be default now.

25 minutes ago, Kaktuch said:

After update 16 i lost all my saved config, everything seems to be default now.

That's odd, nothing changed in that area. If you got file history on, you could try to get back your userConfig.json?

Ok, I've recreated everything manually already. It might be a problem on my side. I've just mentioned it in case it was a bug in new release. Just for info, for previous updates I haven't got any problems.

Not picking up my GPU fans... rog strix rtx2070s

f1aed7374ee1878a460238383d85a353.png

3 minutes ago, trowieuk said:

Not picking up my GPU fans... rog strix rtx2070s

Can you send me the "Copy log to clipboard" in dm?

This software looks amazing, no doubt you've put a ton of time into it. A few questions:

What license is it under?
Since it has the word "Open" in it, is it actually an open license? Do you have a github link we can take a peek at?

I love what you're doing here, but I'm a bit worried about running a random binary on a forum post.

Just now, wurmr said:

This software looks amazing, no doubt you've put a ton of time into it. A few questions:

What licenses is it under?
Since it has the word "Open" in it, is it actually an open license? Do you have a github link we can take a peek at?

"Open" was just because it is based on OpenHardwareMonitor (the dll is in there unmodified). However since my source is not open, I removed the "open" from the name to avoid confusion. However, you can't rename a forum post AFAIK, so here we are.

I love what you're doing here, but I'm a bit worried about running a random binary on a forum post.

Well, the fact you are worried is a good thing 😄, because at the end of the day, it is a random binary on a forum post, just a very good one!

Update 17

• Mixing functions: Max and Sum

Default is max as before, but you can now choose sum to create a variable offset.

image.png.a52e6dd781975a19bf7a5392fe73b8ae.png

Enjoy!

31 minutes ago, Rem0o said:

"Open" was just because it is based on OpenHardwareMonitor (the dll is in there unmodified). However since my source is not open, I removed the "open" from the name to avoid confusion. However, you can't rename a forum post AFAIK, so here we are.

Well, the fact you are worried is a good thing 😄, because at the end of the day, it is a random binary on a forum post, just a very good one!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Do you have plans to formalize the closed nature of this software at all? Would you consider releasing it under an OSS and posting it on github? You can still get donations via that route.

Again, it's amazing work and looks to be exactly what a lot of us are looking for. Thank you for the effort.