FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

The issue mentioned by @HaiDat was diagnosed and fixed. The version is up on the download link.

Hi, what an awesome program this is! The settings, the overview and simpleness (compared to speedfan for example) of everything is just perfect. Everything works for me, besides my GPU fan. Matching the fan automatically does not work (because it probably cannot control the fan speed of the GPU) and when I manually match them, setting a flat fan speed and applying it doesn't seem to do anything. I have an XFX (AMD) RX 5700 with an ASRock B450 Pro4. I don't have any BIOS settings for the fan speed and the only thing that seems to influence the fanspeed of the GPU is AMD Radeon Software. Is there any way I can override it without completely uninstalling it?

Also, one feature which would be useful to have is being able to change the order of the panels (so this counts for controls speeds and curves). This way you can group the controls and curves together more easily.

19 hours ago, Rem0o said:

The issue mentioned by @HaiDat was diagnosed and fixed. The version is up on the download link.

Could you version tag / label the download link and files?

2 minutes ago, omniac said:

Could you version tag / label the download link and files?

Working on OTA update next, so yes, it's coming.

I would like some graphs for the sensors. Would that be possible? Like graph cards. :)

At last I found an amazing app. I was having to use the MSI Dragon Center for my motherboard, and it was having a serious impact in performance (I'm talking about 5% synthethic performance drop, every single time, while the app was open, and that's on a 3600x).

It works for MSI X570-A PRO, at least for PWM mode on fans.

One thing that would be amazing would be something like "Profiles", that could be easily activated from the system tray. Just create a profile with the desired values, and save it, then you can right click the icon and choose it. I've tried to create the best fan curves, but spikes in CPU usage (like opening 10 tabs in the browser at once) make the fans speed up for some seconds, and even with step up and step down times, still don't like that, so setting two profiles (like, "Idle" and "Games"), with flat 30% and 80-100% curve (or even 80% flat) respectively, would be great.

@Nagasaky2x

Glad you like it! I was in the exact same situation as you with an MSI board. Dragon Center is mostly useless and quite frankly, awful at what it's supposed to do. It was a big motivation to start this project.

I like your profile idea.  While I would like to give enough parameters and controls to create "one curve to rule them all", that might not be possible. In any case, could you share a screenshot of your Fan Control config. I'm curious how "Response time" doesn't cover your 10 tabs opening in chrome.

I used to have them all like this:

Until 50º are reached, stay at 30%. From there, start ramping up to 80% until 60º are reached. From there, ramp up to 100% until 70º.

Now I'm trying another approach, but the thing is the same. Maybe with a long step up time and a short step down time?. Anyway, when I open the tabs, the CPU goes to like 62º and then after 10 second it goes down again to around 40º, and then when it goes idle it's rare that anything spikes it over 50º. Right now I'm using your app to tie the front fans to the GPU, as that's my main source of noise and I want them working when I play games.

Attached a couple of screenshots anyway, with the CPU and front curves, and also the "old" front fan curve. Also, one problem I have is that when I game, the CPU is usually quite cool most of the time so the front fans stay too low and the other components get fried. I will be tying it to the GPU as for now, it's great it can be done.

By the way, using the "Register_Startup_Task" is giving problems. It says that it can't find the FanControl.exe when it tries on startup, is this known? thanks.

MSI_SnapShot.bmp MSI_SnapShot_00.bmp MSI_SnapShot_01.bmp

25 minutes ago, Nagasaky2x said:

By the way, using the "Register_Startup_Task" is giving problems. It says that it can't find the FanControl.exe when it tries on startup, is this known? thanks.

The script must be executed from the same folder as the exe in order to "see" it.

Also, I meant your config in Fan Control, not MSI 😅

I execute the script on the same folder (I moved everything to D:/FanControl), but it does the same.

Oh, and for Fan Control, I'm using this right now, and that has solved my fan speed change issues.

image.png.f518d8929f9d7e055354a7898be9843c.png

I use the GPU one for the front fans, which stay at around 500 RPM (2xML140) most of the time, and the "Trasero" for the back one (case original fan, Corsair 275q).

Update

- Added OTA update

The application will now check its version when started compared to the one on the server. If it is outdated, it will download an updater that will then download the new version and start it back up.

Version is a simple whole number, so 1,2,3....

image.png.a36cf4ee3e6353ffdcb35d105f7549a4.png

This whole OTA thing is quite new to me, so I'm not too sure if it will stay that way, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

Thank you so much for this, working fine on a Maximus VI Gene, including the fan control of a MSI RX 580 Armor 8G OC! Absolutely perfect!

I did change the task scheduler to start with the Users account and at log on, this allows for the app to start minimized to tray for whatever user is using the PC.

Something I noticed that could be useful is a toggle for critical temperature. For example, I undervolt my GPU. While I was testing the application I got a GPU driver crash, but did not notice that the voltages got reset. So I ended up forcing a completely inadequate fan curve that just couldn't handle the temperature, and it did get much higher than I'd like (88ºC).

I don't run any of the fans at 100% on max temp, in order to maintain flat and silent fan speeds while gaming, but if things get toasty for some reason, I'd like to know they'll ramp up to 100% if a certain temperature is exceed, just to be on the safe side.

Fan Control Update 4

• Added more info on Mixed fan curve card to indicate the current fan curve (max) running
  • Fixed its height that would stretch to the biggest in its row

image.png.4064bfa64ef21cd1fde5afdf7d49cb91.png

The update should trigger a popup when you start the app. Otherwise you can click on ....

image.png.23f69360546d80c92958413d3adfd938.png

Enjoy!

Fan Control Update 5

In an effort to make the layout more compact....

image.png.0a02404a187ddc2d893a5e7582c9cda7.png

• Added expander to linear fan curve
  • Minimized view provides the monitoring metrics you want (% and temp)
  • Maximized view shows the parameters

I can no longer open the UI. The application starts, and it is working, but the window won't open.

It is probably related to having connected a 4K TV, and changing the displays layout and scaling.

I've attached the log and the userConfig.json, hope it helps!

EDIT: So I fixed it by editing the userConfig.json values \"Top\": -6,\r\n  \"Left\": 2560,\r\n to a random number:  \"Top\": 5,\r\n  \"Left\": 5,\r\n, which I guess is the window position.

log.txt

userConfig.json

32 minutes ago, Seketh said:

I can no longer open the UI. The application starts, and it is working, but the window won't open.

It is probably related to having connected a 4K TV, and changing the displays layout and scaling.

I've attached the log and the userConfig.json, hope it helps!

The only error I can see is the deserialization process of the server version info... 

I added better error handling around that area, which should not block the UI if it fails in an unexpected way.

It seems like saving mixed curves is not working. I choose the two curves, I push on save config, and exit the application. When i open it again, it shows:

image.png.7461b10cdf309b4b0b8e58d6cf9c04b3.png

3 hours ago, Nagasaky2x said:

It seems like saving mixed curves is not working. I choose the two curves, I push on save config, and exit the application. When i open it again, it shows:

Did you create your mixed curve before or after the others?

1 minute ago, Rem0o said:

Did you create your mixed curve before or after the others?

It was before. I recreated it again and now it seems to save. Weird thing, wouldn't that mean that is you want to modify a mixed curve with a newly created linear, for example, it wouldn't save?

Thanks btw.

2 hours ago, Nagasaky2x said:

It was before. I recreated it again and now it seems to save. Weird thing, wouldn't that mean that is you want to modify a mixed curve with a newly created linear, for example, it wouldn't save?

Thanks btw.

Yeah it's a deserialization bug, as the mixed curve is initialized before the others, so it can't select the not-yet-existing curves.

Update 8

NEW fan curve type: synched

• This fan curve can be used to sync controls with each others, with a master-slave relation. You can then, on the "master" control, swap to a flat curve and back to linear curve and all the synced controls will follow suite.
  • You can also use it to sync fans with an other that is controlled with bios / other software.

image.png.e68b0d33b537600067eadbcdb0ab545d.pngimage.png.c1458bab190e58799018c2663de49a78.png

Enjoy.

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but can this control 3-pin fans?

Just now, cam_sally said:

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but can this control 3-pin fans?

If your motherboard has voltage control on them, yup.

11 hours ago, Rem0o said:

If your motherboard has voltage control on them, yup.

Great thank you!

Awesome!

Configured a mixed fan curve to control the front fans in the chassis according to the highest from a linear CPU curve and a linear GPU curve.

In some games the cpu keeps cool while the gpu sweats, and sometimes the CPU works hard rendering videos etc.

Asrock Z390 Mini-ITX / i9-9900K / RTX 2070 MSI Gaming X